Kenny Irons

TexasTiger

Great game. Very hard running. Tough guy.

...but, I got to say I'm a little uncomfortable with an AU back taking his brief moment in front of a camera before the game saying he's going to put up 200. Yeah, I know they say "it ain't bragging if you back it up," but the focus of the quote is on individual achievement. He's his own guy, but I couldn't imagine Ronnie or Carnell doing that in the same situation. If asked the question, maybe. Don't get me wrong. I'm impressed with the way he has worked his way into a position to show what he can do. Just a thought...

I understand what you are saying, and yes, its not what Ronnie of Carnell would do. However, like you said, he's his own guy. I think Kenny and David both talk a good bit of smack. That's just the way they are. They're not bad kids. I think, on this one, maybe we can cut him a little slack. I mean, he did run for 218 yards and (almost) singlehandedly keep us in that game when everyone else was dropping passes and missing kicks.

Kenny is a hard worker, and while it seems a bit over the top, he really expects to do well when he carries the ball. He is as hard a runner as you will find. He just got caught up in the moment. But he DID have 218 last night.

I don't think we're in any position to say anything about his prediction. Had he run for less than 100, then i would see your point. The guy called for 200 yards (!!!) and he DID it. The last guy to even put up 200 yards was Caddy and that was 2 years ago. Kenny did it against a defense that was supposed to shut down our run. He called it, and he went out and did it. Kenny is the man. War Eagle! We found out alot about our team tonight though...just like that Florida game the last time we played in Gainesville when Caddy went down for the season, and Jason and Ronnie came in and took over. We lost that game, but we won all but one game the rest of the year (and the one loss came against Georgia in the last minute on a 4th & 15 horsecrap conversion).

I see this game in a similar light, Duval missed the FG that would have won the game against UF, and here we had SEVERAL mistakes that would have wrapped the game up for us. This game showed that our team can and will compete. War Eagle!

I don't think we're in any position to say anything about his prediction. Had he run for less than 100, then i would see your point. The guy called for 200 yards (!!!) and he DID it. The last guy to even put up 200 yards was Caddy and that was 2 years ago. Kenny did it against a defense that was supposed to shut down our run. He called it, and he went out and did it. Kenny is the man. War Eagle! We found out alot about our team tonight though...just like that Florida game the last time we played in Gainesville when Caddy went down for the season, and Jason and Ronnie came in and took over. We lost that game, but we won all but one game the rest of the year (and the one loss came against Georgia in the last minute on a 4th & 15 horsecrap conversion).

I see this game in a similar light, Duval missed the FG that would have won the game against UF, and here we had SEVERAL mistakes that would have wrapped the game up for us. This game showed that our team can and will compete. War Eagle!

191709[/snapback]

I don't think we're in any position to say anything about his prediction. Had he run for less than 100, then i would see your point.

I don't think you would then see my point because my point wasn't contingent on his performance.

And, BTW, I praised his actual performance without qualification.

Kenny Irons is the real deal and was huge last night. I thought it was pretty sweet for him to say he would put up 200 on LSU... and he did. He is a great player and get's are team pumped up. You have got to have confidence to be a good back. Kenny Irons is for real and he will run all over Georgia and Alabama.

I was a little uncomfortable with his boast also--I'd have been happier if he had promised a team victory than personal success (particularly if he could have delivered on that!).

But he is known on the team for being a joker and smack-talker and his teammates seem to take it in stride as a harmless personality trait rather than selfish ego. Certainly from what I've read of his Dad's comments in the press, I think he comes from good, well-principled parents who wouldn't raise a selfish prima donna.

It's hard to argue with a 200+ yd performance, though, particularly against LSU's defense. I can't wait for Brad Lester to get healthy and have Al Borges pull out his "Ronnie & Carnell" tandem-backfield playbook!

I am wondering if the 218 was a record for an opposing RB in Tiger Stadium. I was there in 1980 when James Brooks got 210 on 35 carries, and I think that was the record at that time. We lost that game, too, by 21-17. We were up 17-14, but gave up a long TD. later, we blocked a punt, setting us up on their 11. First pass was right in Byron Franklins hands in the end zone, but he dropped it. Eerily similar to last night's game.

Come on, what's wrong with a little bit of smack? I would have been more upset about him saying "we're going to kick LSU's butt" than claiming he was going to get 200 yards. I sure wish he could have tacked on about 25 more so we could see him "do his dance on EPSN" *sigh* I think it's good for the team to have players with that kind of intensity on the team.

Great game.  Very hard running.  Tough guy.

...but, I got to say I'm a little uncomfortable with an AU back taking his brief moment in front of a camera before the game saying he's going to put up 200.  Yeah, I know they say "it ain't bragging if you back it up," but the focus of the quote is on individual achievement.  He's his own guy, but I couldn't imagine Ronnie or Carnell doing that in the same situation.  If asked the question, maybe.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm impressed with the way he has worked his way into a  position to show what he can do.  Just a thought...

191679[/snapback]

Cmon man, theres no need for this post. If you even know the Irons family, they are very humble people. David and Kenny are known for talking, but I have no problem with it. Look, he came into Baton Rouge PUMPED up, said he was getting over 200 yards, and ended up getting over 200 yards. Now thats the kinda guy I like.

Did you think the same thing when you heard of Babe Ruth pointing his bat to the outfield calling a home run? Probably not. I wouldnt sweat this nor post about it this way.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I am wondering if the 218 was a record for an opposing RB in Tiger Stadium.  I was there in 1980 when James Brooks got 210 on 35 carries, and I think that was the record at that time.  We lost that game, too, by 21-17.  We were up 17-14, but gave up a long TD.  later, we blocked a punt, setting us up on their 11.  First pass was right in Byron Franklins hands in the end zone, but he dropped it.  Eerily similar to last night's game.

191752[/snapback]

I remember listening to that game on the radio. Wow, that was 25 years ago?

I am wondering if the 218 was a record for an opposing RB in Tiger Stadium.  I was there in 1980 when James Brooks got 210 on 35 carries, and I think that was the record at that time.  We lost that game, too, by 21-17.  We were up 17-14, but gave up a long TD.  later, we blocked a punt, setting us up on their 11.  First pass was right in Byron Franklins hands in the end zone, but he dropped it.  Eerily similar to last night's game.

191752[/snapback]

I believe Shawn Alexander has the record. He ran for nearly 300 on them a few years back.

I don't think ESPN would have put him on saying that if he didn't get close to 200 yards. If you notice they didn't show that clip until he had about 180.

I don't think ESPN would have put him on saying that if he didn't get close to 200 yards.  If you notice they didn't show that clip until he had about 180.

191910[/snapback]

I noticed that too. And it surprised me that they didn't show that early in the game after a play on which they had stopped KI short. I would have thought they would have "used" that to try to make us look bad.

Great game.  Very hard running.  Tough guy.

...but, I got to say I'm a little uncomfortable with an AU back taking his brief moment in front of a camera before the game saying he's going to put up 200.  Yeah, I know they say "it ain't bragging if you back it up," but the focus of the quote is on individual achievement.  He's his own guy, but I couldn't imagine Ronnie or Carnell doing that in the same situation.  If asked the question, maybe.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm impressed with the way he has worked his way into a  position to show what he can do.  Just a thought...

191679[/snapback]

Cmon man, theres no need for this post. If you even know the Irons family, they are very humble people. David and Kenny are known for talking, but I have no problem with it. Look, he came into Baton Rouge PUMPED up, said he was getting over 200 yards, and ended up getting over 200 yards. Now thats the kinda guy I like.

Did you think the same thing when you heard of Babe Ruth pointing his bat to the outfield calling a home run? Probably not. I wouldnt sweat this nor post about it this way.

191787[/snapback]

Well gee whiz, Vatzy, there's really no need for most posts.

It's not like I slammed the guy. I even praised him, but said I was a bit uncomfortable with him sticking his face in the camera before the game talking about what he was gonna do. Do I think the same about the Babe? Yeah, I do. I much preferred Lou Gehrig. I guess I'm old school. But I suspect Coaches Jordan and Dye would have a similar reaction.

Archived