KD hitting the transfer portal

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

Against sub par competition, he hit threes consistently. He still was getting great looks against the SEC. It wasn’t like he was Steph Curry and he had to be double-teamed at the arc. He got tons of great looks.

Again, a small slump is ok. Last 17 of 18 and it’s time to get under the bus until he’s hitting it consistently at practice. Be like Knecht and work OT in practice at it. 

And I'm sure he will if he stays at AU or wherever he may end up.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I wouldn't be surprised. Things haven't worked out for him at Auburn so far and these days a kid can fly the coop at the drop of a hat.

Just proves the point BP needs to go to the portal and get an experienced PG. Instead of relying on another True Freshman PG next yr.

• Like 2

best wishes to KD … he made some knuckle-headed plays over the past couple of years but also some very good ones … the one thing that I respect over anything else is that you don’t have to worry about getting full out effort from this young man … good luck to him in the future 

• Like 3

On 3/27/2024 at 8:36 AM, NWALA Tiger said:

Is Aiden next to leave,? Rumblings....

Needs to. Chuck is right…the NBA is nothing but a 3-point contest. Guards knocking down 2+ 3-pointers/game consistently are a dime a dozen. Bruce needs to go get em.

3 hours ago, tinman1 said:

Not sure or an absolute. Time will tell.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:25 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I can understand why they think they could find an improvement at the Aden spot; I have no idea why he’d be in a position to transfer before you’re even close to landing another guard. 

PLUS, they’re mainly recruiting shooting guards so far, which tells me they may think Tre and Pettiford are the future at point. Doesn’t that take us back to the beginning of this year in hoping a true freshman can be a viable facilitator on this level (or that Tre will take the leap)?

Sounds about right

7 hours ago, tinman1 said:

I watched Mark Sears prob half dozen times in High School. He wasn't a great shooter then. He could get downhill and finish at the rim but he was no where close to being as good a shooter as he is now. He had to have worked his butt off the last few yrs to develop his shooting stroke. Kudos to him for that... Will Aiden do the same? We'll see...

Pretty much telegraphs that they’ll be in the market for a new PG IMO. I think Bruce is more aware than me that Aden isn’t a natural point guard and Tre may not be a full time starter. That means you have two twos, assuming Denver doesn’t switch to small forward (I don’t think they’d want both Aden and Tahaad to be undersized 2s and have an undersized small forward to boot). 

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Pretty much telegraphs that they’ll be in the market for a new PG IMO. I think Bruce is more aware than me that Aden isn’t a natural point guard and Tre may not be a full time starter. That means you have two twos, assuming Denver doesn’t switch to small forward (I don’t think they’d want both Aden and Tahaad to be undersized 2s and have an undersized small forward to boot). 

Good news. Learning from his mistakes. Pettiford can score the rock in a lot of different ways. He kind of reminds me of Wade Taylor IV from A&M. Now THAT young man can score. 

I think Bruce played Aden at the PG out of necessity after not going to grab another PG in the portal after Wendell left. Maybe he feels like Aden can grow into the PG position (Tre did get better from year 1 to 2), but he still needs to go get another PG...

• Like 1

I wish KD all the success in the world.  Saw he wants to transfer then come back and get his degree from Auburn.  I think that’ll be a great story and shows that he cares for Auburn.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Transferring to George Mason.  Wish him nothing but the best.

• Like 5

I hope he has all the success in the world and those folks better buckle up cuz they are getting a soon to be fan favorite.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I hope he has all the success in the world and those folks better buckle up cuz they are getting a soon to be fan favorite.

Well…

Oooooh!

Aaaaaah!

Ooooh!

Aaaaaaah!

Like a tennis match of emotions.

• Haha 1

al.com

Former Auburn guard KD Johnson announces transfer destination

Updated: Apr. 19, 2024, 2:29 p.m.|Published: Apr. 19, 2024, 2:27 p.m.

3–4 minutes

Auburn Basketball

Former Auburn guard KD Johnson transferring to George Mason for final season of eligibility

HUNTSVILLE, AL - DECEMBER 13 - Auburn's K.D. Johnson (0) during the game between the Auburn Tigers and the UNC Asheville Bulldogs at Von Braun Center in Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2023. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn TigersZach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Former Auburn guard KD Johnson is heading north.

Johnson, who entered the transfer portal March 26, announced his plans to transfer to George Mason in an Instagram post Friday afternoon.

Johnson’s transfer to George Mason comes on the heels of a 2023-24 campaign that saw him average 7.1 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game, all while averaging 17.7 minutes per appearance.

While Johnson consistently served as a catalyst for the Auburn Tigers this past season, Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl was honest with him at the conclusion of the season: If Johnson wanted to see more playing time in his final year of eligibility, it’d probably be best he look elsewhere.

“What I anticipated in my meetings with K.D. was that our roster in the backcourt, particularly with Denver Jones returning, it’s gonna be a bit more of the same for K.D.,” Pearl said. “In other words, coming off the bench, not quite being able to play as freely as he would’ve liked to play. There’s only so many minutes, only so much opportunity.

“We just talked about the fact that: Would the joy of the game be more if perhaps he was someplace else and had more of an opportunity to do more of what KD does. Our discussion was really, really good.”

Now, Johnson is set to join a George Mason team that just finished up a 20-12 season.

Johnson’s decision to join the Patriots brings him back to Virginia, which is where he spent his high school playing career as a graduate of Hargrave Military Academy.

When Johnson arrives to George Mason, he’ll be onboarding with the third basketball program of his college career after starting his college career at Georgia, where he spent the 2020-21 season before transferring to Auburn.

And while the days of watching Johnson play for the Tigers is over, Pearl says Johnson’s story at Auburn isn’t quite finished.

“KD Johnson will return to Auburn to receive his degree when the time comes,” Pearl said.

“He’s really close to his degree, and he perhaps could go someplace else and maybe get that degree in this next year. But he really wants to be a unit short. He wants an Auburn degree. So does his family. When he’s done playing wherever he goes and plays, we’re going to make that happen.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

On 4/19/2024 at 2:35 PM, abw0004 said:

Transferring to George Mason.  Wish him nothing but the best.

This kind of confirms my thoughts that while KD was a great spark plug for energy, he wasn't a very smart or efficient basketball player. There's alot of teams between Auburn and George Mason that would have taken a flier on you, otherwise.

He probably could've gone somewhere bigger but I could see, at this point in his career, him getting the most minutes possible was probably his priority