At Alabama, some thoughts

9 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

I think Donaldson will see his most playing time of the year if the game remains close.  If Aden isn't hitting shots to keep it close early and is getting blown by, like I expect, he won't be on the court long this game.  If he is getting beat on defense but knocking down a few shots, he will stay in.  If it looks like bama may pull away because he can't defend, he will be on the pine.  I fully expect to see a lot of Denver and Donaldson using their physicality to disrupt the guards in this game.  KD will add pressure for them on the defensive end.  He isn't easy to stay in front of either.  He is definitely a mismatch for Sears if we get that match up after a switch on defense (not necessarily his quickness but his leaping ability at the rim gives KD the advantage here).  

I think some of your hopes with wearing Sears down is also dependent on making Alabama have to play him a lot. If they can get away with their other guards winning their matchups, I would think they try to rest him more than they have in some of these recent games. 

I say this to say that it’s going to be all on all of our team to keep the pressure on the “others” and force them to have to overuse Mark. 

28 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Griffin on Aden, my b. 

CMo has played 10-15 minutes every SEC game. Sears averages 30.2 currently. If you get the typical Chris performance, you’re cumulatively giving Mark a good amount of rest with having him defend Chris.

As bad as CMO is I would still post him up if they are dumb enough to put Sears on a 6'5 guy.  Surely he could score over Sears.  

I don't expect to see CMO getting 10 to 15 in a close game.  How many minutes did he get against A&M?  

4 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

As bad as CMO is I would still post him up if they are dumb enough to put Sears on a 6'5 guy.  Surely he could score over Sears.  

I don't expect to see CMO getting 10 to 15 in a close game.  How many minutes did he get against A&M?  

I don’t have it pulled up in front of me anymore but I believe that was his lowest in the SEC stretch at 8 minutes. And that’s certainly an easy adjustment Pearl could make, just put CBM in a lot more and change the rotations a little. I’m certainly aware there’s ways to punish Sears and make him work on defense, I just was comparing starting unit against starting unit 

39 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

11 min

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

I won't go on and on and since I'm a little biased I won't even post so I don't argue, but I will say I think we win because of depth

You don't need to post we all remember how hard you pushed for us to recruit Sears. You were 110% right but sadly it is water inder the bridge. That said like you I think we have enough pieces to win at their court.

6 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Obviously, the way that our guards defend Sears will be a major factor, but with Broome being in the top five player of the year rankings on KenPom, and Bama‘s lack of size, for us to win this game we’re gonna need a dominate in the paint.

And that's why he will have 3 fouls in the first half. Calling it now. 

I love coach P but running a super hard practice two days before a rivalry game is not a good idea, because our team is tired now and missing jumpers due to tired legs. They should have done more walk through on what they wanted to do and kept those legs fresh. Hopefully if we fall it motivates the players for the rest of the season. 

Pretty how I figured, except they didn't really need just Griffen to just wiehg and weigh on Aden. It's going to be wonderful to do a comparison, seeing how he handled these situations this year vs how he'll look with a real offseason to match SEC physicality.