Tre Donaldson to Hit the Portal

37 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

It’s been reported on here that Aden did not and has not met with the coaching staff after the season ended. I have no idea if it’s true or not but IF so, there’s more to that than allowing him time to mature or not. This is an odd one for sure. 

KD was kicked out, Tre left without informing the coaches and Aden hasn't met with the coaches.  Does that seem odd to anyone?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

YIKES! In case anyone missed several of my previous posts, I do not like this current NIL/transfer setup. That goes for any college sport. NO, I don't know a solution but the current situation is not sustainable.

Binding contracts for the players

i hate this crap.

but if this the road … then you gotta take it all the way.  As I’ve said before, these kids will be the ones screwed at the end of the day at the hands of the “adults” who’ve pushed is crap. 

Just now, JerryAU said:

KD was kicked out, Tre left without informing the coaches and Aden hasn't met with the coaches.  Does that seem odd to anyone?  

Unfortunately I think Bruce will have to overhaul his philosophy.  He won’t be able to go 10 deep.  You can’t negotiate money/playing time with that many players and keep them all happy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, e808 said:

The NCAA should be governing this stuff . Otherwise it seems like a bunch of chaos with no real direction 

The courts ruled against NCAA transfer rules months ago, players are allowed multiple transfers and have immediate eligibility.  Of course, the Supreme Court shot down the NCAA NIL rules years ago. 

Anything the NCAA even attempts to regulate or enforce leads straight to a lawsuit and court rulings have killed the organization's oversight/enforcement processes.  

Edited by JerryAU

9 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Unfortunately I think Bruce will have to overhaul his philosophy.  He won’t be able to go 10 deep.  You can’t negotiate money/playing time with that many players and keep them all happy.

And to think, I bragged non-stop about Auburn's depth and praised Bruce for spreading the wealth of playing time this season.  I loved Auburn having fresh legs ready off the bench to come in and lock up a win.  :dead:

College sports. What a crock it has become. Your favorite player this year may be on your arch rival’s team next year.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

As someone said earlier in this thread, it appeared that Holloway was given a lot of playing time he did not earn this year.  I imagine that Tre noticed as well.

It was very telling that against Yale, Holloway was so ineffective that he was pretty much an afterthought.  He didn't seem to improve much during the season, although he showed glimpses of improvement in January (IIRC).

In my opinion, which means nothing, he is at best a project with no guarantee of return on investment.  A lot of his shortcomings were based upon his size and strength (or lack thereof), and not much can be done about that, relatively speaking.  He isn't going to significantly transform his body no matter how much time he spends in the weight room.

This is why if given the choice between the two, I'd pick Tre to stay and Holloway to leave.  Tre isn't great but at least he hits threes, and I don't think Holloway is going to reach his projected potential, or anywhere near it.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

It doesn't sound like KD was kicked out.  He wants to play somewhere else and then come back to AU to finish his degree.  He wants to say he graduated from AU.

21 minutes ago, keeperoftheplains said:

It doesn't sound like KD was kicked out.  He wants to play somewhere else and then come back to AU to finish his degree.  He wants to say he graduated from AU.

The coaching staff informed KD he was not welcome to return next season.  Multiple on-the-court + off-the-court issues lead to this decision.  The guy knew the team rules, and he chose an alternate path resulting in his dismissal.  

Edited by JerryAU
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, keeperoftheplains said:

He may not have been kicked out yes, but he was definitely told it would be more of the same for him. Coming off the bench and a role player at best. You can show someone the door w/out literally telling them to hit the road imo. From Bruce:

What I anticipated in my meetings with KD was that our roster in the backcourt, particularly with Denver Jones returning, it's going to be a little bit more of the same for KD. "In other words, coming off the bench (and) not quite being able to play as freely as he would've liked to play. There's only so many minutes, only so much opportunity."

6 hours ago, Bigtrain333 said:

Reports that Tre's people were shopping for more nil. We didn't want him to leave but didn't offer more nil. FSU seems to be his next home. AH has avoided meeting with the coaches since the end of the season. His people must be having a hard time finding a landing spot. I don't think BP will not allow him back like KD, but if he comes back he won't be making what he did last year so... Broome's camp has been offered by UNC and Kansas and we are trying to scrounge up enough coins out of the sofa to keep him. 

Please explain this to me like I'm a 5 yr old.  

How does a scholarship player, who's also on the NIL payroll blow off a meeting with their coach for 2 weeks? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Who do you think would be governing those parameters?  The courts have rendered the NCAA obsolete relative to governance of NIL and student-athlete transfers.  

This is one thing that will be solved before long, but the solution will be really kills the game. The big time conferences coming together to form a real governing body separate of the NCAA will be soooooooooooooooo much worse than this NIL premise some people have been terrified about. 

One common theme with both NIL and the lack of any regulation - the NCAA sucks at what they do 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

As someone said earlier in this thread, it appeared that Holloway was given a lot of playing time he did not earn this year.  I imagine that Tre noticed as well.

It was very telling that against Yale, Holloway was so ineffective that he was pretty much an afterthought.  He didn't seem to improve much during the season, although he showed glimpses of improvement in January (IIRC).

In my opinion, which means nothing, he is at best a project with no guarantee of return on investment.  A lot of his shortcomings were based upon his size and strength (or lack thereof), and not much can be done about that, relatively speaking.  He isn't going to significantly transform his body no matter how much time he spends in the weight room.

This is why if given the choice between the two, I'd pick Tre to stay and Holloway to leave.  Tre isn't great but at least he hits threes, and I don't think Holloway is going to reach his projected potential, or anywhere near it.  Just my opinion.

The slippery slope of showing Aden the door is optics of missing on evaluations. There have been more wrongs than right. Ideally hoping Aden makes a decent leap in year two

1 hour ago, e808 said:

The slippery slope of showing Aden the door is optics of missing on evaluations. There have been more wrongs than right. Ideally hoping Aden makes a decent leap in year two

That plus a clear failure in development. Auburn has had a handful of young guards post-Harper, and the best one was maybe Sharife who played like 10 games? Donaldson went from plucky bench player to a starter on a good mid-major (but still probably a bench player on this level). Tyrell Jones was a top 120 recruit that was terrible here. Aden was average at best. Westry was what Westry was (may never play basketball again). Justin Powell was good before the concussion, but he bounced too. 

We've basically retained 0 HS guards and haven't done much more in developing them. Musselman at Arkansas just showed you that you can't depend on transfer dudes forever, and I have to think at some point, the ineptitude with HS guards makes OTHER HS guards sit down and ask what's going on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WillMunny said:

Me too, and that's why I was so surprised to hear Bruce say the team looked tired against Yale.

Go figure... must have been the flight out West....or the 3 games played in the SEC Tournament. 🙃

Just would like a steady point guard that can help AU play a little more consistent.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Please explain this to me like I'm a 5 yr old.  

How does a scholarship player, who's also on the NIL payroll blow off a meeting with their coach for 2 weeks? 

Ok here goes:

”Sweetie, sometimes in life when a player and his coach don’t love each other anymore, they have to separate and move away from each other. But it’s NOT YOUR FAULT.”

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, e808 said:

If he makes the leap it will apparently be for someone not named AU. 

47 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

If he makes the leap it will apparently be for someone not named AU. 

Are you breaking news, señor?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Are you breaking news, señor?

Ha nah. He just has apparently not been with the team since the tourney loss and wasn’t with them at the signing today. I’ve certainly not got any concrete info. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Ha nah. He just has apparently not been with the team since the tourney loss and wasn’t with them at the signing today. I’ve certainly not got any concrete info. 

That's a pretty good indication that he's no longer interested in being at Auburn. Considering his failure to meet expectations here and the current culture of "instant gratification or I'll leave" that prevails in college athletics this can't surprise anyone. He got much more playing time than he earned. I can't imagine that any major school is going to dump the purse into getting him based on his performance here. Maybe a year at some JUCO would help him progress.

• Like 3

On 4/5/2024 at 2:18 PM, e808 said:

We win a hell of a lot of games with these missed evaluations. We used to win 10 games a year. Now we win 25 games a year. We used to finish last in the conference. Now we finish second. Cliff Ellis/Lebo/Tommy Jo/Barbie/Sonny all played a worse out of conference schedule than Bruce.  It's crazy. I love this Golden Age of Auburn basketball! I cannot get enough. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

We win a hell of a lot of games with these missed evaluations. We used to win 10 games a year. Now we win 25 games a year. We used to finish last in the conference. Now we finish second. Cliff Ellis/Lebo/Tommy Jo/Barbie/Sonny all played a worse out of conference schedule than Bruce.  It's crazy. I love this Golden Age of Auburn basketball! I cannot get enough. 

The university also spends way more money on Basketball and actually decided to take it seriously. U think that has a little something to do with it. In addition CBP is getting paid a top 5 salary. People aren’t going to be just content on getting to the tournament and ousted in the first weekend. Let alone lower seeds that have no business beating Auburn.  On top of that ur in state rival is starting to surge in basketball 

Edited by e808
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2