NCAA Round 1 - AU vs Yale

1 minute ago, GTNupe11 said:

Oh I completely agree with you on strategies had to change. A lot of things were just out of sync after he got ejected. Tre played more minutes than he ever has. Aden was...Aden. Broome was getting mugged and no fouls. KD actually controlled himself but was still...KD. Having Chad out threw off a lot of things, especially our rotation. But, I figured even with our talent, we should beat Yale. Yeah dude played a great game and he may never score like that again, but I think coaching didn't help us either. We played to Yale's strength, which was slow basketball. We had probably 6 fast break points. We never got out on the break. Just weird to change up who you've been all season even with Chad getting ejected. 

We definitely should win anyway but we are deep as a team but as far as perimeter talent we are very thin. I mentioned that and the pace you just talked about. I knew EXACTLY how we would lose if we were to lose. It's sad because we were literally one, two players away 

• Like 1

I honestly thought this year was at least sweet 16 with a real shot to get past Uconn. Man, this one hurts. I'm so depressed. I have learned my lesson with Auburn football to never get excited. It just leaves you heartbroken, which is what I am right now. Just stunned.  Hats off to Yale.

• Like 2

Just now, arktiger1975 said:

If you are a better athlete than the guy you are guarding, it is inexcusable to give up a bunch of 3's to him. All you have to do is get in their face, don't help off of them. 

No

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

If you are a better athlete than the guy you are guarding, it is inexcusable to give up a bunch of 3's to him. All you have to do is get in their face, don't help off of them. 

It'd be nice if it worked that way, but, it really doesn't.... Sometimes even the most unathletic dudes get hot. That shot over Cardwell said it all. It was just his night.

Edited by GTNupe11
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Aden Holloway looked dejected sitting on the bench in the 2nd half.  I saw only the final 11 minutes of the game, but remember seeing him in the game only once.  He committed a quick reaching foul then was banished to the bench for the remainder, it seemed. Wonder if he'll be back next year.

Heck if he had just hit his layups Auburn probably wins. I am just confused. I haven’t seen his high school film. He can’t only be boom or bust from distance. The last few games he has missed easy bunnies at the rim 

Just now, GTNupe11 said:

It'd be nice if it worked that way, but, it really doesn't.... Sometimes even the most unathlehtitc dudes get hot. That shot over Cardwell said it all. It was just his night.

But that was only one shot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thewhiz7 said:

I honestly thought this year was at least sweet 16 with a real shot to get past Uconn. Man, this one hurts. I'm so depressed. I have learned my lesson with Auburn football to never get excited. It just leaves you heartbroken, which is what I am right now. Just stunned.  Hats off to Yale.

I'm mostly upset because I genuinely thought I'd we can just make it past the first weekend, we would win the whole thing.  The depth would start to make a difference.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GTNupe11 said:

It'd be nice if it worked that way, but, it really doesn't.... Sometimes even the most unathlehtitc dudes get hot. That shot over Cardwell said it all. It was just his night.

I just stood and clapped when he did that.  That's was a baller shot

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

Well, they are both about equally interesting to me now, I'll put it that way.

You are officially ignored. It's the Master's for goodness sake! My WIFE watches it for the freaking beauty, and I'm an awful golfer! Begone, Heathen! 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Haha 1

This was almost as bad as the fail against New Mexico State in football. Really sad.

i do believe though that CBM getting tossed ruined team mindset and attitude…surely limited CBP coaching options.

Edited by au701948

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We definitely should win anyway but we are deep as a team but as far as perimeter talent we are very thin. I mentioned that and the pace you just talked about. I knew EXACTLY how we would lose if we were to lose. It's sad because we were literally one, two players away 

IMO , Auburn would still have to pay for not having the greatest guard play. If it didnt  show against SDST most definitely against UCONN if they played

11 minutes ago, au701948 said:

I wonder if CBM will be back too?

Agree, hope so but he may want a clean start .

Just now, TigerOne said:

Agree, hope so but he may want a clean start .

He’s had a bunch in his college career already apparently. 

2 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

Look. Cole and I have not been best friends on here, but when he just talks ball it's obvious he has played. For you to say this tells me that you didn't. That left handed white guy ( I'm not gonna attempt to spell it ) was unconscious. One of his "misses" was a block, by Cardwell. I went to the store and Andy on the AU network described an 18 footer he took with a guy in his face and said " he missed it! " . He was absolutely amazed that the ball didn't go in the hole , you could tell by his voice. There is no preparation for this. Especially if it his career game. Which. It. Was. 

10 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I'm mostly upset because I genuinely thought I'd we can just make it past the first weekend, we would win the whole thing.  The depth would start to make a difference.  

You might have been right. We'll never know. 

I am still here smh. I know it happened but still can’t believe it. Was that a bad dream 

Just dawned on me: knocked out of Baseball regional by Penn and Basketball by Yale. Can’t beat the Ivys. Lol. 

• Haha 1

How bad was Broome banged on the last play? He was still on floor after game was over and I have no local radio since I am out of town.

Edited by au701948

Back when Bruce was hired, I read that he preferred big, athletic guards for his style of play.

Maybe the portal will soon produce one.

15 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

Hey Flannigan…Are you sad that you didn’t stay around and make the tournament one more time? 

2 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Look. Cole and I have not been best friends on here, but when he just talks ball it's obvious he has played. For you to say this tells me that you didn't. That left handed white guy ( I'm not gonna attempt to spell it ) was unconscious. One of his "misses" was a block, by Cardwell. I went to the store and Andy on the AU network described an 18 footer he took with a guy in his face and said " he missed it! " . He was absolutely amazed that the ball didn't go in the hole , you could tell by his voice. There is no preparation for this. Especially if it his career game. Which. It. Was. 

I do coach, and I we have had several games where the other team is not as athletic, but seemingly hit everything they are throwing up early. I tell me guys, "no, that isn't good enough, you are STILL giving him too much room". I tell them, "I could beat you if you give me that much room, make him be an athlete ". Really get on their a-- about it. And once we do that, we always take over the game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One thing they absolutely cannot do, is not get an experienced lead ball handler. Tre MIGHT take that leap, but Aden is not a point, Pettiford is a combo guard himself, and KD… 

Coming into next season without that type player would be an admittance of failure. Even more than it was when we ran it back with Wen, Zep, KD and only added Tre. 

• Like 1

Just now, au701948 said:

How bad was Broome banged on the last play? He was still on floor after game was over and had no local radio since I was out of town.

Hopefully not too bad, but with our guys I never really know how hurt they are. 

Just now, PigskinPat said:

Hopefully not too bad, but with our guys I never really know how hurt they are. 

Thanks for answering.