off season storylines for men’s basketball

al.com

The biggest offseason storylines to watch for Auburn men’s basketball

Published: Mar. 25, 2024, 6:36 a.m.

5–7 minutes

The offseason is here — probably far earlier than Bruce Pearl and Auburn ever anticipated.

Auburn was stunningly bounced from the NCAA Tournament in the first round on Friday in Spokane, Washington, losing to No. 13 seed Yale 78-76.

It puts an Auburn roster that was so reliant on its depth into a little bit of flux looking forward to the summer. There’s change coming. The winningest player in Auburn history is gone. Several others have decisions to make.

This team won’t look the same next year. So let’s take a look at the biggest storylines that will shape the 2024-25 Auburn team.

What might next year’s depth look like?

The transfer portal could change things, of course, as no Auburn players entering the portal in the immediate aftermath of the season. That can, and most likely will, change.

Jaylin Williams and Lior Berman are the only scholarship players who definitely will not be back. Both are out of eligibility.

The 2024 recruiting class with bring in Tahaad Pettiford — a five-star recruit rated as the No. 1 point guard in America — a highly athletic guard with deep shooting range.

It will also add four-star small forward Jahki Howard, ranked as the 70th overall player in the 2024 cycle.

So based on Auburn’s current roster, here’s a possible look at a starting lineup for next season.

PG: Aden Holloway

SG: Denver Jones

SF: Chad Baker-Mazara

PF: Chaney Johnson

😄 ? (More on that below)

What could change from this? The transfer portal has a good shot to impact Auburn’s guard depth.

We’re penciling in Holloway as the starter just because he ended this season as the starter and started most of this season. But with the impending addition of Pettiford and Denver Jones as the clear starting shooting guard, it seems unlikely that Auburn will retain Holloway, Tre Donaldson and K.D. Johnson.

For the sake of this exercise, let’s assume everyone stays. Auburn will have many options at guard and especially point guard, but it may not be obvious that Holloway starts given his inconsistencies this season. Auburn has also used Jones at point guard at times this season and maybe continue using that lineup. That versatility could impact how Auburn uses the other guards around Jones.

The small forward spot will likely stick with Chad Baker-Mazara who ended this season as the starter. Behind him is Howard and Chris Moore. Moore went through Senior Day festivities this year. He does have the chance to come back for one more year. He also has the opportunity to explore the transfer portal should he choose if he wants more playing time.

Chaney Johnson will take over Williams’ spot at power forward as he did after Williams injured his knee against Kentucky this season.

The depth behind Johnson at that spot appears very thin, however. Auburn would either have to use more small-ball lineups. It may also look to the transfer portal to add another forward.

Purely based on eligibility, the only scholarship interior players on Auburn’s roster next season are Johnson, Dylan Cardwell and Johni Broome. It’s quite likely at least one if not both Broome and Cardwell aren’t back next year.

And then there’s the center spot.

So what’s the situation at center?

This is Auburn’s biggest lineup question mark.

More likely than not, Johni Broome isn’t coming back. Certainly, that’s not a done deal, but Broome went through some NBA Draft steps last summer to get a read on his stock. He came back to Auburn when it wasn’t high enough and had a season where he showed big improvements as a passer and a shooter.

Broome’s draft stock now seems uncertain, with some projections viewing him as a potential first round pick and others not having him on their prospect rankings at all.

If Broome does come back to Auburn, then this is easy. Auburn’s got its best player back.

If Broome leaves, things get more interesting.

Dylan Cardwell would be the easily penciled-in option to start in that scenario. But after Auburn’s loss to Yale, he said he hasn’t yet decided if we will return to Auburn.

Few players are as vocally supportive of Auburn as Cardwell. It’s hard to imagine him playing in another uniform. But he has one more year of eligibility and it’s not a guarantee he’ll use it on the Plains.

If the duo returns — which is of course a possibility — then it’s simple. Run it back exactly as this season went.

If one or both leave, then Auburn is likely looking to the transfer portal.

The Tigers have already reached out to Rutgers transfer center Cliff Omoruyi.

Omoruyi used one of his five official visits for a trip to Auburn as a high school recruit. He’s from New Jersey and could still remain close to home, having quickly set up a visit to St. John’s after entering the portal.

It’s still quite early of course, and Auburn will likely have several other options in the portal. Center may not be the only position Auburn is looking to the portal, anyway.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

al.com

NBA suspends former Auburn standout for fighting

Updated: Mar. 24, 2024, 6:58 p.m.|Published: Mar. 24, 2024, 6:47 p.m.

2–3 minutes

Utah Jazz guard Kris Dunn and Houston Rockets forward Jabari Smith Jr. are separated by officials during an NBA game on March 23, 2024, at the Toyota Center in Houston.(Photo by Tim Warner/Getty Images)

By

Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

Utah Jazz guard Kris Dunn has been suspended for two games and Houston Rockets forward Jabari Smith Jr. has been suspended for one game by the NBA after their altercation on Saturday.

The NBA announced the penalties on Sunday.

New Orleans Pelicans’ campaign slogan: Not on Herb

Brandon Miller repeats as winner of NBA award

Former Auburn standout returns to the NBA after almost 2 years

The NBA suspended Dunn for throwing a punch at Smith, said Joe Dumars, the league’s head of basketball operations, while Smith was suspended for fighting with Dunn.

The incident occurred with 11:55 remaining in the second quarter of the Rockets’ 147-119 victory over the Jazz at the Toyota Center in Houston. Both players received technical fouls and were ejected from the game.

Smith will miss the Rockets’ game against the Portland Trail Blazers on Monday night. By being suspended without pay for the game, Smith will be out $53,601.

In his second NBA season, Smith has averaged 13.3 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 65 games with Houston.

Smith joined the Rockets from Auburn as the third pick in the 2022 NBA Draft.

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Bruce is starting to get in uncharted waters at Auburn.  Everyone is grateful for what Bruce has done to make Auburn relevant but things have stalled out.  Meanwhile our biggest rival is about to play in its 3rd sweet sixteen in the last 5 years.  I don’t believe Auburn has made it that far in that time span?  I’ll probably get roasted for saying this but Bruce is getting a bit Gusish.   Win a couple big games, be in contention, but flame out in the postseason.  2023/24 Auburn basketball = 2017 Auburn football.

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Bruce is starting to get in uncharted waters at Auburn.  Everyone is grateful for what Bruce has done to make Auburn relevant but things have stalled out.  Meanwhile our biggest rival is about to play in its 3rd sweet sixteen in the last 5 years.  I don’t believe Auburn has made it that far in that time span?  I’ll probably get roasted for saying this but Bruce is getting a bit Gusish.   Win a couple big games, be in contention, but flame out in the postseason.  2023/24 Auburn basketball = 2017 Auburn football.

You will but you shouldn’t. There are several instances of coaches getting programs out of the dark but the next guy getting them over the hump. Of course, the opposite can happen just as well. 

Just now, Win4AU said:

I'm as critical of Bruce as anyone on here, but Gus wasn't even close to winning the SEC in his last few years. Bruce just finished one game back of the regular season title and won the SEC tournement. I'm as upset as anyone about our recent NCAA tourney struggles, and Bruce makes plenty of mistakes I hope he rectifies, but he's far from Gus.

• Like 4

The biggest thing in my opinion will be upgrading the guard play. Jay G Tate stated on the Drain that he believes Tre Donaldson will leave but there will be turnover regardless. There was talk during the year that Auburn plays good defense. I don't think they do. Especially the guard positions. Any team that Auburn played with good guards seems to have that guard have great games. Year end and out, opposing guards have no problem scoring. At some point Bruce Pearl has to reevaluate his system and see the flaws. The caveat has always been that the Auburn guards were good scorers but smaller. They haven't been good scorers in a couple of years now.

• Like 1

While the fixation on the Yale mess is CBM, the other part was that it simply wasn’t in the Jungle.  My 2 cents. Our team chemistry seems HEAVILY reliant on its energy and we struggled all season away or neutral courts.  Playing away is obviously always harder, but many of our players are highly passion-based and almost seem addicted to a supportive, roaring crowd. You could see Pearl kinda panic about Spokane even though all the other teams were also far from home (.ie Yale, UConn). I have no solution to this, but uniqueness of the jungle almost seems to have created an adoration issue that’s in our psyche.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

While the fixation on the Yale mess is CBM, the other part was that it simply wasn’t in the Jungle.  My 2 cents. Our team chemistry seems HEAVILY reliant on its energy and we struggled all season away or neutral courts.  Playing away is obviously always harder, but many of our players are highly passion-based and almost seem addicted to a supportive, roaring crowd. You could see Pearl kinda panic about Spokane even though all the other teams were also far from home (.ie Yale, UConn). I have no solution to this, but uniqueness of the jungle almost seems to have created an adoration issue that’s in our psyche.

I don’t think them being away from the jungle was that big of an issue. On a neutral court they had only lost to Baylor . They struggled in true road games but that was across the board in college basketball. It was just weird for a hot team to do a 180 and all the flaws were exposed in one game. Maybe it was just a fluke or the program is jinx. Auburn should have won regardless of the refs and missing CBM

Edited by e808
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

The biggest thing in my opinion will be upgrading the guard play. Jay G Tate stated on the Drain that he believes Tre Donaldson will leave but there will be turnover regardless. There was talk during the year that Auburn plays good defense. I don't think they do. Especially the guard positions. Any team that Auburn played with good guards seems to have that guard have great games. Year end and out, opposing guards have no problem scoring. At some point Bruce Pearl has to reevaluate his system and see the flaws. The caveat has always been that the Auburn guards were good scorers but smaller. They haven't been good scorers in a couple of years now.

THIS! 

Love Bruce and appreciate what he's done at AU. It's ok to be critical of a coach at times. Doesn't mean we're looking to get rid of him. I just want us to be able to maximize years where we have a team that can make a deep run in the tourney...like this years team. It wasn't a lot to ask of this team making the Sweet 16. 

I feel like the team with Walker and Jabari should've gone further if we had better guards. I understand that the tourney is unpredictable but it's shown time and time again that when you rebound, play great defense and have guards that can be difference-makers you can have a deep run. I think Bruce and AU is at the point where we should be expecting to make it to the Sweet 16 more years than not. 

Bruce did a great job in getting Denver, CBM and Chaney but if we paired them with a top PG like Mark Sears or Caleb Love who transferred from a major program to another major program..we would've been a top 5 team for sure.

When it comes to PG and G positions I want us to aim for top veteran talent if we're hitting the portal that can not only manage the team but get you some buckets when needed and have a high IQ when it comes to in-game situations.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

The ball handling has been suspect. KD is a human turnover. Holloway just seems to small and non-physical to be in that position and Donaldson is very inconsistent. 

What I saw against Yale was a team not used to playing a tight game ahead. We just completely came apart from a fundamentals standpoint. We had little awareness, made sloppy passes, missed open looks, couldn't make free-throws, it's clearly a team that needs a leader and doesn't have it yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Win4AU said:

We won the SEC Tournament... we will hang a banner....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

THIS! 

Love Bruce and appreciate what he's done at AU. It's ok to be critical of a coach at times. Doesn't mean we're looking to get rid of him. I just want us to be able to maximize years where we have a team that can make a deep run in the tourney...like this years team. It wasn't a lot to ask of this team making the Sweet 16. 

I feel like the team with Walker and Jabari should've gone further if we had better guards. I understand that the tourney is unpredictable but it's shown time and time again that when you rebound, play great defense and have guards that can be difference-makers you can have a deep run. I think Bruce and AU is at the point where we should be expecting to make it to the Sweet 16 more years than not. 

Bruce did a great job in getting Denver, CBM and Chaney but if we paired them with a top PG like Mark Sears or Caleb Love who transferred from a major program to another major program..we would've been a top 5 team for sure.

When it comes to PG and G positions I want us to aim for top veteran talent if we're hitting the portal that can not only manage the team but get you some buckets when needed and have a high IQ when it comes to in-game situations.  

I just don't think that is on Bruce, but is squarely on the players on the floor.

Just now, AU9377 said:

I just don't think that is on Bruce, but is squarely on the players on the floor.

I can confidently say a few things. Bruce is what's best for Auburn AND our recent struggles the past few years are directly the result of the guards he has gone after and secured. Our recent history might look totally different had he secured Mark Sears and Trey Alexander, both extremely attainable targets that are tearing it up in the sweet 16 for their respective teams right now.

So it is on Bruce. I hope he pulls his head out when it comes to guards soon.

2 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I can confidently say a few things. Bruce is what's best for Auburn AND our recent struggles the past few years are directly the result of the guards he has gone after and secured. Our recent history might look totally different had he secured Mark Sears and Trey Alexander, both extremely attainable targets that are tearing it up in the sweet 16 for their respective teams right now.

So it is on Bruce. I hope he pulls his head out when it comes to guards soon.

As I have said elsewhere, make a few free throws and this conversation isn't happening.

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

As I have said elsewhere, make a few free throws and this conversation isn't happening.

A few free throws wasn't going to change the prevailing opinion on our sub par PG play, which is pretty universally agreed upon, going on near 5 years now. Regardless if we won or not. 

4 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Bruce is responsible for those players and supposed to put them in the best position to win the game. One example is KD is a volatile player in which more things go wrong than good. Most of the time he is playing out of control. That’s on the coach. Example #2 CBP doesn’t use his timeouts very well IMO. Things go south and more often than not try to let them play through it. They aren’t pros u have to save them from themselves. As a coach u have to adapt when things break down. Broome was clearly the best player that day. Do u roll the dice and keep Broome in or keep with ur usual pattern. Broome goes out and momentum is lost. Some might not care for Buzz but he was a helluva in game coach yesterday. Just didn’t have the difference makers like Houston .

The recent early flameouts in the NCAA (especially this year's supposed "Final Four sleeper" team), coupled with Bama's 3rd Sweet 16 in five years (and they aren't done yet) should really motivate Bruce.  If he hasn't had a cookout for players at his house lately, then it might be time...

But seriously, I'd guess he's on the warpath to get guards that can shoot.  It's amazing how basketball success can be easily derailed by poor shooting.

Hopefully the new PG will be able to shoot the 3 and get to the basket.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WillMunny said:

The recent early flameouts in the NCAA (especially this year's supposed "Final Four sleeper" team), coupled with Bama's 3rd Sweet 16 in five years (and they aren't done yet) should really motivate Bruce.  If he hasn't had a cookout for players at his house lately, then it might be time...

But seriously, I'd guess he's on the warpath to get guards that can shoot.  It's amazing how basketball success can be easily derailed by poor shooting.

Hopefully the new PG will be able to shoot the 3 and get to the basket.

I am still not sure which game was worse Yale or Ky in which everything came apart. 

22 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I'm not speaking on just recently but the past and going forward. We need better players at guard. Yes, it does come down to players making plays. But I didn't see us beating UCONN, UNC or Houston if we got past UCONN. We need to up our talent and with the success we've had we can do that. It's not like we can't get the talent needed. We can and we should is my point. That is up to Bruce. 

7 hours ago, Win4AU said:

How  much have you enjoyed football since 2017?  That year looks pretty damn good from where I sit.

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I'm not speaking on just recently but the past and going forward. We need better players at guard. Yes, it does come down to players making plays. But I didn't see us beating UCONN, UNC or Houston if we got past UCONN. We need to up our talent and with the success we've had we can do that. It's not like we can't get the talent needed. We can and we should is my point. That is up to Bruce. 

I do worry about having the funds to get some of those players thru NIL.  We have an NIL budget that most schools would envy, but the question is if it is enough to compete with the blue bloods?

6 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I do worry about having the funds to get some of those players thru NIL.  We have an NIL budget that most schools would envy, but the question is if it is enough to compete with the blue bloods?

I believe getting away from underarmour would help. Underarmour is pretty reputable in football but in basketball terrible IMO

• WarTiger changed the title to off season storylines for men’s basketball
3 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I feel like the team with Walker and Jabari should've gone further if we had better guards. I understand that the tourney is unpredictable but it's shown time and time again that when you rebound, play great defense and have guards that can be difference-makers you can have a deep run

I am in full belief that a team that wins in rebounding, plays tough defense, limits turnovers, and takes good shots wins more often than not. Guards are directly responsible for 2(limits TO/takes good shots) of those things. Bruce still has my full support and I find it silly that anyone would think differently. That being said, he must get better guard play out of his players. It has been the limiting factor. 

The staff should get bigger guards that can cover better. You cannot tell me that they would be any worse on the offensive side of the floor. If any of the coaches(glances at Steven Pearl) thinks that criticism is ridiculous, they need to put of their big girl panties.

71l9gx88kUL._AC_SL1350_.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

I believe getting away from underarmour would help. Underarmour is pretty reputable in football but in basketball terrible IMO

I am not so sure. It is a philosophical choice made by Bruce. He likes having smaller guards. The thought has been that they were smaller but were better 3 point shooters. Well shoe brand doesn't cause that. Auburn's guards are almost always no taller than 6'1". It just so happens recently that they aren't consistent 3 point shooters either. The best 3 point shooters on the this past team was Jaylin Williams, CBM, and recently Denver Jones. Notice none of them are PGs.

Edited for proof that the guard's defensive play must be better. These opposing players are not all PGs.

In the auburn losses this past year. Top scoring opposing player:

Baylor - J. Walker Guard 28 points, R. Dennis Guard 15 points

App State - M. Tate Guard 18 points, T. Harcum Guard 12 points

Alabama - M. Sears Guard 22 points, R. Griffen Guard 17 points

Miss State - J. Hubbard Guard 17 points

Florida - R. Kugel Guard 22 points, W. Clayton Jr. Guard 20 points, Z. Pullin Guard 19 points

Kentucky - A. Reeves Guard 22 points, A. Thiero Guard 14 points

Tennessee - D Knecht Guard 39 points, Z. Zeigler Guard 17 points

Yale - J. Poulakidas Guard 28 points, A. Mahoney Guard 14 points.

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 1