KD hitting the transfer portal

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I could see him slotting down to 3, esp if they run Jakhi at the 4, but him at the 1 full time would be nutty. That’s something they ran this year because they didn’t have a good defensive option at the 1, not bc he’s legitimately a PG. 

Denver at 3? What is the starting 5. Initially I think this team would be waaaaay too small but I don't know your lineup in this scenario

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

I’ll never forget Jimmy Dyke’s quote on KD:

”He’s like that quarterback, who when he drops back to pass, the band is going to start playing. You just don’t know which band”.

Perfect description of KD. 😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Good defender, but I won't miss the turnovers and kamikaze runs in the paint. 

Good luck to him. He was certainly responsible for some fun moments and always good with the energy. 

^^^^^^^this

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Denver at 3? What is the starting 5. Initially I think this team would be waaaaay too small but I don't know your lineup in this scenario

It prob couldn’t be your every matchup lineup, but something like Pettiford-Aden-Denver-CBM-insert your 5 

Very offensive lineup, probably going to get murdered defensively. But that’s just me using the current roster to figure out a way to still get Denver his minutes and find some good minutes at the 4

We really gotta find that high level power forward though. Chaney may be able to plug into the starting role and we can just find a backup, but I’d like to find someone that’s at least as good as he was towards the end of the season. Make it a competition 

Thanks to KD for all of his contributions to Auburn basketball. But this is the best thing that could happen for both sides. Hopefully we won’t have to play against him in the future. 

I loved his energy and defensive play. I loathed his turnovers and crazoid antics. His productivity has declined while his aggressiveness increased this year.

Best wishes to KD, wherever he ends up. He plays hard and I hope he enjoys success in his final year of eligibility - wherever that may be.

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I could see him slotting down to 3, esp if they run Jakhi at the 4, but him at the 1 full time would be nutty. That’s something they ran this year because they didn’t have a good defensive option at the 1, not bc he’s legitimately a PG. 

Denver at the 3 doesn’t make any sense and he would be a liability on defense from that position. Yeah he can get to the rim sometimes but he’s not an athletic wing that you would typically want at that position.  You would run Jakhi at the 3 behind Chad Baker. Chaney at the 4 and go get a big at the 5. We need a backup 4 and a backup 5 if Cardwell leaves. 

Of course KD is going.

we have two point guards and two shooting guards already.  We and KD will both benefit from him leaving we are a better team than when he initially joined.  He will do better elsewhere and we will do better here.  Auburn is on the precipice I think.  Pearl is about to make us competitive nationally.  He just needs to hit on a couple more pieces 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

Denver at the 3 doesn’t make any sense and he would be a liability on defense from that position. Yeah he can get to the rim sometimes but he’s not an athletic wing that you would typically want at that position.  You would run Jakhi at the 3 behind Chad Baker. Chaney at the 4 and go get a big at the 5. We need a backup 4 and a backup 5 if Cardwell leaves. 

I mention in the next post after that one that this is a lineup that would be ran with the current roster in mind, and the likely glut of guard minutes. Even touched on the defense part.

You can definitely run him at the 3 though, a 6’4 wing is something you see in the college level (Auburn themselves ran it with Samir Doughty in 18-19 often). It’s a lineup that I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried in moments where they needed more offensive punch. 

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It prob couldn’t be your every matchup lineup, but something like Pettiford-Aden-Denver-CBM-insert your 5 

Very offensive lineup, probably going to get murdered defensively. But that’s just me using the current roster to figure out a way to still get Denver his minutes and find some good minutes at the 4

@GTNupe11

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Maybe we can talk about this in another thread, but this line up I think my highschool team could guard. Definitely the team at UNA the year I was offered could. I don't know enough about pettiford game but looking at this I don't think we shoot anywhere near well enough to make the pros outweigh the cons we would get by being absolutely destroyed defensively. 

That's just my opinion

• Like 1

I can understand why they think they could find an improvement at the Aden spot; I have no idea why he’d be in a position to transfer before you’re even close to landing another guard. 

PLUS, they’re mainly recruiting shooting guards so far, which tells me they may think Tre and Pettiford are the future at point. Doesn’t that take us back to the beginning of this year in hoping a true freshman can be a viable facilitator on this level (or that Tre will take the leap)?

On 3/26/2024 at 3:29 PM, tinman1 said:

He was pressing too hard to score.  And he was too hard on himself when he did miss shots.  After a year in the weight room & more development he will be fine because he is a natural shooter. 

So he was pressing too hard 17 out of the last 18 games? I’m glad some of you have confidence his shot will return and more importantly, stay. Because that and dribbling is all he brings to the table. The remainder of his game is a huge liability. With the departures of Broome & Jaylin, he HAS to hit threes consistently next season or he’s a wasted starter. IMO Tre needs to go back to starting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I can understand why they think they could find an improvement at the Aden spot; I have no idea why he’d be in a position to transfer before you’re even close to landing another guard. 

PLUS, they’re mainly recruiting shooting guards so far, which tells me they may think Tre and Pettiford are the future at point. Doesn’t that take us back to the beginning of this year in hoping a true freshman can be a viable facilitator on this level (or that Tre will take the leap)?

Sharife was a pretty good facilitator.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Viper said:

So he was pressing too hard 17 out of the last 18 games? I’m glad some of you have confidence his shot will return and more importantly, stay. Because that and dribbling is all he brings to the table. The remainder of his game is a huge liability. With the departures of Broome & Jaylin, he HAS to hit threes consistently next season or he’s a wasted starter. IMO Tre needs to go back to starting.

He hit 3's consistently early this year.  In fact folks who know basketball far better than me were quite impressed in his "natural shooting stroke".  When SEC play began the defenses put increased pressure on him and he began to feel the pressure to score.  The slump began which affected his mental state and he began to doubt himself.  He is still a kid and had never been in this situation before his entire life.  He may end up being a bust but I'm willing to take a wait ans see approach before I throw him under the bus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tinman1 said:

He hit 3's consistently early this year.  In fact folks who know basketball far better than me were quite impressed in his "natural shooting stroke".  When SEC play began the defenses put increased pressure on him and he began to feel the pressure to score.  The slump began which affected his mental state and he began to doubt himself.  He is still a kid and had never been in this situation before his entire life.  He may end up being a bust but I'm willing to take a wait ans see approach before I throw him under the bus.

Wasn’t he player (freshman)of the week several times?

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Sharife was a pretty good facilitator.

Yes, that was the skill he clearly had that pop off of tape though. They clearly mis-evaluated Zep Jasper and Aden’s ability to be consistent playmakers for other. They whiffed on Tyrell Jones ability to play at all, and I’ll give them a meh grade for J’von (as a point guard). There’s a lot more scoring guys that they’ve just tried to stuff as point guards than not this decade. 
Behind Cooper, their second best facilitator post Harper is either Tre Donaldson or WGJ. I think if Tre was just able to be your bench PG, he’s a home run in that role. As a starter? I dunno so far. Too many dumb passes and a consistent lack of spatial awareness 

3 hours ago, tinman1 said:

The one game where they successfully ran Chad as the point forward (Georgia) and let Aden just be a scorer…probably the best SEC game he had iirc. I def think he would’ve showed that more if we took him off the ball more. I dunno how much more, but he def was mis-cast in his role imo 

20 hours ago, Lotto said:

Of course KD is going.

we have two point guards and two shooting guards already.  We and KD will both benefit from him leaving we are a better team than when he initially joined.  He will do better elsewhere and we will do better here.  Auburn is on the precipice I think.  Pearl is about to make us competitive nationally.  He just needs to hit on a couple more pieces 

Didn’t he initially join the best team in Auburn history?

On 3/27/2024 at 8:36 AM, NWALA Tiger said:

Is Aiden next to leave,? Rumblings....

I wouldn't be surprised. Things haven't worked out for him at Auburn so far and these days a kid can fly the coop at the drop of a hat.

14 hours ago, tinman1 said:

Against sub par competition, he hit threes consistently. He still was getting great looks against the SEC. It wasn’t like he was Steph Curry and he had to be double-teamed at the arc. He got tons of great looks.

Again, a small slump is ok. Last 17 of 18 and it’s time to get under the bus until he’s hitting it consistently at practice. Be like Knecht and work OT in practice at it. 

• Like 1