Do you consider LSU a rivalry game?

geauxscott

Do you consider LSU a rivalry game?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider LSU a rivalry game?

• Yes
    • No
    • On its way

Well someone out there thinks it's a rivalry. I assume it is in there this year, but I know in last year's NCAA Football game, LSU and Auburn were a rival game.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree about the respect b/w us and UGA, except that I know Auburn students from Georgia who hate them just as bad as most of us hate Bama.  One of them is even a GT fan (though he is an AU fan first, of course).  I'm not sure anyone hates the Dawgs more than him!  :lol:

190855[/snapback]

The :au: fans I know from Georgia are the same way. They hate :uga: more than :ua: .

I voted "YES" because just RECENTLY it has become a relevant game. Its a rivalry on the basis that both teams have become powerful.

The LSU game for many years was nothing more than a nuisance game. Similar to how Arkansas has been in the Tuberville era. LSU would always give us their best game. We'd go 9-2 and one of those losses would be to a pathetic LSU team.

Saban came along and won an SEC championship. I remember looking at my brother and saying, "LSU? Is the SEC THAT BAD this year?" Since then, LSU has become an SEC Super Power and the game has taken a much bigger role of significance. So, YES, after the last 4 years, it has become a rivalry game.

I most certainly consider LSU a huge rival. I am from Louisiana, but graduated from Auburn. I hate LSU with a passion. I have no respect for LSU or anything about that university. My hate for LSU is similiar to Auburn people's hate for Alabama. This is my Iron Bowl. As much as I despise Alabama, I hate LSU more. Try living with LSU fans all year long. They put Alabama fans to shame. :au::moon::lsu:

Honestly, I consider the LSU game to be a bit more of a rivalry than the Georgia game right now. I know we have all the history of the Georgia game but as someone recently posted, the LSU game has been very significant recently. For the past few years, these two teams have clearly been the class of the SEC west and I consider it the SEC West Championship game everytime we play. I think it is the same deal this year (sorry Bama, I consider you a pretender without the threat of Prothro). Whoever wins tomorrow night will be going to Atlanta and the loser will be left with aspirations of the capital one bowl. Huge game, Georgia is still big but it carries not near the significance of this game. Plus, I just respect UGA so much and really can't stand the Bayou Bengals.

WDE!

I most certainly consider LSU a huge rival.  I am from Louisiana, but graduated from Auburn.  I hate LSU with a passion.  I have no respect for LSU or anything about that university.  My hate for LSU is similiar to Auburn people's hate for Alabama.  This is my Iron Bowl.  As much as I despise Alabama, I hate LSU more.  Try living with LSU fans all year long.  They put Alabama fans to shame. :au:   :moon:   :lsu:

190993[/snapback]

tell us how you really feel!!! :P:D

This game is a rivalry and goes the longest way in deciding who represents the west in Atlanta. LSU and Auburn are the cream of the crop in the SEC West and will be for a long time.

War Damn Eagle! Beat the Pussycats!

Reading all the posts, I conclude that what is being said (for the most part) is LSU is a rival but a distant 3rd to bama and Georgia. Maybe a tie for 3rd with Tenn.

That's for sure where I am.

It has developed into a rivalry. I put it third behind Alabama and Georgia now. If we still played Florida, it would fall to fourth. But since UF is no longer a permanent opponent, LSU has taken that slot.

The one thing I will say is that even though the Georgia game has more history, the LSU game seems to have become more intense. Part of that comes from the Toonces: they don't have a rival in the AU-Bama, Bama-UT, AU-UGA sense of the word, so the Auburn game has become a very big deal for them. On top of that, we've been trading off the SEC West title the last few years (each winning it twice in the last 5 years) which heightens the importance of the game.

I think in addition to LSU being added as a regular the way the games have played out of the last 10 years or so make it a rivalry...the fire game, earthquake game, interception gaem...and my favorite that fueled it a little more...the stomping on the logo game (cigars)... :big:

This question is for the LSU fans. I know that the SEC has tried to establish a rivalry between you guys and Arky but do you really consider Arky a rival and if not, then who is your biggest rival? I mean, you guys do the boot and all with the Arky game but it doesn't really seem like a rivalry. I know alot of Arky fans and I don't think they really see it as their big rivalry game and they still consider their rival to be Texas.

Guest Tigrinum Major

The stomping on the logo game was horrible. That was the game that was postponed because of 9/11 and played after the Iron Bowl. We were in control of our own destiny and got stomped ourselves, 27-14. I remember watching that game at Maxwell AFB and eating chicken wings and being sick to my stomach.

This question is for the LSU fans.  I know that the SEC has tried to establish a rivalry between you guys and Arky but do you really consider Arky a rival and if not, then who is your biggest rival?  I mean, you guys do the boot and all with the Arky game but it doesn't really seem like a rivalry.  I know alot of Arky fans and I don't think they really see it as their big rivalry game and they still consider their rival to be Texas.

191058[/snapback]

I think if you did a poll at TF.....the answers would be...

Historically: Tulane, Ole Miss (but they suck and are no fun to beat)

Currently: I really think the over-whelming choice would be Auburn.

We also used to play Texas A&M every year......I wish they would renew that!!

This question is for the LSU fans.  I know that the SEC has tried to establish a rivalry between you guys and Arky but do you really consider Arky a rival and if not, then who is your biggest rival?  I mean, you guys do the boot and all with the Arky game but it doesn't really seem like a rivalry.  I know alot of Arky fans and I don't think they really see it as their big rivalry game and they still consider their rival to be Texas.

191058[/snapback]

191062[/snapback]

A current poll on LSUTigerForum indicates a virtual tie between Auburn and Tenn.

191058[/snapback]

191062[/snapback]

A current poll on LSUTigerForum indicates a virtual tie between Auburn and Tenn.

191063[/snapback]

Well the Tenn. part of that is solely because of the way they acted about coming down to BR. Never heard a bunch of whiners like them before.

As far as "RIVALRY" I am almost certain that AU would take the top spot......Some would say Tulane or Ole Miss for historical reasons, but right now AU takes it home easily IMO.

The thing that makes it hard for LSU to have a true SEC rival is that the closest SEC school to LSU is Miss. St. which is 5hrs away!! Ole Miss was huge back in the day and heated up while Manning was there, but other than that, its been dead for awhile.

Well, I think we should first define a "rivalry game." Since AU and LSU are both after the same crown (SEC West) in order to get the next crown (SEC), then it is clear that it is a very important game. Since AU and LSU have been the best two teams in the West of late, this game affects each teams ability to climb the SEC ladder. If this was the only factor to be considered, then it is a rivalry game.

But when I think of "rivalry" I think of long standing tradition. Grandparents telling grandkids how it was between the two schools when those leather helments would pop against one another. In that sense, this is not a rivalry game.

Lastly, I consider tough, but clean play and fan sportsmanship. AU/UA is a rivalry. There have been some negatives over the years in team play and fan sportsmanship, but all in all, it is somewhat amazing that the play and fan interaction between these two schools is as clean as it is. AU/UGA is an even better example of a rivalry rooted in sportsmanship and respect. AU/LSU however, regardless of who's at fault, does not have the aura of good sportsmanship and respect. Therefore considering this criteria, this is not a "rivalry game."

There needs to be a close win/loss ratio. I think LSU qualifies here. Therefore it could be a rivalry game.

2/4 = no rivalry - with potential to become one.

Others may have other thoughts, and I'm sure other factors should be considered. I would like to hear others thoughts on what makes a "rivalry game."

he asked for rival, not traditional rival, so I can understand where the different opinions come in. The UGA/AU game has history because you have played so long, but does it really matter more than your biggest competition for a trip to the SECCG? from our perspectivelooking at LSU/UF, no way. We play Florida every year because the League office says we have to, we did not choose to play Florida. matter of fact when all of that happened and LSU sucked, a lot of Tiger fans complained about LSU drawing Florida as the permanent opponent.

I think the LSU/AU game has become a marquee matchup that everyone pays attention to. Can't really say that about AU/UGA - there doesn't seem to be any animosity there. It usually is a good game, but it doesn't get the blood boiling.

LSU does not have a real rival anymore, so the attention is focused onto the stiffest Division competition. For a while now it has been Auburn. Throw some classless episodes from both sides onto the fire and watch it burn even brighter.

I laugh at the venom some of you display towards an LSU program that you obviously feel superior to. Did you ever think that your moral superiority feeds the intense burning LSU fans have for this game? Kind of reminds me of the way some Alabama fans talk about Auburn. :poke:

but then you have people start threads like this

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/message...c.asp?p=1302888

that really put the whole thing inperspective.

So Auburn has 4 football national championships?

according to this Auburn fan you do: 1957, 1983, 1993, 2004.

So is Auburn fan becoming what most say they despise? TIDEFAN? :roflol:

I laugh at the venom some of you display towards an LSU program that you obviously feel superior to.

191070[/snapback]

Venom by AUBURN fans? Don't think there was any Auburn profanity besides "arse" on the first page, which was as far as I chose to read. Too many words blocked by the "*****" - man, you corndogs know how to cuss in the most crude and profane way imaginable, and you say WE spew venom? The post Luke made was no worse than any made over here by LSUSCOTT or Ellis Hugh - just some smack and flame on a rival's board - and those Faux Tigers jumped on it like a hungry nutria on a french fry.

The perspective I got was that LSU fans can't handle trash talking because they FEEL inferior and resent having it thrown up in their faces! And maybe they are just worried about tomorrow? <_<

I laugh at the venom some of you display towards an LSU program that you obviously feel superior to.

191070[/snapback]

Venom by AUBURN fans? Don't think there was any Auburn profanity besides "arse" on the first page, which was as far as I chose to read. Too many words blocked by the "*****" - man, you corndogs know how to cuss in the most crude and profane way imaginable, and you say WE spew venom? The post Luke made was no worse than any made over here by LSUSCOTT or Ellis Hugh - just some smack and flame on a rival's board - and those Faux Tigers jumped on it like a hungry nutria on a french fry.

The perspective I got was that LSU fans can't handle trash talking because they FEEL inferior and resent having it thrown up in their faces! And maybe they are just worried about tomorrow? <_<

191075[/snapback]

Great jab, Jenny! :big::big:

191070[/snapback]

191075[/snapback]

Knowing that Tommy Tuberville owns you and your team.... Of my favorite victories of the Faux Tigers of LSU includes the 41-7 beat down "cigars, logo stomping, the look on your face" , followed by 10-9, "thank that moronic player from LSU that handed the game to AU on the penalty" "nevermind the fact that Saban wanted that very ruled applied in the 04 season !!!, then the 31-7 beat down applied to your pathetic team in Jordan -Hare just a few seasons ago... Life must truly suck as an LSU fan...

Media hype or not... AU owns your arse !!!!!

yeah poor Luke he wasn't trying to flame the LSU board hunh? he was just trying to carry on a "spirited conversation"

do you think Luke will go over to the UGA boards and flame theirs as well? Do you think I could post something like that here and not get banned? even in the Woodshed? not likely. Notice his post is still up and he was not banned for it.

Those LSU fans just bring all this animosity on themselves right? because we are inferior to you we deserve it?

What I find really funny is how condescending Auburn fans really are. But what is this based on? Alabama fans doing this to you? So Auburn fans do this to us? Makes you all feel better to deride a program and its fanbase? Apparently. What catchy little nickname does Auburn fan have for its number 2 bitter rival UGA? I've never seen one, is UGA not worth of a catchy nickname? I guess only LSU is worthy of such distinction. Even though we are only number 4 on the rivalry meter behind UAT,UGA, and UF. :no:

what a joke. ;)

:corndog::lsu:

supah, I would like to point you towards one of your brethren and his feeble attempts at smack talk.  Much more vile that Luke's posts on the droppings site:

LSUSCOTT - Man or myth?

191083[/snapback]

yeah sadly it takes all kinds doesn't it? I was not "outraged" at Luke. Actually he flamed out so fast, it was kind of funny.

It is the "we are better than that" attitude some fans have that I find irritating. I have seen countless posts from AU fans here talking about Alabama's elitism towards AU, yet AU fans love to do the same thing to LSU.

An irony and myopia coctail if you will.

good luck on Saturday. geaux tigers.

:corndog::lsu:

do you think Luke will go over to the UGA boards and flame theirs as well? Do you think I could post something like that here and not get banned? even in the Woodshed? not likely. Notice his post is still up and he was not banned for it.

191081[/snapback]

The post Luke made was no worse than any made over here by LSUSCOTT or Ellis Hugh - just some smack and flame on a rival's board - and those Faux Tigers jumped on it like a hungry nutria on a french fry.

191075[/snapback]

Maybe you missed that in my original post - I quite plainly said his post was a flame - JUST like the flames LSUSCOTT posts here and DOESN"T get banned for. And you wouldn't get banned for posting the exact same thing here aimed at us - as long as you post in the Woodshed. Flame away - keep it relatively clean and don't talk about any player or his family in a personal way and you will not be banned.

What catchy little nickname does Auburn fan have for its number 2 bitter rival UGA? I've never seen one, is UGA not worth of a catchy nickname? I guess only LSU is worthy of such distinction.

191081[/snapback]

Actually, show up the week of the Georgia game and you will see lots of talk about beating the Leg Humpers. Kind of makes corndog look pretty good, huh?

Georgia is not a bitter rival - just a long time traditional one. As far as I know, they have never thrown rocks at our team bus. So we'll save the "bitter" part for you LSU fans.

Basically, if there are any feelings of superiority for Auburn fans towards LSU, it's because we have earned them on the field LATELY. We make fun of bammer acting all superior because they have sucked for so long - it is delusional for them to act that way when it has been a while since they beat us, since it took them 100 years to score on Auburn in Tuscaloser, and since their new coach just got his first "signature win" against a raunchy Florida team! How to you translate that into "superior"? :blink:

I think you guys just don't like to admit that y'all need to hate us more than we need to hate you. But that's okay - we plan on continuing to give you reasons to hate us for a LOOOOONNNNGGGG time. :au:

Archived