Kent Austin Named QB Coach

toddc

Freeze officially elevates Kent Austin to Auburn QB coach

Austin has been on staff under Freeze since 2019

Nathan King65 mins

Kent Austin has been Hugh Freeze's right-hand man in the quarterback room for the past several seasons, and he's now being elevated to an on-field assistant spot in that role at Auburn.

Austin is officially Auburn's new QBs coach, the program announced Wednesday, after he served as a "special assistant to the head coach" this past season in an off-the-field role for Auburn's offense.

“I’ve known Kent for a long time and worked with him at multiple schools,” Freeze said. “He is a great teacher and developer of quarterbacks and has been a valuable resource to our program this past year.”

Austin has been on staff under Freeze since 2019, when he was hired as Liberty’s co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. He then came with Freeze to Auburn as a special assistant to the head coach, serving as an assistant QB coach to Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery, who was fired earlier this month.

Payton Thorne and Auburn's other quarterbacks mentioned throughout the 2023 season how valuable Austin's instruction has been, and he's now set to take over as their full-time position coach.

“I feel very honored and blessed to be given this new position and am thankful for the trust Coach Freeze has placed with me to develop our quarterbacks at Auburn,” Austin said.

Ole Miss receivers coach Derrick Nix has been hired as the Tigers’ new offensive coordinator — and will also coach running backs, a vacancy created after Cadillac Williams stepped down last Thursday.

“I have full trust in Kent and Derrick as coaches and men to help develop our offensive unit to the standard we expect,” Freeze said.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, toddc said:

Freeze officially elevates Kent Austin to Auburn QB coach

Austin has been on staff under Freeze since 2019

Nathan King65 mins

Kent Austin has been Hugh Freeze's right-hand man in the quarterback room for the past several seasons, and he's now being elevated to an on-field assistant spot in that role at Auburn.

Austin is officially Auburn's new QBs coach, the program announced Wednesday, after he served as a "special assistant to the head coach" this past season in an off-the-field role for Auburn's offense.

“I’ve known Kent for a long time and worked with him at multiple schools,” Freeze said. “He is a great teacher and developer of quarterbacks and has been a valuable resource to our program this past year.”

Austin has been on staff under Freeze since 2019, when he was hired as Liberty’s co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. He then came with Freeze to Auburn as a special assistant to the head coach, serving as an assistant QB coach to Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery, who was fired earlier this month.

Payton Thorne and Auburn's other quarterbacks mentioned throughout the 2023 season how valuable Austin's instruction has been, and he's now set to take over as their full-time position coach.

“I feel very honored and blessed to be given this new position and am thankful for the trust Coach Freeze has placed with me to develop our quarterbacks at Auburn,” Austin said.

Ole Miss receivers coach Derrick Nix has been hired as the Tigers’ new offensive coordinator — and will also coach running backs, a vacancy created after Cadillac Williams stepped down last Thursday.

“I have full trust in Kent and Derrick as coaches and men to help develop our offensive unit to the standard we expect,” Freeze said.

Im thinking Austin was the one working with QB’s last year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/17/2024 at 4:51 PM, Hank2020 said:

Im thinking Austin was the one working with QB’s last year.

I certainly hope that was not the case. I know that Freeze opened the QB competition back up after the Music City embarrassment, but not going after a portal QB is risky. I’ll compare it to Arthur Smith, the ex falcons coach who went with an unproven rookie and a journeyman type backup. Cost him his job. We will see.