Early poll...win/loss predictions

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t believe we will have a losing season but say we go 6-7 or something weird like that , I don’t see him getting fired either. He will get at least three years no matter what in my eyes.

Agree that he will get 3 years but not going to be pretty if he has a rough season, I think it will get ugly. I'm all for being patience if it looks like we are making progress and I give him props for recruiting but at some point you have to show that we are making progress on the field. I dunno thats just my take, I want to win championships but right now I would just take looking like we belong on the field and can close out some games.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, cbo said:

I feel the same way. Still surprised we didn't bring in a transfer QB. Thorne will improve with the new surrounding cast, but he needs to be MUCH better than last season. And I don't see it happening. If he's struggling mid season, you have to try someone else. 

If he comes out of the UGA having shown little to no improvement over '23, give the open weekend to groom another QB.  See what the new guy can do against Mizzou & UK, and if that doesn't pan out put Thorne back in for Vandy/ULM and roll the dice to finish out with aTm/Bama.   I don't see Hugh swapping out mid-season, he's all-in on Thorne and he may sink or swim with him.  

Edited by JerryAU
  • Like 2

Just now, JerryAU said:

If he comes out of the UGA game showing and has shown little to no improvement, give the open weekend to groom another QB.  See what the new guy can do against Mizzou & UK, and if that doesn't pan out put Thorne back in for Vandy/ULM and roll the dice to finish out with aTm/Bama.   I don't see Hugh swapping out mid-season, he's all-in on Thorne and he may sink or swim with him.  

Yeah thats what I don't get, maybe it's just me but he seems to be pretty stubborn when it comes to that kind of stuff, kind of reminds me of Gus. Maybe most of the coaches are like that I dunno but he didnt want to make a change at all...

4 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

he seems to be pretty stubborn

There has never been a more stubborn person who walked the earth than Coach Pat Dye. Maybe it just goes with the territory.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bishoptf said:

Yeah thats what I don't get, maybe it's just me but he seems to be pretty stubborn when it comes to that kind of stuff, kind of reminds me of Gus. Maybe most of the coaches are like that I dunno but he didnt want to make a change at all...

He is very similar to Gus in many ways and stubbornness is one of them.  But I've seen him as a better innovator than Gus and he has a willingness to evolve some of his philosophies.  

• Like 1

Honestly I don’t have faith that Thorne will prove to be have improved to the point of taking us from a six win team to an 8 or 9. My hope is the people around him can offset it all. I do hope that this loyalty to Thorne does not become the undoing of Hugh Freeze. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There has never been a more stubborn person who walked the earth than Coach Pat Dye. Maybe it just goes with the territory.

Great Point I went to school when Dye was coaching and agree he was for sure.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Honestly I don’t have faith that Thorne will prove to be have improved to the point of taking us from a six win team to an 8 or 9. My hope is the people around him can offset it all. I do hope that this loyalty to Thorne does not become the undoing of Hugh Freeze. 

Agree that is what I am concerned about also, sometimes I wonder is he sees it as his failure since he brought him in, like acknowledging that he was wrong. I dunno, maybe Thorne has a better year, I guess we will see.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bishoptf said:

Agree that is what I am concerned about also, sometimes I wonder is he sees it as his failure since he brought him in, like acknowledging that he was wrong. I dunno, maybe Thorne has a better year, I guess we will see.

A better line, a more effective run game and sure-handed receivers provide him with weapons to improve. Whether that translates to wins, who knows? 

• Like 2

Just now, JerryAU said:

A better line, a more effective run game and sure-handed receivers provide him with weapons to improve. Whether that translates to wins, who knows? 

Agree, our receivers dropped a lot of balls, I stated that earlier that maybe things may have been different if they caught some of them, maybe changed the momentum of some of the games etc...Hoping for the best.

33 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Auburn returns 66% of its '23 production - I don't know it that's good or bad?

Our SEC opponents return the following:

OleMiss 70% - UGA 68% - UAT 53% - OK 65% - Mizzou 71% - UK 72% - aTm 67% - Vandy 64%

Ole Miss/UGA/Mizzou/UAT will be tough.   OK/Vandy/aTm/Arkansas we should be able to handle.  

There's absolutely no excuse for even one OOC loss this year.  I've got 8-4 at worst and get a dang bowl WIN for 9-4. 

Yup, after going out and getting Lewis, Lambert, Raikes and Blidi thereby adding even more seniors to the lineup does not indicate to me that CHF is viewing this as another recruiting year (assuming “another recruiting year” means 6-7).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

Agree, our receivers dropped a lot of balls, I stated that earlier that maybe things may have been different if they caught some of them, maybe changed the momentum of some of the games etc...Hoping for the best.

WR's were poor, but the day Auburn gets back the old "AUBURN" rushing attack is the day the offense starts clicking.  Auburn was always known as a team that could pound the ball and we could always depend on the run game.  Sadly, that hasn't been the case for a few years which places a heavier load on the QB and the WR's.  I don't mind seeing an RB catch a few passes out of the backfield and take off plowing through for 6-8 yrds. 😄

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Honestly I WISH Josh Pate were correct here, claiming that we would be a very young team (13 minute mark). Getting some playing time just isn’t the same thing as starting, sorry!

Edited by AUwent

54 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t believe we will have a losing season but say we go 6-7 or something weird like that , I don’t see him getting fired either. He will get at least three years no matter what in my eyes.

Agree he will get at least 3 years no matter what.  I'm fine with that considering the mess he inherited. 

But I predict his seat gets warm year 3. And if he has another NMSU type game in year 3, look out. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cbo said:

Agree he will get at least 3 years no matter what.  I'm fine with that considering the mess he inherited. 

But I predict his seat gets warm year 3. And if he has another NMSU type game in year 3, look out. 

The thing about freeze is he will have another game like that. It’s too much of a pattern. He will win games that we probably shouldn’t win and give up a game we shouldn’t. But with extension of the post season, it may not completely reset the season. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hugh Freeze has coached AU for one season. He has improved the roster in two recruiting-portal seasons. A trend has to have some data to back it up. We have insufficient data at this point. IMO. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The thing about freeze is he will have another game like that. It’s too much of a pattern. He will win games that we probably shouldn’t win and give up a game we shouldn’t. But with extension of the post season, it may not completely reset the season. 

Agree it is a pattern and great point about the new post season. I keep forgetting about that. The 12 team playoff gives us a much better shot. It's perfect for programs like ours that our traditionally in the top 10-15 range. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JerryAU said:

WR's were poor, but the day Auburn gets back the old "AUBURN" rushing attack is the day the offense starts clicking.  Auburn was always known as a team that could pound the ball and we could always depend on the run game.  Sadly, that hasn't been the case for a few years which places a heavier load on the QB and the WR's.  I don't mind seeing an RB catch a few passes out of the backfield and take off plowing through for 6-8 yrds. 😄

Those days are done. The game is OL, QBs and WRs, period. We had decent backs and have had decent backs throughout our slump. We've had only two QBs worth a flip in nearly a decade, we've never had top receivers and Gus didn't think we needed an offensive line. Our success this year is going to be Peyton Thorne. The line should be somewhat improved. WRs should be quite a bit better. If he can rise to that talent level around him, we could see 8 wins. If the guy who took the field against Maryland shows up, we might match last year's record. I don't expect our rushing numbers to change very much. 

• Sad 1

On 5/11/2024 at 5:22 AM, aucanucktiger said:

7 wins in 2024.

Even 2025 wont be our year, 9 wins realistic. But 2026, boom!!!

This assumes patience/coach-player price tag admin/fan rage issues don't set us back after a sub par 2024 and avg 2025.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Patience.   A novel trait which most AU fans do not have at this time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Patience.   A novel trait which most AU fans do not have at this time.

Eh I can't speak for all fans but I think most of us have patience if we see some inkling of improvement. CHF has done an outstanding job of getting recruiting turned around but he needs to be able to show some progress on the field. Some of those games last year the coaching was abhorrent, I would use some other adjectives but will leave it at that. IMHO if he continues to display that kind of coaching, no excuses are going to matter, who wants to pay to go see that. Everybody can say just give him time but at some point he needs to put up or shut up...:)

• Like 3

I learned through years on the job to be careful who you complain about because you haven’t seen their replacement yet. That became true when Harsin was hired to succeed Gus. We need to be patient with Freeze as long as he is working his tail off like he is. We tend to forget that the other teams are always trying to get better too so to catch up Freeze has to work even harder.  Auburn getting consistently better isn’t the hardest part. Auburn getting consistently better than the top 3-4 teams in the SEC is what’s going to take more time. That’s where showing progress the first 3 years is so important. Unless Freeze does something harmful to Auburn we need to hope we can, at a minimum, get through his initial contract. Can’t keep paying coaches to go away 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

I learned through years on the job to be careful who you complain about because you haven’t seen their replacement yet. That became true when Harsin was hired to succeed Gus. We need to be patient with Freeze as long as he is working his tail off like he is. We tend to forget that the other teams are always trying to get better too so to catch up Freeze has to work even harder.  Auburn getting consistently better isn’t the hardest part. Auburn getting consistently better than the top 3-4 teams in the SEC is what’s going to take more time. That’s where showing progress the first 3 years is so important. Unless Freeze does something harmful to Auburn we need to hope we can, at a minimum, get through his initial contract. Can’t keep paying coaches to go away 

Again no one disagrees with what he has done in regards to recruiting, it's the coaching that he appears to have a problem with...hopefully that will improve this year but he seems to make a lot of excuses instead of taking responsibility for his decisions. Again hoping he looks better on the coaching side of things this year...

10 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

Again no one disagrees with what he has done in regards to recruiting, it's the coaching that he appears to have a problem with...hopefully that will improve this year but he seems to make a lot of excuses instead of taking responsibility for his decisions. Again hoping he looks better on the coaching side of things this year...

NMSU was a complete failure but we probably had no business taking Alabama to the brink or being in the game with UGA. His coaching, as a whole, just isn’t the question for me that it is for some. 

Sorry didnt mean to derail...predictions folks get your predictions in....:)

22 hours ago, cbo said:

I feel the same way. Still surprised we didn't bring in a transfer QB. Thorne will improve with the new surrounding cast, but he needs to be MUCH better than last season. And I don't see it happening. If he's struggling mid season, you have to try someone else. 

If I had to guess, they are saving NIL funds for next year when we’re a bit more ready to make a playoff run. Crazy that CFB teams are not building rosters like pro teams but here we are. 

I’m with you. Don’t be married to PT. He will be gone in January. I’m sure CFH won’t let PT hurt his program’s chances going forward. 

• Like 2