Columbia is a mess

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Non-community members were trespassing.

And since it's a private school they are able to declare that?

Most colleges are beginning to transition into finals. That should impact “free time”  and hopefully cool this down through summer break.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, arein0 said:

And since it's a private school they are able to declare that?

Absolutely. And state universities that have always operated as limited public forums can issue trespass warnings and arrest if they return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2024 at 10:05 AM, TexasTiger said:

You’re really shocking me. You’re unusually reasonable and objective — until you’re not. What “association” are you even referencing that’s in evidence? It seems to me the fact that someone supporting this stop cop city group tweeting a video of the philosophy professor was all it took for you to repeatedly make one assumption after another. I kept thinking you must have more of a basis for these assertions, but apparently not.

The "protest" was full of anti-Jewish hate. I couldn't count the number of signs that said things like "Jews are murderers with money" and "make October 7th every day" etc etc etc.  I simply won't entertain any assertion that equates Israeli society with the kind of anti American irreconcilable value gap that exists between Western society and and the values promoted by Hamas.  Too many young college aged Americans are clearly lacking a basic understanding of the cause they are willing to raise their voices in support of.

That kind of protest has no place on college campuses.  Would we allow the KKK to camp on campus with signs filled with racial slurs and hate?  No.  Half of the messaging looked exactly like that, but was directed toward Jewish students.    We cannot give air to that kind of nonsense, in my opinion.  This isn't about telling others what to think, but instead is about right and wrong.

I am not Jewish, but I do have Jewish people in my extended family and I have even more Jewish people in my close network of friends and professional contacts.  I have never heard them claim that Palestinians or anyone of another religion should be wiped from the planet.  When I see good people attacked for no good reason, I become defensive on their behalf.  That is what I have witnessed recently and it should not be happening in this country.

We often discuss goals and aspirations.  On this topic, I am more about realistic inescapable conclusions.  I am stubbornly loyal to those that I know would show me the same grace.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

The "protest" was full of anti-Jewish hate. I couldn't count the number of signs that said things like "Jews are murderers with money" and "make October 7th every day" etc etc etc.  I simply won't entertain any assertion that equates Israeli society with the kind of anti American irreconcilable value gap that exists between Western society and and the values promoted by Hamas.  Too many young college aged Americans are clearly lacking a basic understanding of the cause they are willing to raise their voices in support of.

That kind of protest has no place on college campuses.  Would we allow the KKK to camp on campus with signs filled with racial slurs and hate?  No.  Half of the messaging looked exactly like that, but was directed toward Jewish students.    We cannot give air to that kind of nonsense, in my opinion.  This isn't about telling others what to think, but instead is about right and wrong.

I am not Jewish, but I do have Jewish people in my extended family and I have even more Jewish people in my close network of friends and professional contacts.  I have never heard them claim that Palestinians or anyone of another religion should be wiped from the planet.  When I see good people attacked for no good reason, I become defensive on their behalf.  That is what I have witnessed recently and it should not be happening in this country.

I have no real sympathy for the protesters. While I strongly take issue with Netanyahu and how Israel has prosecuted this war, I find most of the protesters interviewed to lack understanding and devoid of any nuance or logic. Unfortunately, I find most Republican critics just trying to exploit it.

All that said, my point is how you keep referencing these professors with zero evidence so far.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

I have no real sympathy for the protesters. While I strongly take issue with Netanyahu and how Israel has prosecuted this war, I find most of the protesters interviewed to lack understanding and devoid of any nuance or logic. Unfortunately, I find most Republican critics just trying to exploit it.

All that said, my point is how you keep referencing these professors with zero evidence so far.

I probably jumped the gun with my initial comments.  I was literally on campus when I made those comments and the cut was fresh.  My comments were made based on what those in the building were saying at that time and nothing more.

• Like 1

This is how academia negotiates:

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is how academia negotiates:

It is more complicated than that, but Northwestern is being unbelievably misguided by its decision to "negotiate" with any group that trespasses and thereafter makes demands.

Jewish students should now stage the same type protests in order to get a similar hand out.  After all, this is what those universities have signaled works.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Jewish students should now stage the same type protests in order to get a similar hand out.  After all, this is what those universities have signaled works.

It really isn’t complicated at all, don’t negotiate with terrorists.

You and I both know the above is not going to happen.

On 4/23/2024 at 12:07 AM, auburnatl1 said:

I got my masters at an Ivy and know a few kids that go there. For what I’m told, behind the scenes it’s worse. Divisive tension and confrontations everywhere - from the classrooms to the frats. 

So, Jew Hate is open at Ivy League schools?