Columbia is a mess

9 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

A good cop can do both.

He did, he just prioritized what he did first.

11 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Most universities have sworn officers. When they bring in outside law enforcement, they’re usually renting.

The President of Emory, that knows the sworn officers of the university, knew they couldn’t handle the job at hand and brought in an authority that would have more capability to control the situation.  Do you think the students are going to listen to the university’s sworn officers?

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do you think there has been changes in philosophies in the last 51 years?  Typical to define what happened yeas ago and try to hold them to today’s standards.  Carry on.

First question - yes, dramatically limited philosophies on only national enquirer type topics. Both sides are now simply about mandating their belief system on right and wrong. Both seem to want a huge controlling moral police gov.

Rest of your post - other than typical, i have no idea what you’re saying.

43 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Good cops are trained to de-escalate, not escalate. A campus police officer likely handles this very differently.

As Brother Homer would say it was obvious that the lady professor slammed to the ground was a “clear and present” danger.

Auburn no longer uses our old feared couple of campus police officers. Now handled by Auburn City Police. Know a few of the officers and they say for the most a real cushy duty when they are up. Look at girls and hide over off Lem Morrison to nap. One pulled me over for not wearing a seat belt two years ago. Said he was actually bored and just wanted to talk.

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

other than typical, i have no idea what you’re saying.

Do you believe we should excoriated George Washington for owning slaves and deminish any accomplishments he made to America?

• Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

He did, he just prioritized what he did first.

The President of Emory, that knows the sworn officers of the university, knew they couldn’t handle the job at hand and brought in an authority that would have more capability to control the situation.  Do you think the students are going to listen to the university’s sworn officers?

That’s more ignorance on your part. Universities bring in outside forces when anticipated crowd size exceeds staffing levels required for day to day activities. Most presidents would prefer to exercise greater control over response than is the case when outside LE unfamiliar with the campus are brought in.

17 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

it was obvious that the lady professor slammed to the ground was a “clear and present” danger.

Sarcasm?

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do you believe we should excoriated George Washington for owning slaves and deminish any accomplishments he made to America?

No. But that’s yet another heterosexual white fear topic.  I understand your point but is that it? Race, gender, Israel, immigration?. Ie I’ve seen you post before about teachers conspiring to transition children. Ok even if I partially bought that, no one ever posts that kids just had their lowest 3R scores in generations.  Friggin education system sucks  The South especially is a disaster. But is the thinking - “well we may be raising idiots, but they do have their penis. So we’re fine”….?

Both party’s need to elevate their thinking and their game.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/21/1183445544/u-s-reading-and-math-scores-drop-to-lowest-level-in-decades

9 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

That’s more ignorance on your part. Universities bring in outside forces when anticipated crowd size exceeds staffing levels required for day to day activities. Most presidents would prefer to exercise greater control over response than is the case when outside LE unfamiliar with the campus are brought in.

Then why didn’t they at Emory?

Maybe we should follow the Europeans way of handling Hamas protesters?

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Then why didn’t they at Emory?

What are you not grasping? Is English your first language? If not, I promise to be more sympathetic.

But you don’t respect law enforcement. You diminish campus police officers and don’t give a damn about Capitol police. You just like it when someone you perceive as librul gets it because you’re a sad, sick person.

4 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

No. But that’s yet another heterosexual white fear topic.  I understand your point but is that it? Race, gender, Israel, immigration?. Ie I’ve seen you post before about teachers conspiring to transition children. Ok even if I partially bought that, no one ever posts that kids just had their lowest 3R scores in generations.  Friggin education system sucks  The South especially is a disaster. But is the thinking - “well we may be raising idiots, but they do have their penis. So we’re fine”….?

Both party’s need to elevate their thinking and their game.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/21/1183445544/u-s-reading-and-math-scores-drop-to-lowest-level-in-decades

Agreed about raising their game.  Wasting time on gender studies, no matter how little, is counter productive.  Elementary School is there to educate the young mind on basic education to be able to build upon in later years.  We are passing the problems on and not holding the standards.  Look out West to see the future of education if nothing is done to correct it.

Is there any topic you are passionate about or is it all 1984 for you?

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Agreed about raising their game.  Wasting time on gender studies, no matter how little, is counter productive.  Elementary School is there to educate the young mind on basic education to be able to build upon in later years.  We are passing the problems on and not holding the standards.  Look out West to see the future of education if nothing is done to correct it.

Is there any topic you are passionate about or is it all 1984 for you?

1) states rights - let each state manage its own social culture.  Shrink fed gov and increase state gov. Let states “compete” (which fixes a lot of things) with each other for jobs and quality of life citizens want.

2) balance the budget

3) freedom of expression - if kids want to protest. Protest. Ie Let university establish rules with university police for bullying of ideas (ie intimidating pro Israel or Gaza)

4) make education and access to higher education our highest priority - nothing fixes more long term problems than that. Nothing.

5) defeat authoritarian aggression (more than just Israel) that threatens our national interest 

6) control border and fix immigration 

7) provide safety net to help those you can’t (not won’t) help themselves 

44 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Universities bring in outside forces when anticipated crowd size exceeds staffing levels required for day to day activities.

Is this the reason they brought in the State Police?  It would seem that a hundred or so additional people would not exceed staffing?  I searched and there were no official statements from Emory’s president as to why they brought in the state police. 

There is a difference between crowd size and fear of the crowd getting out of hand.  Could you be a little more specific as to why you think the President brought in the State Police?

31 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

What are you not grasping? Is English your first language? If not, I promise to be more sympathetic.

But you don’t respect law enforcement. You diminish campus police officers and don’t give a damn about Capitol police. You just like it when someone you perceive as librul gets it because you’re a sad, sick person.

Your assumption are all wrong, as usual.

14 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

1) states rights - let each state manage its own social culture.  Shrink fed gov and increase state gov. Let states “compete” (which fixes a lot of things) with each other for jobs and quality of life citizens want.

2) balance the budget

3) freedom of expression - if kids want to protest. Protest. Ie Let university establish rules with university police for bullying of ideas (ie intimidating pro Israel or Gaza)

4) make education and access to higher education our highest priority - nothing fixes more long term problems than that. Nothing.

5) defeat authoritarian aggression (more than just Israel) that threatens our national interest 

6) control border and fix immigration 

7) provide safety net to help those you can’t (not won’t) help themselves 

Nice list.  1, 2, 5 and 6 the current administration is abysmal at doing.

4 and 7 agreed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Sarcasm?

Of course. Pretty laughable ridiculous action from the officer imo. Tulane and Loyola protest yesterday shut down St. Charles for a while. 

https://www.nola.com/news/education/pro-palestinian-protest-in-new-orleans-on-st-charles-ave/article_8df16a32-0403-11ef-894e-0f2702748fc0.html

In sharp contrast to recent campus protests across the country that have led to hundreds of arrests, the police in New Orleans kept their distance and diverted traffic, allowing students to sit in the road while speakers called for the universities to denounce the war in Gaza and divest from Israel.

The protesters entered the street at about 12:30 p.m. chanting “Whose streets? Our streets!” and “Free Palestine!” They left at around 1:30 p.m., allowing traffic to resume.

• Like 1

Look out West to see the future of education if nothing is done to correct it.

Have you checked on the education in the South recently?

8 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Of course. Pretty laughable ridiculous action from the officer imo. Tulane and Loyola protest yesterday shut down St. Charles for a while. 

https://www.nola.com/news/education/pro-palestinian-protest-in-new-orleans-on-st-charles-ave/article_8df16a32-0403-11ef-894e-0f2702748fc0.html

In sharp contrast to recent campus protests across the country that have led to hundreds of arrests, the police in New Orleans kept their distance and diverted traffic, allowing students to sit in the road while speakers called for the universities to denounce the war in Gaza and divest from Israel.

The protesters entered the street at about 12:30 p.m. chanting “Whose streets? Our streets!” and “Free Palestine!” They left at around 1:30 p.m., allowing traffic to resume.

Obviously they had a lot to say.

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Here ya go:

Laura Diamond, assistant vice president of University Communications at Emory University, released the following statement in response to the protest:

"Several dozen protesters trespassed into Emory University’s campus early Thursday morning and set up tents on the Quad. These individuals are not members of our community. They are activists attempting to disrupt our university as our students finish classes and prepare for finals. Emory does not tolerate vandalism or other criminal activity on campus. The Emory Police Department ordered the group to leave and contacted Atlanta Police for assistance."

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/protest-underway-at-emory-university-in-support-of-palestine-stop-cop-city

Several dozen shouldn’t overwhelm the campus police.  Asking for assistance seems to indicate they needed help from outside to control what they expected to be resistance they couldn’t handle.

More from the article:

The article claimed the protesters were a group of students from across "multiple Atlanta universities and community members" who have organized against "Cop City," which is the nickname that has been given to the training center, and the genocide of Palestinians at the "hands of U.S. imperialism."

The protesters say they are "demanding total institutional divestment from Israeli apartheid and Cop City at all Atlanta colleges and universities."

The protesters say Emory University was chosen because it is complicit in genocide and police militarization and it, along with Atlanta University Center Consortium, Georgia State University, and Georgia Tech, have intimidated and repressed students and employees who have spoken out in support of Palestinians. 

The writers of the article also claim that the roots of Cop City can be traced to the Israeli Urban Warfare Training Center, nicknamed "Mini Gaza," which was allegedly funded with $45 million from the U.S. The protesters are claiming that the training centers are live testing grounds for strategies deployed against marginalized peoples, whether in occupied Palestine or predominantly Black, working-class, and undocumented communities in Atlanta.//

You’re such a putz 

Several dozen shouldn’t overwhelm the campus police.  Asking for assistance seems to indicate they needed help from outside to control what they expected to be resistance they couldn’t handle.

You’re such an idiot. They have routine patrols and other duties. Removing several dozen encamped outsiders can take significant police presence. 

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

You’re such an idiot. They have routine patrols and other duties. Removing several dozen encamped outsiders can take significant police presence. 

You're going to die on the hill aren’t you.  They asked for asssistane because they knew it was going to overwhelm them, probably had a lot to do with the *Cop City* protest that happened early.  They knew those guys were idiots from the beginning.  Give it up.

4 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Obviously they had a lot to say.

They who? Saw a video and looked like well fed girls yelling “our street”. I would have asked them best places to eat.

Pretty sure all “protesters” just show for a protest of any type. Not many statues left to topple so kinda boring now.

You're going to die on the hill aren’t you.  They asked for asssistane because they knew it was going to overwhelm them, probably had a lot to do with the *Cop City* protest that happened early.  They knew those guys were idiots from the beginning.  Give it up.

You’re changing your position. You originally said it was because their officers were less competent, not outnumbered.

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You’re changing your position. You originally said it was because their officers were less competent, not outnumbered.

The university’s official statement said the campus police asked for assistance which indicates to me that they felt were not confident with the task at hand.  Whether it was because of being out numbered or who they were dealing with is up to interpretation.

8 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Of course a rent-a-cop would have handled it differently, but the President of Emory requested real cops for this very reason.

This is where you started.

Sorry if its been mentioned before, but did we ever hear what caused the police offers to start arresting protesters at Emory?

1 minute ago, arein0 said:

Sorry if its been mentioned before, but did we ever hear what caused the police offers to start arresting protesters at Emory?

Non-community members were trespassing.