Reminiscing On Past Signing Days

Chaotic_zx

17 hours ago, Viper said:

And as I said in another thread, Dye came in when bahr was retiring, making it an even bigger shift in recruiting momentum.

If bahr had been young enough and healthy enough to continue an extra 10 years, I don’t believe Dye would have had the superb recruiting success he ended up with.

The same (or similar) effect can be predicted for the Freeze intro / Saban outro.

(Sorry to double post) but I'll believe Nicky is retiring when I see it. He strikes me as a Bobby Bowden/JoePa type (minus the well...you know).

2 hours ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

All your points are spot on

And the single biggest victory for Pat Dye in his tenure at AU was out recruiting Bryant for Bo

True but Bo was considered around a 3-star. Only AU and bammer recruited him. And as we all know, Bo was told by a bammer assistant he wouldn’t play until his Junior season, which has to go down as the biggest recruiting goof in the history of the two teams.

bammer was never honest about anything. Why did they not they lie to Bo? Must have been so arrogant believing they had every other RB wanting to play for bammer, they could be that bold.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AUwent said:

(Sorry to double post) but I'll believe Nicky is retiring when I see it. He strikes me as a Bobby Bowden/JoePa type (minus the well...you know).

Agreed. He’s a miserable person who only cares about fball. He knows he would be beyond miserable without it.

But Father Time is undefeated, physically and/or mentally. He will come for Saban like he has every other HC. Just a matter of time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

His biggest victory was getting the iron bowl to Auburn.

You could make that argument but I don’t think Dye would have had the stroke to get that done if Bo would have gone to Bammer..because the impact that Dye and Bo had on the program allowed that to take place.

Edited by Bro Johnny Mac

11 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

You could make that argument but I don’t think Dye would have had the stroke to get that done if Bo would have gone to Bammer..because the impact that Dye and Bo had on the program allowed that to take place.

i disagree.  Dye said, from the 1st moment he was hired at Auburn, when it was our home game, as soon as the contract with Birmingham expired, Auburn was going to play the game at Jordan Hare.  And he had the full support of the trustees, mainly Bobby Lowder.   Bo coming to AU didn't factor in the decision to play the game in our stadium.

On 12/15/2023 at 3:09 PM, toddc said:

When is this singing day you speak of? I would love to see the players singing for their scholarship offers. 😝 I hate it when my phone thinks it knows what I want to say better than myself.

At this point in my life, I don't know whether to blame it on my typing, spelling, eyesight, or auto correct.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Viper said:

True but Bo was considered around a 3-star. Only AU and bammer recruited him. And as we all know, Bo was told by a bammer assistant he wouldn’t play until his Junior season, which has to go down as the biggest recruiting goof in the history of the two teams.

bammer was never honest about anything. Why did they not they lie to Bo? Must have been so arrogant believing they had every other RB wanting to play for bammer, they could be that bold.

Bama wanted to play Bo on defense and added that he probably wouldn’t see playing time at running back until junior year.   Dye told him he would give him every opportunity to play running back and the rest is history.   He was also offered 1/4 million to play baseball after high school (which at that time was unheard of).  

45 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Bama wanted to play Bo on defense and added that he probably wouldn’t see playing time at running back until junior year.   Dye told him he would give him every opportunity to play running back and the rest is history.   He was also offered 1/4 million to play baseball after high school (which at that time was unheard of).  

Right I know. Why would bammer not lie about getting PT at RB his Freshman season? Would seem rather easy to close the deal if they had just lied to him. 

I get excited over big commits. My brother always brings me back to earth.

These are kids. A "commitment" is not binding. Until they sign a LOI and fax it in, they do not exist.

Sign 'em up! And WDE!

11 hours ago, Viper said:

Right I know. Why would bammer not lie about getting PT at RB his Freshman season? Would seem rather easy to close the deal if they had just lied to him. 

Bear didn’t even go to see Bo.   Dye did.   That had more of an influence than anything else 

21 hours ago, AUwent said:

There's been rumblings.  NIL is kicking everyone's butt and a lot of coaches are over it. Before this year, I was told it would be 3 years. I'm now hearing it may be a real possibility if they win it this year. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There's been rumblings.  NIL is kicking everyone's butt and a lot of coaches are over it. Before this year, I was told it would be 3 years. I'm now hearing it may be a real possibility if they win it this year. 

They are going to change the rules if the coaches are over it. We need two more years of NIL so we can rebuild the roster. 

Edited by Auburn93

15 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

They are going to change the rules if the coaches are over it. We need two more years of NIL so we can rebuild the roster. 

I'd like a rule change, but how? The courts have ruled and any imaginable limits put on NIL will be against the law. Combined with the transfer rules becoming non-existent, what we have is one helluva mess and measures to get out of said mess will be illegal.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'd like a rule change, but how? The courts have ruled and any imaginable limits put on NIL will be against the law. Combined with the transfer rules becoming non-existent, what we have is one helluva mess and measures to get out of said mess will be illegal.

100% agree.  And now, some jackass politician in Alabama wants to start paying high school football players.  Folks, the entire "amateur" sports world as we have known it is out of control, and it cannot be fixed. 

Edited by tinman1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He is in my opinion positioning himself for retirement. I'm not even paying attention and can tell that. Buying a home in Florida and More Mercedes dealerships there as well leads me to believe this. He is also dipping his feet into broadcasting. I might just drive three hours to Auburn and roll Toomers when he does. It will be a large win for Auburn. 

13 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

He is in my opinion positioning himself for retirement. I'm not even paying attention and can tell that. Buying a home in Florida and More Mercedes dealerships there as well leads me to believe this. He is also dipping his feet into broadcasting. I might just drive three hours to Auburn and roll Toomers when he does. It will be a large win for Auburn. 

So... Wouldn't it be interesting if he was in negotiations with a broadcast company that had influence on whether his team is in or out of the playoffs? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

So... Wouldn't it be interesting if he was in negotiations with a broadcast company that had influence on whether his team gets in or out of the playoffs? 

For as much as I dislike/respect the guy, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. My dislike/respect is because he is no fool and is as dirty as the day is long. So it would make sense in your line of thinking. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chaotic_zx said:

For as much as I dislike/respect the guy, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. My dislike/respect is because he is no fool and is as dirty as the day is long. So it would make sense in your line of thinking. 

Remember who his agent is

• Like 1