Reminiscing On Past Signing Days

Chaotic_zx

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

That is the prevailing thought. I didn't subscribe to it. I've always felt(and may be wrong) it was bama paying. 

I heard it was because Auburn didn't meet his stringent academic requirements. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

That's why you will see a lot of staff changes occur after ESD

Bird - do you expect to see changes to our staff after ENSD? If so, how many?

If we're gonna' reminisce:

I remember listening to an AU basketball game in December of 1967. At half-time the radio crew announced AU's list of football signees that day. Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley were named ! No, recruiting hadn't yet reached the insane levels of interest it holds today. Still, Sully and Beez were a big deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

Bird - do you expect to see changes to our staff after ENSD? If so, how many?

Yes. We'll see, there are a lot of angles. 

There are lots of angles to something like that where someone could be genuine or be hoping for the ensured vacant job. 

Im sure I am naive but that were folks (fans) that thought he might be able to actually climb his way out of the hole he was in. Based on stories which are probably at best half true, he was already doing the bare minimum. 

Honestly a booster telling him that could have been in the best interest of Auburn. 
Sure seems so now!  

3 hours ago, Viper said:

And as I said in another thread, Dye came in when bahr was retiring, making it an even bigger shift in recruiting momentum.

If bahr had been young enough and healthy enough to continue an extra 10 years, I don’t believe Dye would have had the superb recruiting success he ended up with.

The same (or similar) effect can be predicted for the Freeze intro / Saban outro.

Dye was really good at recruiting. If memory serves me, didn’t we get but on probation shortly after Dye left? I think it may have had to do with recruiting violations that he had no clue about …

9 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Dye was really good at recruiting. If memory serves me, didn’t we get but on probation shortly after Dye left? I think it may have had to do with recruiting violations that he had no clue about …

Had nothing to do with recruiting. Larry Blakney, an AU assistant at the time, gave some money and a box of food to married player Eric Ramsey. Ramsey secretly recorded the transaction and that was that.

PS: Knowing the tight ship Dye ran, I find it unlikely that Dye didn't know what was going on.

Edited by Mikey

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Had nothing to do with recruiting. Larry Blakney, an AU assistant at the time, gave some money and a box of food to married player Eric Ramsey. Ramsey secretly recorded the transaction and that was that.

PS: Knowing the tight ship Dye ran, I find it unlikely that Dye didn't know what was going on.

As I recall, it was a box of steaks, Ramsey was saying his kids were going hungry....complete setup job. But back to transfers and recruiting, now that everyone, and not just $puat and UGA can pay players, all the highly rated players warming bench at the top programs can not only line their wallets but also showcase their skills at more needy schools.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I thought it was Dye on the tape?

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

No, it was Young, Dennis, Blakney, and Corky Frost.  And they were just trying to help him, since he was the only player that had a child and he kept telling them he had no money to feed his family, pay his bills, etc…..it was Frost that was giving him the steaks.  

Corky Frost also was the one that got Jelks to record the conversation with the Bama coach about being paid and got that investigation started where they ended up on probation too 😂

Edited by AEAugirl

2 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

No, it was Young, Dennis, Blakney, and Corky Frost.  And they were just trying to help him, since he was the only player that had a child and he kept telling them he had no money to feed his family, pay his bills, etc…..it was Frost that was giving him the steaks.  

Corky Frost also was the one that got Jelks to record the conversation with the Bama coach about being paid and got that investigation started where they ended up on probation too 😂

Gotcha!! Thx for the context.

Oh and Dye’s part in that was he helped Ramsey get like a $9k unsecured loan, I think that was from Colonial so of course Lowder was involved if so.  

8 hours ago, gman87 said:

As I recall, it was a box of steaks, Ramsey was saying his kids were going hungry....complete setup job. But back to transfers and recruiting, now that everyone, and not just $puat and UGA can pay players, all the highly rated players warming bench at the top programs can not only line their wallets but also showcase their skills at more needy schools.

I remember at that time wishing all sorts of ill will On Ramsey.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

It was food and diapers.  Eric came begging to Dye telling him he had no $$$ to support his family.  The entire thing was orchestrated by Eric's wife Twilitta and Donald Watkins, a big time Birmingham attorney at the time.  He worked independently but was also involved the Birmingham city affairs.  Twilitta had already tried to get $$ from someone else by recording their conversations, which she  also did with Auburn coaches.  Many people, myself included, think the entire thing was done to get back at Dye for moving the Iron Bowl from Birmingham.

Long story short, Auburn got hammered for trying to do good for a young family.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Viper said:

And as I said in another thread, Dye came in when bahr was retiring, making it an even bigger shift in recruiting momentum.

If bahr had been young enough and healthy enough to continue an extra 10 years, I don’t believe Dye would have had the superb recruiting success he ended up with.

The same (or similar) effect can be predicted for the Freeze intro / Saban outro.

All your points are spot on

And the single biggest victory for Pat Dye in his tenure at AU was out recruiting Bryant for Bo

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

All your points are spot on

And the single biggest victory for Pat Dye in his tenure at AU was out recruiting Bryant for Bo

His biggest victory was getting the iron bowl to Auburn.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tinman1 said:

It was food and diapers.  Eric came begging to Dye telling him he had no $$$ to support his family.  The entire thing was orchestrated by Eric's wife Twilitta and Donald Watkins, a big time Birmingham attorney at the time.  He worked independently but was also involved the Birmingham city affairs.  Twilitta had already tried to get $$ from someone else by recording their conversations, which she  also did with Auburn coaches.  Many people, myself included, think the entire thing was done to get back at Dye for moving the Iron Bowl from Birmingham.

Long story short, Auburn got hammered for trying to do good for a young family.

Jelks, Langham and Means provided a nice big helping of karma over the next decade at least.