4.20.24 Football Articles

247sports.com

Miami transfer passrusher to visit Auburn next week

Nathan King

~4 minutes

Since Chris Roberts was named Auburn's president, I have wanted to sit down and talk with him about the state of college athletics. He's an engaging person with whom I was familiar because he was in charge of chemical engineering when my son was getting his undergraduate degree. My son holds him in extremely high regard.

Anyway, I thought now would be a good time to set up an interview. Honestly, I did not expect doing that to be an issue. In a sign of the times, I was wrong.

I contacted Janie Boles, assistant to the president, via email and asked if we could set something up. I told her I wanted to talk to President Roberts about his views of the state of college athletics and about his view of how things were going in the John Cohen-led Auburn athletic department. She responded and said she would check. In a later email, she asked me if I could tell her what questions I intended to ask. I told her I could not do that but repeated what I wanted to discuss.

And then came the email that essentially said not now but maybe later. She sent me the following:

"This is a busy time of year for President Roberts due to travel and other commitments, including the upcoming commencement ceremonies. As such, this does not represent a good time for him with regard to his schedule at the moment.

"Moreover, with the fluid state of college athletics nationally and the level of uncertainty in this area, President Roberts is continuing to study this very closely and would be able to provide more defined thoughts on the matter in the coming months. He will let me know his availability in the future and I hope you will understand his request for a short postponement at this time.

"With that being said, President Roberts is incredibly pleased with the state of AU Athletics under the leadership of John Cohen and the progress they continue to make."

So there you have it. There will be no interview with President Roberts, at least not by me, anytime soon. I'm disappointed, but please don't interpret what I write here as my saying that I was somehow mistreated. That's not the case. It's the unfortunate reality of where we are in my business.

Whether it's sports or politics or various other pursuits, important people want to control their messages. And they can't control those messages by having an unfiltered discussions with reporters or columnists.

Before the coming of the Internet and social media, we needed each other. They needed to get their message out, and they needed us to do that. We needed them in order to provide information to readers.

Today, they can simply make videos, post them online or, in the case of university, on their web sites. If they answer questions, those questions often come from someone on their organization's payroll.

I made it clear in my first email that I was not looking for controversy, and I certainly was not. Given the opportunity, I would have asked him about the impact of NIL, on his thoughts about athletes being paid by schools, his thoughts about the widespread belief that nonrevenue sports will be in danger.

I would have asked him about the astronomical salaries being paid to head football coaches at the highest level. I would have asked him his opinion of the importance of athletic success to the university as a whole.

Maybe, eventually, I will have an opportunity to ask those questions and get some answers that don't go through a public relations filter. Or maybe those days are gone for good.

si.com

Elite Transfer Portal Wide Receiver is set to visit Auburn

Zac Blackerby

~2 minutes

The Auburn Tigers are in the market for more wide receivers.

In this story:

The Auburn Tigers have set a visit with one of the top wide receivers in the transfer portal.

After the A-Day game, Hugh Freeze said in his press conference that wide receiver and defensive line were two positions that they needed more help at and we are seeing some action early in the transfer portal window.

Auburn will host Penn State wide receiver KeAndre Lambert-Smith on an official visit Thursday through Saturday according to multiple reports. He has one year left of eligibility. In 2023, he had 53 receptions for 673 yards. He scored four touchdowns through the air.

According to On3's Pete Nakos, he will also visit Texas A&M on Saturday and Sunday once he's done with his visit to The Plains. His visit to Auburn will be his first since entering the transfer portal.

Auburn's wide receiver room already feels different from a season ago. The addition of true freshman Cam Coleman adds an element that the Tigers haven't had on offense in several years. The transfer portal additions of Sam Jackson and Robert Lewis also made Auburn's pass catchers look more explosive than a year ago. Also, returning veteran wideout Camden Brown seems to have taken a step forward as a player based on what we were able to see over the spring and at A-Day.

The Auburn Tigers would love to add another element to the passing game that would force defenders to focus on another aspect of what Auburn can do offensively. The potential addition of a guy like Lambert-Smith could certainly do that.

collegefootballnews.com

2024 Auburn Football Schedule: 3 Things To Know

Pete Fiutak

2–3 minutes

How does the 2024 Auburn football schedule look? Analysis, breakdown, and what SEC teams are missing from the slate.

Sep 23, 2023; College Station, Texas, USA; A detailed view of an Auburn football helmet on the sideline of the game against the Texas A&M Aggies at Kyle Field. 

© Maria Lysaker-USA TODAY Sports

2024 Auburn Football Schedule

Aug 31 Alabama A&M
Sept 7 Cal
Sept 14 New Mexico
Sept 21 Arkansas
Sept 28 Oklahoma
Oct 5 at Georgia
Oct 12 OPEN DATE
Oct 19 at Missouri
Oct 26 at Kentucky
Nov 2 Vanderbilt
Nov 9 OPEN DATE
Nov 16 ULM
Nov 23 Texas A&M
Nov 30 at Alabama

2024 Auburn Football Schedule Breakdown: It's among the most interesting Power 4 schedules in America. Basically, it's a good enough all-around schedule to possibly be a problem if the Tigers don't win their home games, but it's not so bad that they can't come up with a monster year if everything breaks right.

The Tigers start with five straight home games - including SEC games against Arkansas and Oklahoma, and they'll need to load up because of the midsection.

There's a week off to break it up, but playing three straight road games against Georgia, Missouri, and Kentucky will dictate the season. And then Auburn doesn't leave the state of Alabama in November.

Yes, going to Georgia and Alabama is nasty, and Missouri and UK are tough road games, but not playing LSU, Texas, Ole Miss, and Tennessee this year is a nice break.

Auburn Non-Conference Schedule: The Tigers got a push from Cal last year in Berkeley, and now it's in Auburn. It's a better non-conference game - against an ACC team this year - than it'll get credit for.

Yes, you're smart to start the season with Alabama A&M to tune up, New Mexico shouldn't be an issue, and no, there's no need for a week off before playing ULM.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

247sports.com

Miami transfer passrusher to visit Auburn next week

Nathan King

~4 minutes

Since Chris Roberts was named Auburn's president, I have wanted to sit down and talk with him about the state of college athletics. He's an engaging person with whom I was familiar because he was in charge of chemical engineering when my son was getting his undergraduate degree. My son holds him in extremely high regard.

Anyway, I thought now would be a good time to set up an interview. Honestly, I did not expect doing that to be an issue. In a sign of the times, I was wrong.

I contacted Janie Boles, assistant to the president, via email and asked if we could set something up. I told her I wanted to talk to President Roberts about his views of the state of college athletics and about his view of how things were going in the John Cohen-led Auburn athletic department. She responded and said she would check. In a later email, she asked me if I could tell her what questions I intended to ask. I told her I could not do that but repeated what I wanted to discuss.

And then came the email that essentially said not now but maybe later. She sent me the following:

"This is a busy time of year for President Roberts due to travel and other commitments, including the upcoming commencement ceremonies. As such, this does not represent a good time for him with regard to his schedule at the moment.

"Moreover, with the fluid state of college athletics nationally and the level of uncertainty in this area, President Roberts is continuing to study this very closely and would be able to provide more defined thoughts on the matter in the coming months. He will let me know his availability in the future and I hope you will understand his request for a short postponement at this time.

"With that being said, President Roberts is incredibly pleased with the state of AU Athletics under the leadership of John Cohen and the progress they continue to make."

So there you have it. There will be no interview with President Roberts, at least not by me, anytime soon. I'm disappointed, but please don't interpret what I write here as my saying that I was somehow mistreated. That's not the case. It's the unfortunate reality of where we are in my business.

Whether it's sports or politics or various other pursuits, important people want to control their messages. And they can't control those messages by having an unfiltered discussions with reporters or columnists.

Before the coming of the Internet and social media, we needed each other. They needed to get their message out, and they needed us to do that. We needed them in order to provide information to readers.

Today, they can simply make videos, post them online or, in the case of university, on their web sites. If they answer questions, those questions often come from someone on their organization's payroll.

I made it clear in my first email that I was not looking for controversy, and I certainly was not. Given the opportunity, I would have asked him about the impact of NIL, on his thoughts about athletes being paid by schools, his thoughts about the widespread belief that nonrevenue sports will be in danger.

I would have asked him about the astronomical salaries being paid to head football coaches at the highest level. I would have asked him his opinion of the importance of athletic success to the university as a whole.

Maybe, eventually, I will have an opportunity to ask those questions and get some answers that don't go through a public relations filter. Or maybe those days are gone for good.

Since the author made public in the text what specifically wanted to ask President Roberts, my question is why these issues not provided to President Roberts. 
IMHO Roberts request was reasonable.

2 minutes ago, kingfish said:

Since the author made public in the text what specifically wanted to ask President Roberts, my question is why these issues not provided to President Roberts. 

i have no idea king. ii look and post stuff and try to come back and read it when i am done. good morning!

al.com

NCAA approves new college football rules, including helmet communication, 2-minute warning

Updated: Apr. 19, 2024, 1:46 p.m.|Published: Apr. 19, 2024, 1:40 p.m.

3–4 minutes

NCAA LogoNCAA Photos via Getty Images

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on Thursday voted to approve the use of coach-to-player communications through the helmet to one player on the field in all Football Bowl Subdivision teams.

That player will be identified by a green dot on the back midline of the player’s helmet.

The communication from the coach to the player will be turned off with 15 seconds remaining on the play clock or when the ball is snapped, whichever comes first.

Meanwhile, teams have the option of using tablets to view in-game video only in all three divisions of college football. The video can include the broadcast feed and camera angles from the coach’s sideline and coach’s end zone.

Teams can have up to 18 active tablets for use in the coaching booth, sideline and locker room. Tablets can’t be connected to other devices to project larger additional images and cannot include analytics, data or data access capability or other communication access. All team personnel will be allowed to view the tablets during the game.

Other changes include:

Two-minute timeout

The panel approved adding an automatic timeout when two minutes remain in the second and fourth quarters.

This rules change synchronizes all timing rules, such as 10-second runoffs and stopping the clock when a first down is gained in bounds, which coincides with the two-minute timeout.

First-down timing rules

After a year of review, Division III committee members decided to adopt the timing rules where the game clock would continue to run when a first down is gained in bounds. The game clock will stop when a first down is gained during the last two minutes of either half. Division I and II schools used this timing rule last season.

Other rules changes

Allowing conferences the option of using a collaborative replay review system. This will be formally added to the rules book; it had been an experimental rule.

Penalizing horse-collar tackles that occur within the tackle box as a 15-yard personal foul. Previously, a horse-collar tackle within the tackle box was not a foul.

Additionally, head coaches can conduct interviews with broadcast partners after the first and third quarters. This was allowed on an experimental basis last season and will be added as a permanent rule.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

2 hours ago, kingfish said:

I agree. If you aren’t attempting to do gotcha journalism, send them the questions and report the answers. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Fifty, thanks for sharing the articles! 👍🏼

• Love 1