Aden Holloway Calls Draymond Green for Advice

toddc

How a call to Draymond Green helped Aden Holloway break out of his slump

It was the first slump of the talented freshman’s career. More than two weeks had gone by since he made a 3-pointer, and Auburn’s baby-faced starting point guard appeared to have lost the flare so evidently clear in his eyes as his smooth swishes turned to iron clangs — especially in a loss to Appalachian State.

So Aden Holloway called Draymond Green.

Holloway met the Golden State Warriors forward through their mutual trainer, Travis Walton. Holloway and Green talk frequently, Walton said, and have occasionally trained together.

Green has been through slumps, suspensions and championships. He watches Holloway’s games when he can. And he’s been a resource to the point guard early in his career.

“He just told me to not focus on anything but giving effort and energy the whole game,” Holloway said of his call with Green. “You go out there and don’t take any possessions off. Just being a freshman, it’s your job to come with effort and energy every night. I feel like that’s what I was lacking. That’s what I tried to do the most tonight.”

And in Auburn’s 104-76 win over Indiana, Holloway brought effort. He brought energy. He broke out of his slump in emphatic fashion with a career-best 24 points and five 3-pointers. 

It was a return of confidence for the freshman guard. It was seen at the end of the first half when Chad Baker-Mazara passed to a wide-open Holloway with six seconds left in the first half. He pulled up for a deep 3-pointer and held his follow through in the air as the ball swished through and those in orange at State Farm Arena erupted. 

It was a return of swagger seen in the second half when Holloway crossed up Indiana guard Trey Galloway so heavily that he spun around backward, leaving Holloway for an open jump shot. 

It was an on-court presence brought forth by an emphasis for Holloway to shoot, and to shoot early. He made two 3s in the first three minutes. He just had to see a shot go down.

“So let’s just say the first time the world saw Aden in a college basketball game was against Baylor. He shot it really well,” Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl said Thursday before Auburn played Indiana. “So we did some things in that Baylor game that you’re like ‘Wow. He can really shoot it.’ Well, the opponents have seen that, too, now. And so they’re doing some things defensively to not try to let him shoot it as easily. And then as a result, we have to work harder to get him those shots, and or then he’s got to do other things to take advantage of how the defenses are guarding him.” 

Auburn had to find new ways to get Holloway open. Defenses weren’t going to allow him to just take open shots anymore now that he’d proved a propensity to make deep shots over Auburn’s opening five games. 

Holloway said Auburn worked to get him free by having him come off screens. It’s something Walton said he’s been working on with the young guard. 

“Just get a little opening and see the rim, get a clean shot off,” Holloway said. “Didn’t really have to draw a foul or anything. I got some clean looks early, which got me going. From there, it was good after that.” 

Auburn’s ability to adjust to allow for its best shooter to produce led to Holloway’s five triples in one game, the most of his early career.

And when Auburn gets play like that from Holloway, the whole team returns to shooting form around him. Auburn made 14 3-pointers against Indiana, breaking out of the whole team’s slump of the last three games entirely. Auburn’s 14 makes Saturday were more than it made over the last three games combined. It was almost triple what Auburn made in the last two, especially after going 3-27 against Appalachian State. 

And when Aubrun shoots like that, it can put up highly efficient days like this one  albeit probably not scoring 100 point the whole time. 

Holloway has quickly settled into college, and now dealt with his first bump. It appears advice from an NBA champion might have helped a bit. 

Matt Cohen c

• Like 1
  • Love 2

It's because of AAU ball mostly now.  This is an example of what I try to explain to people on the football side as far as recruiting and relationships and how deep it goes. On the recruiting visits and stuff you should always treat people well, you never know who they might know or represent

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's because of AAU ball mostly now.  This is an example of what I try to explain to people on the football side as far as recruiting and relationships and how deep it goes. On the recruiting visits and stuff you should always treat people well, you never know who they might know or represent

Amen! It's the reason Coach Freeze is recruiting so well on the football side. It doesn't matter if it's in the business world or coaching. If you are friendly to people and give them your time, they will respond to you. If you are cold, aloof, and unfriendly, they won't give you the time of day. And why should they?