Construction project going way too far...

WarDlowe

link

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. They are going to tear up that awesome looking brick and placing plain white concrete on that centerpiece of Auburn. We need to raise as much hell as possible about this... I'm all for improving campus but this is ridiculous.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Unless I am mistaken, this is not the Haley Concourse. The area they are talking about is the area next to the EE building.

I do agree that we get too gung-ho with concrete and steel posts. The brick pavers won't last forever, but they could be replaced periodically. At least the new concrete they are using is scored and not just plain.

I hope you're right. I would just hate to see the Haley concourse torn up. That to me is just a piece of Auburn that shouldn't be changed. I'm a huge Auburn traditionalist though, even though I am a student here and kind of young, I was just raised on Auburn the way I've always known it and I hate to see it change in ways that take away pieces of this place that make it the way it has always been.

The Haley concourse is almost gone now. Looks like this project will tag onto that one. What they are doing there is really nice in the end, but it's a lot different than what used to be there.

Just FYI wait until you see this weekend all the new areas which have been blocked off to keep people from parking on grass, etc. I.e. corner of Samford and Donahue where the big 4X4 guys always park...not anymore.

I hope you're right.  I would just hate to see the Haley concourse torn up.  That to me is just a piece of Auburn that shouldn't be changed.  I'm a huge Auburn traditionalist though, even though I am a student here and kind of young, I was just raised on Auburn the way I've always known it and I hate to see it change in ways that take away pieces of this place that make it the way it has always been.

193117[/snapback]

Change is going to happen. I can't even find my way around anymore. My daughter laughs at me because I keep pointing out where things used to be. :big:

Unless I am mistaken, this is not the Haley Concourse.  The area they are talking about is the area next to the EE building.

193108[/snapback]

Yea, it's right in front of Broun Hall. If you think they'll stop there, you're wrong. AU is a concrete campus encircled with ugly little poles. Congrats to the Interim President Idiot, he has officially negated any "lovely" left in the 'Village". :puke:

I'm ready to see some addition of seats. Other schools in the SEC are matching our capacity or exceeding it. Shortly LSU and Bammer's seating will surpass ours as well as already bigger Tennessee and Georgia. Lets get with the program. WDE! :au:

To each his own. I think the improvements being made look good and keeping traffic out of the heart of the campus is great. The little poles and green grass look a heck of a lot better than the dead grass and cars/tents/trash all over the place.

I have lost all respect for whatever they think they are trying to do with these projects. We used to tailgate under the pin oak next to Hellen Keller Hall before they decided to "extend" the concourse and concrete everything. This is only a place where we have tailgated for the past thirty some odd years. I understand that some things are progress and some of us just need to get over it and move on but it is becoming habitual as far as the concreting of areas is concerned. Our lovely ex president's wife, mrs Muse is to thank for getting this entire ball rolling.

I'm ready to see some addition of seats. Other schools in the SEC are matching our capacity or exceeding it. Shortly LSU and Bammer's seating will surpass ours as well as already bigger Tennessee and Georgia. Lets get with the program. WDE! :au:

193200[/snapback]

LSU already does, uat will next year, but it is temporary. The plan to deck

the endzone is still there (10,000 seats?) when it will happen probably depends

on :$:

I've heard the rumors about enclsoing an endzone since I was in school there - I graduated in 1994.

To each his own. I think the improvements being made look good and keeping traffic out of the heart of the campus is great. The little poles and green grass look a heck of a lot better than the dead grass and cars/tents/trash all over the place.

193213[/snapback]

I would like more grass personally. Instead of building what is now Thatch River every time it rains, they should have left the sidewalks on both sides of the road and constructed a mall, where the road is covered with grass and lined with trees. That would have looked awesome and have very little maintenace over the years. That concrete is going to crack, stain with mildew, gum, dirt, and tires (from all the university people treating it as a shortcut) and look like complete crap in 2 years. Not to mention its blinding the 30,000 people at this school.

Hey GoAU, I've heard those same rumors about enclosing an end zone......I think they are just rumors..... :big::blink:

Hey GoAU, I've heard those same rumors about enclosing an end zone......I think they are just rumors..... :big:   :blink:

193256[/snapback]

Either that or they've been in planning for over 12 years!! Holy crap, have I been out of school for that long? :blink: I must be getting old...... :(

193200[/snapback]

193224[/snapback]

I think there are three things that are keeping AU from enclosing the upperdeck:

1.) An underground creek runs directly under one end of the stadium (parker side I think).

2.) $$$

3.) AU fans have to consistantly fill the seats already present.

193200[/snapback]

193224[/snapback]

I think there are three things that are keeping AU from enclosing the upperdeck:

1.) An underground creek runs directly under one end of the stadium (parker side I think).

2.) $$$

193272[/snapback]

None of these will inhibit an addition when the time is right. Your reason #3 is not true. All you have to do is sell the seats not neccessarily have bodies sitting in them. And most games now are sellouts.

193200[/snapback]

193224[/snapback]

2.) $$$

193272[/snapback]

None of these will inhibit an addition when the time is right. Your reason #3 is not true. All you have to do is sell the seats not neccessarily have bodies sitting in them. And most games now are sellouts.

193278[/snapback]

We will wait until UAT announces an official number for their seating capacity. Then Auburn will add on again. UAT will hold the State record for about two years, until our new facility is complete. The new seats are coming, that is why all of the "under carriage" work on the concourses are being done first. You have to be able to handle the flow of the crowds and have the restrooms in place.

Archived