Tre Donaldson to Hit the Portal

I wanted him back as he has grown from year to year. I want to thank him for his time here.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

It looks like we will lose all three-Tre, KD, and Aden. Good grief! I can see one coming back because they will be starting since everyone else is gone. 

Edited by Auburn93

5 hours ago, tinman1 said:

A novel idea!  :drippingsarcasm7pa: Hope our coach reads this.

I mean, if it's true he passed over high profile recruits to keep people like Flannigan around even though he had an attitude problem then... Yeah... He needs to read it 😭

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auburn93 said:

It looks like we will lose all three-Tre, KD, and Aden. Good grief! I can see one coming back because they will be starting since everyone else is gone. 

Huh?

Just now, War to the Eagle said:

Huh?

As far I’m aware, there was some very outdated info pushed by insiders that Aden was going to be the one excommunicated, but that was basically the same week we lost the game. More recent discussion has been centered around one of the two having to go…and one of them did 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

I don’t imagine any of them would have started and still won’t. Portal time.  

With KD leaving, personally, I would have preferred Aden to go away rather than Tre. Fact is, Tre may not have been lights-out this past season, but Holloway was an total disaster, a liability on the floor beginning to end.

I hope Tre decides to stay and CBP pushed Aden out.

Just my opinion.

• Thanks 2

I most definitely agree with a few people here the wrong PG is leaving AH got a lot of minutes on the floor this season that he didn't earn. He lacks confidence and it's obvious when he's on the floor. Playing PG is like playing QB you have to be confident in what you're doing you can't play the PG position and be timid when you're playing with the big boys.

• Like 1

Curious what Barkley's opinion is on this as Tre was his favorite player from this team.  Could be that Tre didn't like playing behind Holloway and he has an argument to make, IMO.  He made great progress this year but has he reached his maximum potential?  Could he get much better than he is now?

Keep in mind that players often don't get the type of portal offers they want and end up changing their minds.  Tre may be testing the waters. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BizEagle said:

Curious what Barkley's opinion is on this as Tre was his favorite player from this team.  Could be that Tre didn't like playing behind Holloway and he has an argument to make, IMO.  He made great progress this year but has he reached his maximum potential?  Could he get much better than he is now?

Keep in mind that players often don't get the type of portal offers they want and end up changing their minds.  Tre may be testing the waters. 

In my mind, I'd like to have him back if we could get a first-rate PG to start.  Tre is a good SEC PG, but he's a backup, at least by my estimation.  Not sure he would accept that.

2 hours ago, BizEagle said:

Tre knows where he is going. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BizEagle said:

I bet he already has/had a landing spot before he bolted, and that's likely why he didn't tell the staff he was leaving. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 12:18 PM, tigeraddikt said:

Going from this year’s production, I certainly would have tried to keep TD and cut AH loose. 

nailed-it.gif

I wish Tre well. To be fair Aden didn’t live up to the hype but Tre did have more time in the program than him. Its appears Aden has the higher ceiling and let’s just hope whatever the scouts saw comes to fruition next season.

I'm sorry to lose Tre, but he'll likely play more somewhere else. As for Aden, I remember early in the season when he was hitting shots, several TV analysts commented that his shot is pure. Yes, he clearly lost that shot during conference play, but if he's a worker & accepts coaching, & if his shot is indeed pure, I see no reason he can't become a premier shooter for us. Several folks observed how much Tre improved from year 1 to year 2. I expect the same for Aden after time in the weight room & time in the gym.

Makes sense. We need to upgrade at guard and Aden was getting more time as the starter. I hate to see him go, but wish Tre well.

Not sure I understand the sentiment that we should show Aden the door as some have suggested. Is he not allowed time to improve? He was a 4 (and maybe 5 in some rankings) recruit. When you land a guy like that and he doesn't dominate as a freshman, we must move on? Is that where we are? Seems crazy to me 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Reports that Tre's people were shopping for more nil. We didn't want him to leave but didn't offer more nil. FSU seems to be his next home. AH has avoided meeting with the coaches since the end of the season. His people must be having a hard time finding a landing spot. I don't think BP will not allow him back like KD, but if he comes back he won't be making what he did last year so... Broome's camp has been offered by UNC and Kansas and we are trying to scrounge up enough coins out of the sofa to keep him. 

4 minutes ago, Bigtrain333 said:

Reports that Tre's people were shopping for more nil. We didn't want him to leave but didn't offer more nil. FSU seems to be his next home. AH has avoided meeting with the coaches since the end of the season. His people must be having a hard time finding a landing spot. I don't think BP will not allow him back like KD, but if he comes back he won't be making what he did last year so... Broome's camp has been offered by UNC and Kansas and we are trying to scrounge up enough coins out of the sofa to keep him. 

YIKES! In case anyone missed several of my previous posts, I do not like this current NIL/transfer setup. That goes for any college sport. NO, I don't know a solution but the current situation is not sustainable.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

YIKES! In case anyone missed several of my previous posts, I do not like this current NIL/transfer setup. That goes for any college sport. NO, I don't know a solution but the current situation is not sustainable.

Agree, this is absolutely absurd.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

My solution is 3 year minimum. If said coach leaves or fired within that period then players can transfer. Graduates can transfer. Other than that it would be case by case

2 hours ago, Bigtrain333 said:

I've seen it mentioned that OTV is short on funds, so Bruce has to raise $$.  

Auburn needs quality personnel NOW.  How can Bruce get out and pass the hat for $$ when he's out recruiting and shopping the portal?  

1 hour ago, e808 said:

My solution is 3 year minimum. If said coach leaves or fired within that period then players can transfer. Graduates can transfer. Other than that it would be case by case

Who do you think would be governing those parameters?  The courts have rendered the NCAA obsolete relative to governance of NIL and student-athlete transfers.  

15 hours ago, TheDob06 said:

Makes sense. We need to upgrade at guard and Aden was getting more time as the starter. I hate to see him go, but wish Tre well.

Not sure I understand the sentiment that we should show Aden the door as some have suggested. Is he not allowed time to improve? He was a 4 (and maybe 5 in some rankings) recruit. When you land a guy like that and he doesn't dominate as a freshman, we must move on? Is that where we are? Seems crazy to me 🤷‍♂️

It’s been reported on here that Aden did not and has not met with the coaching staff after the season ended. I have no idea if it’s true or not but IF so, there’s more to that than allowing him time to mature or not. This is an odd one for sure. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TheDob06 said:

This. We bemoan players who want to bolt if they don’t get enough playing time from the start, but want to kick players to the curb who don’t excel out the gate? College sports and fan bases are for ever changed and not for the better imo.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Who do you think would be governing those parameters?  The courts have rendered the NCAA obsolete relative to governance of NIL and student-athlete transfers.  

The NCAA should be governing this stuff . Otherwise it seems like a bunch of chaos with no real direction 

• Like 1