‘You’re just a loser,’ Charles Barkley tells Bob Costas

Think Taylor Swift ruined football? ‘You’re just a loser,’ Charles Barkley tells Bob Costas

Updated: Feb. 01, 2024, 12:33 p.m.|Published: Feb. 01, 2024, 12:29 p.m.

~3 minutes

If you have Taylor Swift fatigue heading into the Super Bowl between the Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers, get over yourself.

That’s the message Charles Barkley has for football fans who believe her presence this season has somehow marred the sport we all love adore.

“If you are screaming at Taylor Swift saying she ruined (football), you’re just a loser,” Barkley said in a conversation with Bob Costas. “You’re just a loser or a jackass. You can be ‘A’ or ‘B.’”

Costas said Swift has made the most popular game in America even more popular, and those who have Swift fatigue wouldn’t if she supported Donald Trump. In short, she has brought a different demographic to the game. The casual fan, usually reserved for the Super Bowl because of commercials and musical acts, has become more engaged during the regular season.

“Either they don’t like the Chiefs or they infer that Taylor Swift might be a Trumper, then they are annoyed by Taylor Swift. I can guarantee you, all this news on Fox New would not be happening if she were wearing a MAGA hat. They would love it.”

CNN is reporting “influential MAGA Media personalities have started circulating conspiracy theories about the pop superstar, promoting the deranged notion that she is part of a sprawling psychological operations plot staged by the NFL and Democratic Party to deliver the 2024 presidential election to President Joe Biden.”

Last month, Fox News host Jesse Watters asked if Swift is a “Pentagon asset.” It has been circulated that Swift’s 2020 endorsement of President Joe Biden and the fact that boyfriend Travis Kelce, the Chiefs tight end, participated in an advertising campaign for the pharmaceutical giant Pfizer.

A Monday story published by The New York Times, which noted Biden would like Swift’s endorsement again this year, continues to feed the notion.

Mark Heim is a reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim. He can be heard on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 FM in Mobile or on the free Sound of Mobile App from 6 to 9 a.m. daily.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I am not posting this about politics folks. this is Sir Charles speaking. MODS if this is inappropriate please delete. my intention here is nothing but auburn related stuff.

dang not even high yet and i put this in rivals. apologies folks i am old.............

Edited 17 minutes ago by aubiefifty

I think the entire perception that a large number of people care is being created just for more PR - for her and the NFL with certainty, that's just good marketing and maybe for Biden too. I don't care about the NFL or Swift, and I suspect there are more people who feel that way than not. And for the record, I don't believe the Nielson numbers either. They have to estimate and use averages for too many aspects of it. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

I think the entire perception that a large number of people care is being created just for more PR - for her and the NFL with certainty, that's just good marketing and maybe for Biden too. I don't care about the NFL or Swift, and I suspect there are more people who feel that way than not. And for the record, I don't believe the Nielson numbers either. They have to estimate and use averages for too many aspects of it. 

i respectfully disagree. if anyone does their research they will understand. she does not need pub she is a billionaire.

• Facepalm 1

I'm sick of seeing her on NFL broadcasts and Sports Center.  The overload of coverage has made me turn the TV several times this season.

One day this week, I turned the TV on to watch "Undisputed" and the first words out of Skip's mouth were "Taylor Swift".  I then changed the channel to "First Take", and Stephen A Smith was also talking about Taylor Swift.  Then I changed the channel to watch "Gunsmoke", and I swear I thought Marshall Dillon was gonna say "Taylor Swift", but he said "Kitty" instead.  That was a relief.

Dillon then methodically dispatched all the bad guys in that episode, showing that a lot can be accomplished even without Taylor Swift.

Edited by WillMunny
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i respectfully disagree. if anyone does their research they will understand. she does not need pub she is a billionaire.

How do you think she got to that status Fifty? Marketing and PR, and having a team that's good at it, along with a pretty face and some singing talent, but the marketing and PR teams trump the latter every time. She may have genuine affection for Kelce, but if you can't wrap your head around her PR team gleefully exploiting the relationship, then I don't know what to tell you. 

Anyone who would make a decision on who to vote for in a city mayoral election, much less for POTUS,  based on the endorsement of an uneducated child who can sing and has a great PR team, doesn't deserve vote anyway. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

How do you think she got to that status Fifty? Marketing and PR, and having a team that's good at it, along with a pretty face and some singing talent, but the marketing and PR teams trump the latter every time. She may have genuine affection for Kelce, but if you can't wrap your head around her PR team gleefully exploiting the relationship, then I don't know what to tell you. 

Anyone who would make a decision on who to vote for in a city mayoral election, much less for POTUS,  based on the endorsement of an uneducated child who can sing and has a great PR team, doesn't deserve vote anyway. 

Apparently a lot of people made their decision on the 2016 presidential election from Facebook, swinging the victory to Trump. At least that was the theory posted here at the time. When I said if you get your info from FB then you don’t deserve to vote I got lambasted. 

Step away just a moment from your love/hate relationships. Look at what is happening with Kelce and Swift. Try to ( without prejudice) make it fit. Truth is you can’t! There is no normal option for what is happening——

Unless

It is dealing with Implications outside of football, outside of EVEN U S Politics.

10 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Apparently a lot of people made their decision on the 2016 presidential election from Facebook, swinging the victory to Trump. At least that was the theory posted here at the time. When I said if you get your info from FB then you don’t deserve to vote I got lambasted. 

You got lambasted because the theory was wrong. 

If all of you on here read only one book for the rest of your lives, especially you Fitty, make it Robert Cialdini's "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion". Everything from Nick Saban to Presidential politics will suddenly make more sense to you. 

Edited by TigerHorn

If you think Taylor Swift needs marketing you are outside of your mind. She could go to a grocery store and get that. She could have asked to perform at the Superbowl they would oblige.

Most artist needs marketing like the air they breathe but she is beyond that. She doesn't need anything from anybody. She could drop music without any promo whatsoever and it would sell number 1. The NFL is doing this much more than she is

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

she gives to the food banks in every city she plays in. and this is big money. any one that bangs her without knowing her is an ass in my book. i hate people are trying to drag her in politics.

• Like 2

I completely disagree with the assertion that people who are tired of Taylor Swift would feel differently if she supported Donald Trump. What a stupid timeline we are living in where every random thing is made political. If they showed Kid Rock hugging everyone anytime Kelce made an 8yd reception it would be just as annoying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful blonde Taylor Swift and her NFL-starter boyfriend make all the headlines, get shown at every NFL broadcast, on every sports show, in pop culture, and beyond, to the point of overload.

Meanwhile, Olympic champion and beautiful Simone Biles and her NFL-starter husband rarely get shown or talked about, at least not in comparison to Swift and Kelce.  I wonder why.

Not that I want to see Biles and her husband at all either.  I just notice the difference.

This country's value system leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

she gives to the food banks in every city she plays in. and this is big money. any one that bangs her without knowing her is an ass in my book. i hate people are trying to drag her in politics.

I did a double-take on the verb in the third sentence.  That woke me up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, WillMunny said:

I thought the same thing. Fifty has a way with words. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

if i offended you my apologies. i am not sure what you aew saying.

Just now, gr82be said:

I thought the same thing. Fifty has a way with words. 

i am quit the lunatic my friend. no harm ever intended............well permanently  lol

Just now, aubiefifty said:

if i offended you my apologies. i am not sure what you aew saying.

No, not offended at all.  I love you man.

• Love 1

Just now, WillMunny said:

No, not offended at all.  I love you man.

i am here for fun and i get a kick out of pretending i am a bad azz when i am nnot even close...........

• Like 1

i have been listening to taylors greatest hits and she is really good. i had never paid attention before because i am a rocker.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i am quit the lunatic my friend. no harm ever intended............well permanently  lol

It was funny to just about anyone not named Swift or Kelce. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

dude! i finally got it. i am buzzed right now lol. that was great!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i have been listening to taylors greatest hits and she is really good. i had never paid attention before because i am a rocker.

I'm a rocker too, and generally avoid country music.

Lynyrd Skynyrd and Van Halen (with either or David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar) rule the musical universe.  Steely Dan (technically "Jazz Rock") headlines the 2nd tier.

3 hours ago, WillMunny said:

I'm a rocker too, and generally avoid country music.

Lynyrd Skynyrd and Van Halen (with either or David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar) rule the musical universe.  Steely Dan (technically "Jazz Rock") headlines the 2nd tier.

i played in a classic rock band.we went to thomasville ga and met danny jo brown who was the original lead singer and got to sing on stage with him. he was so cool. i have his autograph.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

If you think Taylor Swift needs marketing you are outside of your mind. She could go to a grocery store and get that. She could have asked to perform at the Superbowl they would oblige.

Most artist needs marketing like the air they breathe but she is beyond that. She doesn't need anything from anybody. She could drop music without any promo whatsoever and it would sell number 1. The NFL is doing this much more than she is

Someone alert the legitimate media: we actually agree on this..😆

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

No disrespect to you or Swift, but if you ever hear of me listening to her music, I give you Power of Attorney to negotiate a comfortable straitjacket for my incarceration…🤪

• Haha 1