Calipari to Arkansas

This one was definitely not on my bingo card, will be interesting if there’s anything to it. Calipari to Arkansas and Oats to Kentucky….?

Oats to Kentucky would be good in that Alabama is cooked, but very, very bad for this conference. This dude had arguably the best program in the SEC over the last 5 years with ALABAMA. 

Yep.  Cal knew BBN wanted him gone.  So he went to a freaking rival. 

48 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Oats to Kentucky would be good in that Alabama is cooked, but very, very bad for this conference. This dude had arguably the best program in the SEC over the last 5 years with ALABAMA. 

I actually wouldn't mind his punchable face as much in Kentucky.  Lol.  Just get him out of T Town

• Like 3

It begins lol

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I agree. Of all the SEC coaches since COVID, Oats has seemed to master the balance of portal and blue chip recruiting best. He hasn’t really “missed” on anyone. Has Bama in Top 10 in recruiting this cycle. He’s a prick, but he more than gets the job done: perfect for UK. Guess we are about to see exactly how committed Bama is to being more than just  a football school.

• Like 1

Calipari's buyout at Kentucky was $33 Million. A week ago, he and the AD had a press interview at which they both said he would be back for next season at UK. And now he just walks away.

Arkansas has a strong history in basketball, but the pressure will be less on Calipari there.

• WarTiger changed the title to Calipari to Arkansas?

Doesn't Oats have a hefty buy-out ar Bama? I realize if Kentucky really wants him they'll come up with the money. 

Wow, i didn't see this one coming. Thats a hell of a hire by Arkansas after losing their coach to USCw. They needed a splash type hire and they got it! I don't know what the ceiling is for Cal's teams at this point. I'm not convinced the load up on 1 year players formula is one that can bring a school championships in this day and age, but Cal will field super talented teams, win a lot of games, and keep them in the news constantly and thats not a bad situation for arky IMO.

Now what dominoes will fall as Kentucky goes looking for a coach? Oats is a possibility i'd have to think.....I would say any school with a coach they really like should be a little worried. That Kentucky bball money goes deep!

Oats would be crazy not to take it if he’s offered. They’ll pay him as much or more than bammer. He’d be the coach of the most beloved sport at the school and one of the top 5 most historic programs in college basketball. He can recruit well at bammer he’d be off the charts at UK. 

Bruce Pearl also being mentioned.

36 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Are the Steven Pearl folks going to want him to stay and take over? 🤣

Edited by GTNupe11

10 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I actually wouldn't mind his punchable face as much in Kentucky.  Lol.  Just get him out of T Town

Well the “rivalry” doesn’t really matter to me as far as basketball goes tbh. Auburn is roughly equal to Alabama with Oats there (as of right now). You can pretty much pencil a 1.5x - 2x increase in performance with him being in Kentucky instead. Auburn isn’t made better off with that being the case. 

30 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

It’s pretty much just a name. As far as who they really want, it’s Hurley and Oats and they’ll fall back on Scott Drew 

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well the “rivalry” doesn’t really matter to me as far as basketball goes tbh. Auburn is roughly equal to Alabama with Oats there (as of right now). You can pretty much pencil a 1.5x - 2x increase in performance with him being in Kentucky instead. Auburn isn’t made better off with that being the case. 

I believe whoever they get at Kentucky will provide the same results as Oats.  So, I would be happy to get him out of tuscaloosa and let bama have to find the replacement.   That will be tougher to replicate at bama than at Kentucky.   IMO

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AURex said:

Calipari's buyout at Kentucky was $33 Million. A week ago, he and the AD had a press interview at which they both said he would be back for next season at UK. And now he just walks away.

Arkansas has a strong history in basketball, but the pressure will be less on Calipari there.

I don’t think he has a buyout if I read it correctly. I think they would owe him that money if fired so I believe Arkansas did them a favor

41 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It’s pretty much just a name. As far as who they really want, it’s Hurley and Oats and they’ll fall back on Scott Drew 

Sure hope so.  Don't want to lose Bruce.

1 hour ago, GTNupe11 said:

Are the Steven Pearl folks going to want him to stay and take over? 🤣

Hope not.

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

Bruce will follow the Saban blueprint and be working for ESPN when his contract runs out in 6 years.

UK wants more than 6 years.

46 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yup this. Billy Donovan a name that Thamel mentioned, but UK would have to wait at least 2 weeks to get him. Not sure they wait that long unless he gives them a verbal. But he’s been out of college 9 years…not sure if he would want back in.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, casatiger said:

I believe whoever they get at Kentucky will provide the same results as Oats.  So, I would be happy to get him out of tuscaloosa and let bama have to find the replacement.   That will be tougher to replicate at bama than at Kentucky.   IMO

Eh I disagree there. I think Oats may be a tier 1 coach in CBB at this point. Towards the back end of that tier, but still around there. I think if they strike out on Hurley (realistic), Nate, and Billy Donovan, then we start looking at Scott Drew. I don’t know if Scott Drew does better than Oats at this point. 

In any case, I would just like to avoid a potentially revived Kentucky, and I think Oats would be of the caliber to do that for them. I do understand your logic that they SHOULD be able to get someone of his ability anyway, and then you’d have two stud programs instead of one, though. 

7 minutes ago, Viper said:

Yup this. Billy Donovan a name that Thamel mentioned, but UK would have to wait at least 2 weeks to get him. Not sure they wait that long unless he gives them a verbal. But he’s been out of college 9 years…not sure if he would want back in.

Yeah that’s a bit of a curveball; I think it has really major boom/bust potential. He probably still has the coaching chops regardless, but he simply has no idea about operating in the NIL era. He may not even want to; I know a lot of college coaches dislike the strain of managing NIL and the around the clock nature of recruiting. But they may just outfit him with some younger mid major HCs that can handle that stuff on their own 

Until Oats took uat to the F4 this year, I didn't think much of him.  He's a damn good coach, he knows how to develop players and this year he did it with a whole new coaching staff & mostly a new roster.  I'd be fine if he just left the SEC altogether.  We don't need our in-state rival challenging the legacy Bruce has built at Auburn.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Oats buyout is $18 mil

Keep in mind they pay nothing on the Calipari contract, with him getting a new job (I may have mentioned that in here already). I don’t think there’s many programs that could eat a 18m buyout, but they’d be one of them