Columbia is a mess

9 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

We don’t see what went on before, but this seems excessive, don’t you think?

No.   It’s called being arrested.   If an officer is arresting you and gives you a command (put your hands behind your back or get on the ground ) and you don’t abide, you are going to the ground.    Now, you will sit back and judge and say , oh that was excessive or that was too violent.    How about just get arrested and then have your day in court and see how the chips fall?   Or bring a lawsuit against the PD and see how that plays out?  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

No.   It’s called being arrested.   If an officer is arresting you and gives you a command (put your hands behind your back or get on the ground ) and you don’t abide, you are going to the ground.    Now, you will sit back and judge and say , oh that was excessive or that was too violent.    How about just get arrested and then have your day in court and see how the chips fall?   Or bring a lawsuit against the PD and see how that plays out?  

People should comply, but what separates us from Russia or communist China is the ability of the public to comment on government action and demand that action be modified if warranted.

• Love 1

It was a case of FAFO.  She thought she was immune from consequences because she is a professor of economics.  Well….

Watch the *full video* for her interactions with the police.  It was timid, but the cops weren’t fooling around.  I hope she learned her lesson.

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Did Ashli Babbit deserve to be shot?

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Did Ashli Babbit deserve to be shot?

Non sequitur. 

19 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It was a case of FAFO.  She thought she was immune from consequences because she is a professor of economics.  Well….

Watch the *full video* for her interactions with the police.  It was timid, but the cops weren’t fooling around.  I hope she learned her lesson.

Thanks. That video nails it. That guy has no business being a cop. He grossly overreacted. Made no real attempt to de-escalate— just the opposite. By overreacting he took himself and ultimately a second officer away from the situation. I’d fire him for incompetence alone, but he’s wholly unsuited to be in a position of authority.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Not asking you. 

Of course not.

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Thanks. That video nails it. That guy has no business being a cop. He grossly overreacted. Made no real attempt to de-escalate— just the opposite. By overreacting he took himself and ultimately a second officer away from the situation. I’d fire him for incompetence alone, but he’s wholly unsuited to be in a position of authority.

Yes, he was fired up because of the situation.  She was wrong and could believe she, an economics professor, did anything wrong.  She was just protecting another protester from being arrested.  She NEVER realized she was in the wrong and continued to resist.

He could have de-escalated, but she wasn’t having any of that.  She did not respect authority by trying to prevent an arrest and showed her ass when it was turned on her.

He doesn’t deserve a medal, but he doesn’t deserve to be fired either.

6 hours ago, AU9377 said:

No... just hearing tons of people question why she was involved at all.  For all I know, she could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.  The worst idea a group protesting could possibly have is to associate themselves with the group attempting to stop the City of Atlanta's new law enforcement training center from being built.  They have a history of violence and get very little benefit of the doubt when it comes to their actions.

Emory's campus is likely the most pro Israel campus in the Southeast.  The undergrad student body is around 30% Jewish and the professional schools, medicine, law etc are similar. 

Surprised you made such a strong and absolute statement with zero evidence.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Yes, he was fired up because of the situation.  She was wrong and could believe she, an economics professor, did anything wrong.  She was just protecting another protester from being arrested.  She NEVER realized she was in the wrong and continued to resist.

He could have de-escalated, but she wasn’t having any of that.  She did not respect authority by trying to prevent an arrest and showed her ass when it was turned on her.

He doesn’t deserve a medal, but he doesn’t deserve to be fired either.

Reaction to this video clearly shows who the authoritarians are.

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

In a riot you need authoritarians.  I’m OK, your OK doesn’t work.

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Unless it’s Trump being arrested or prosecuted 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

In a riot you need authoritarians.  I’m OK, your OK doesn’t work.

I didn’t see a “riot.” 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, auburnatl1 said:

Unless it’s Trump being arrested or prosecuted 

Just curious, has Tump ever resisted arrest?

Just now, TexasTiger said:

I didn’t see a “riot.” 

Why was the guy on the ground being arrested?  Do you know, do you think she knew?  She was in the wrong.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Why was the guy on the ground being arrested?  Do you know, do you think she knew?  She was in the wrong.

She didn’t touch anyone. She wasn’t preventing his detention, whether it was warranted or not. The officer could have come between and tried to talk to her. She did not need to be thrown to the ground. He immediately got overly physical. 

46 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

People should comply, but what separates us from Russia or communist China is the ability of the public to comment on government action and demand that action be modified if warranted.

And what separates us from unlawful nations is allowing police to do the jobs they are paid to do. I long ago quit being judge and jury on these situations without knowing the full context and content. If she was obeying the law and he randomly started grabbing her shame on him and may he be held accountable. If she was breaking the law and he was attempting to arrest her and she resisted, shame on her and may she be held accountable. Seems to me that is the most logical and fair approach to the situation. 

Edited by Gowebb11

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

And what separates us from unlawful nations is allowing police to do the jobs they are paid to do. I long ago quit being judge and jury on these situations without knowing the full context and content. If she was obeying the law and he randomly started grabbing her shame on him and may he be held accountable. If she was breaking the law and he was attempting to arrest her and she resisted, shame on her and may she be held accountable. Seems to me that is the most logical approach to the situation. 

Did you watch the full video?

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

She didn’t touch anyone. She wasn’t preventing his detention, whether it was warranted or not. The officer could have come between and tried to talk to her. She did not need to be thrown to the ground. He immediately got overly physical. 

If you really watched the full video, she knelt down and reached for something on the officer that was engaged in the arrest.  What she was reaching for, I don’t know and it doesn’t matter, she reached for something that could have endangered the officer.

The officer could have, but he didn’t.  Not a fireable offense since she was in the wrong.

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The fact that you call this a “riot” and think many wandering the Capitol taking pictures were innocent tourists explains a lot.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Just curious, has Tump ever resisted arrest?

Nope. Dont think he could move fast enough. But he’s had about 300 gag orders  placed on him by judges for being disrespectful and has stated he would pardon the 1/6 guys who attacked and hurt policemen. 

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If you really watched the full video, she knelt down and reached for something on the officer that was engaged in the arrest.  What she was reaching for, I don’t know and it doesn’t matter, she reached for something that could have endangered the officer.

The officer could have, but he didn’t.  Not a fireable offense since she was in the wrong.

Your hallucinating. She appeared to lean down to talk.

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I find that adhering to the NAACP recommendations on encounters with law enforcement would prevent a lot of deaths and injuries.

Know Your Rights | NAACP

1. Do stay calm and keep your emotions from getting the best of you. Be courteous even if the police officer is not. You will only give the officers more ammunition against you if you begin yelling, arguing or refusing reasonable directives.

2. Do carry identification at all times and be prepared to produce it.

3. Do keep your hands where the police officer can see them.

4. Do take photographs, if you are injured, and seek medical attention as soon as possible.

5. Do remember the officer's name and badge number as well as any witness information. Write down everything you remember about the encounter as soon as possible.

6. Don't run.

7. Don't touch the police officer.

8. Don't make any statements about the incident without first having spoken to an attorney. Reiterate your right to remain silent, if necessary.

Edited by JMWATS
  • Like 1

Many *peaceful protests* end up in being riots.  It happened a lot in the summer of 2020.