Do you consider LSU a rivalry game?

geauxscott

Do you consider LSU a rivalry game?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider LSU a rivalry game?

• Yes
    • No
    • On its way

Just thought I would make a poll concerning this. Its being discussed in another thread, so I figured I'd make a poll.

I don't mean "is it stronger than UGA or Bama".....just in general, "Do you consider it a rivalry game?"

AU FANS ONLY FOR THE VOTING PLEASE!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tigrinum Major

I voted yes, but it is a distant third behind Bama and UGA.

If we still played Florida and/or UT, it would be fourth or fifth.

I'm with the Major here. It definitely has become a rivalry game since LSU is now a regular on our schedule. Since the change of the SEC with the east and west divisions and rotating schedules against the east, the LSU series has quickly become a big rivalry. Each year, it seems to add more stories(Cigars, burning buildings, burning vehicles :big: ) to the history of the series and make it that much more intense.

The question isn't worded right. Sure LSU is a rival. So is Ole Miss, Arky and everyone else we play in the SEC. The question should be something like "Do you consider LSU to be our #1 or #2 rival?"

I voted yes, but it is a distant third behind Bama and UGA.

If we still played Florida and/or UT, it would be fourth or fifth.

190779[/snapback]

Just curious......why UF? how many times has AU played UF. I wasn't aware that UF and AU had a history of being a rival.....I maybe mistaken. I know UF was a permenant on AU's schedule before the recent schedule realignment, but didin't know it went much deeper than that.

The fact that UF was so good in the mid-late 90's probably playse a role in that.......

It is a big rivalry game, but it is bigger for LSU than it is for Auburn. We have Bama, LSU has nobody so they have chosen Auburn to be the team to hate the most.

The question isn't worded right. Sure LSU is a rival. So is Ole Miss, Arky and everyone else we play in the SEC. The question should be something like "Do you consider LSU to be our #1 or #2 rival?"

190786[/snapback]

well, hell i know the answer to that .....HELL NO.. :D

geaux, before the SEC added SC and ARKY, then divided into east and west, UF and UT were regulars on our schedule each and every year. In fact, I think LSU was rotated on and off the schedule for a long time. I believe when the change came about, schools got to choose certain others to remain as constants on the schedule from the other division. AU and Georgia chose to keep their rivalry going and kept the game in the same slot each year, just before the Iron Bowl.

Just curious......why UF? how many times has AU played UF. I wasn't aware that UF and AU had a history of being a rival.....I maybe mistaken.  I know UF was a permenant on AU's schedule before the recent schedule realignment, but didin't know it went much deeper than that.

190787[/snapback]

Series Statistics, by total times played.

UGA - 52-48-8 108 games

GT - 47-40-4 91 games

UF - 40-38-2 80 games

Miss State - 54-22-2 78 games

Bama - 30-38-1 69 games

UT - 25-21-3 49 games

LSU - 18-20-1 39 games

Ole Miss - 21-8-0 29 games

190786[/snapback]

well, hell i know the answer to that .....HELL NO.. :D

190790[/snapback]

Good gosh Scott, you proved yourself to be much smarter than we thought. :big::big::big:

As for the question. As I posted on the other thread, now that AUBURN & LSU are playing every year, the rivalry aspect of the game and the week leading up to it will grow each and every year.

Florida used to be a rival, but now that we only play every 6 to 8 years, I look at them like a woman I used to love. Now after all these years I remember the wins and gloss over the losses.

LSU on the other hand is NOW with us every year.

geaux, before the SEC added SC and ARKY, then divided into east and west, UF and UT were regulars on our schedule each and every year.  In fact, I think LSU was rotated on and off the schedule for a long time.  I believe when the change came about, schools got to choose certain others to remain as constants on the schedule from the other division.  AU and Georgia chose to keep their rivalry going and kept the game in the same slot each year, just before the Iron Bowl.

190791[/snapback]

If i'm not mistaken even after the split into east and west divisions, UF was still a constant on the schedule up until a couple of years ago when they went from 2 permanent East teams down to one and rotated the others right?

geaux, before the SEC added SC and ARKY, then divided into east and west, UF and UT were regulars on our schedule each and every year.  In fact, I think LSU was rotated on and off the schedule for a long time.  I believe when the change came about, schools got to choose certain others to remain as constants on the schedule from the other division.  AU and Georgia chose to keep their rivalry going and kept the game in the same slot each year, just before the Iron Bowl.

190791[/snapback]

If i'm not mistaken even after the split into east and west divisions, UF was still a constant on the schedule up until a couple of years ago when they went from 2 permanent East teams down to one and rotated the others right?

190798[/snapback]

You are correct. When we had two permanant east teams, UF was one of them.

At my house, yeah, it pretty much is. :D But we are civil about it, except when Carl gets drunk at our annual crawfish boil and is safely surrounded by a bunch of his corndog bretheren (safety in numbers, plus I never cuss him in front of company). He tends to get a little obnoxious about Auburn then, but that's what living room couches and extra pillows are for, right? :P

However, it is not an intense-deep-down-hate-filled-blood-boiling-sucks-when-you-lose-rub-it-in-their-face-for-365-days-a-year-when-you-win kind of rivalry. That one is saved for someone else.

LSU for me falls somewhere between Georgia (total class, disappointment to lose but gracious after winning, for either side) and bammer (see comment above).

Yes, especially since we are in the west. Georgia is the best one,

uat is the hate filled one. Notice that uat's hate for :ut: stems from losing

9 out of 10 similar to :au: and uat after the 70's. Of course it was different

then, you can't recruit guys to keep other teams from getting them.

The LSU rivalry is different in that we don't think about it all year like

:uga: and uat

Good gosh Scott, you proved yourself to be much smarter than we thought.   :big:   :big:   :big:

190796[/snapback]

Corndogs have brains too ya know!!!!! :D

190801[/snapback]

So do ostriches but they stick their head in the sand a lot :poke:

I said yes, but my real feeling is that it is not as intense as Bama or UGA. It ranks 3rd to me as far as our rivalries go. Put it this way, if LSU goes by the wayside and becomes the next Ole Miss/Miss St. (at least for a few years), the rivalry thing will die down. Not the case with Bama or UGA. Even more so with Bama, as you just through the records out the door.

I agree with several others who said that LSU is our third biggest rival. Go back ten or twenty years and Florida, Tenn and Georgia Tech would have been bigger rivals, but the fact that we don't play those teams every year anymore, coupled with the crazy nature of the LSU rivalry the last fifteen years (and the fact that they have been pretty good, so the game often has a big outcome on who goes to Atlanta) have vaulted the LSU game to number three on my list.

I hate UAT.

I respect UGA and consider that our most honorable rivalry.

I love playing LSU b/c the games are so wild.

Ole Miss, Arky, and Miss State are just the other teams in the SEC that we play every year...

WDE!!!!

I agree about the respect b/w us and UGA, except that I know Auburn students from Georgia who hate them just as bad as most of us hate Bama. One of them is even a GT fan (though he is an AU fan first, of course). I'm not sure anyone hates the Dawgs more than him! :lol:

Archived