pat dye

Auburn910

i know a lot on this board think naming the field after a coach that "cheated" is in poor judgement with tommy doing so well etc etc. Let me tell you, i agree naming the field is a bad idea. What this man deserves is having the stadium renamed in his honor. not Jordan-Hare-dye, not Jordan-Dye, but PAT DYE STADIUM. He built that house, he over saw both big expansions, he made bama come to our house, he faught bama in teh trenches in the politics over and over, the man did wonders for Auburn. Dye took over crap and won the SEC in his 3rd year and should have won the NC, he won 3 more SEC titles all with in 9 years at Auburn. Nobody will EVER do that again. There are 5 coaches who have 3 pete the SEC. Bear, Neyland, Dooley, Spurrier, and Dye. No honor is too much for this man, we should name the stadium after him. Simple as that.

i know a lot on this board think naming the field after a coach that "cheated" is in poor judgement with tommy doing so well etc etc.  Let me tell you, i agree naming the field is a bad idea.  What this man deserves is having the stadium renamed in his honor. not Jordan-Hare-dye, not Jordan-Dye, but PAT DYE STADIUM.  He built that house, he over saw both big expansions, he made bama come to our house, he faught bama in teh trenches in the politics over and over, the man did wonders for Auburn.  Dye took over crap and won the SEC in his 3rd year and should have won the NC, he won 3 more SEC titles all with in 9 years at Auburn.  Nobody will EVER do that again.  There are 5 coaches who have 3 pete the SEC.  Bear, Neyland, Dooley, Spurrier, and Dye.  No honor is too much for this man, we should name the stadium after him. Simple as that.

199308[/snapback]

Rediculous. Check out the size of the stadium when Shug came and then when he left. Shug Jordan is the embodiment of AU. And yes, he had a problem with probation. He did coach our only (non-Bammer count) National Championship. He was a great man, a great father figure and a great and positive contrast to Bear. He stood well above the presence of Coach Dye, and I believe Coach Dye would agree.

What has CTT done since he's been here? Even CTBowden had an undefeated, untied season. What are you gonna name after CTT? The field doesn't need a name and shouldn't have one. If you have to name it, name it Sullivan-Jackson Field after two of the greats that played on it while wearing orange and blue.

They just need to quit naming everything. Put a bust of him in the stadium - hell a full size statue, I don't care. But, the field should not be named after him or the Stadium or anything else.

Having said that I am in total support of naming the urinals at Jordan-Hare "The Paul 'Bear' Bryant Memorial Urinals." :blink:

Guest Tigrinum Major
He built that house, he over saw both big expansions, he made bama come to our house,

199308[/snapback]

Dye did not oversee both big expansions. The first upper deck was built just before he arrived. The second was built during the heady days of the late 80's. When he got here, the capacity was 72,000. When he left, it was 85,214. Conversely, when Shug took over the program, capacity was 34,500. When he left, it was 61,261. Don't tell me that Shug didn't build the facility that bears his name.

Dye deserves a special place in Auburn history, but he does not deserve the stadium named after him. Shug was and always will be, the epitome of Auburn. Not just Auburn football, but Auburn.

Can't believe this discussion is even happening. Auburn football didn't just happen

when Coach Dye arrived. Since 1892 Auburn has been making football history.

To ignore what those did before us is an insult. Examples:

Hare, Cliff

Cliff Hare was a member of Auburn’s first football team who went on to serve as chair of the Auburn Faculty Athletic Committee. Auburn’s football stadium is named for the longtime professor and dean of the School of Chemistry. He served as president of the Southern Conference before the formation of the Southeastern Conference.

Heisman, John

The legendary coach for which college football’s top honor is named coached at Auburn from 1895-99, posting a 12-4-2 record. Auburn is the only school where John Heisman coached to have a Heisman Trophy winner. Heisman left Auburn for Clemson and then Georgia Tech, where he lost 10 of 15 meetings with Auburn.

Heisman Trophy

Auburn has two. Pat Sullivan won the coveted award in 1971. Bo Jackson did the same in 1985.

Jordan, Ralph

Over the years no name has been more synonymous with Auburn football than Ralph “Shug” Jordan. The all-time winningest football coach at Auburn, Jordan won 176 games over a 25-year career on The Plains. A four-time Southeastern Conference coach of the year, he was also named national coach of the year in 1957 after leading Auburn to its only current football national championship.

The future will be great for Auburn, embrace the past and celebrate the present,

and build the future. Auburn has a very good chance of winning multiple SEC championships in the coming years, I would expect no less.

Don't forget that he made athletics fully self supported when they used to have to borrow over a million from the university's operating budget.... Dye did huge things for Auburn no question and I don't think anyone can deny that, regardless of what your views are about naming the field after him. There is no question that the man loves Auburn and did a lot for this place that we all love. I for one do support the field being named after him, and there's no way that I ever think Coach Jordan's name should EVER be removed from the stadium.

Oh and about naming the urinals after the great Bahr, how bout we just do that at Jordan-Hare West. After all that place is one giant urinal.

Having said that I am in total support of naming the urinals at Jordan-Hare "The Paul 'Bear' Bryant Memorial Urinals."  :blink:

199329[/snapback]

I second the motion...All in favor?

That would be Bryant memorial #15,001 in the State.

But, the field should not be named after him or the Stadium or anything else.

:blink:

199329[/snapback]

Well it's a done deal so why continue to air it out for everyone in the world to read.

Move on!!! :cheer:

I have to post one thing and then I too will "move on".

I wouldn't call myself an old-timer, but I have seen more than 20 Iron Bowls in my precious time here on earth. I was there for Coach Partick Pain Dye's first game, season, Iron Bowl loss and win. As a youngster, I assumed at that point that Auburn had always been as good as they were in '83. My father quickly pointed out to me that they hadn't been that good for some time before then.

As time went on, I saw that CPFD had made a dynsaty on the Plains. They had some great years and some not so great, but through it all you could see that much like the folks from that smaller school in the western part of the state are now claiming, they were "back".

1989 was the culmination of all CPFD's blood, sweat and tears when for the first time, we were able to see the Tigers win on non "neutral" soil. That Tiger walk was the most awesome sight I have ever seen. Then, CPFD proceeded to take his Tigers on the field and clean the grass with the Tahds. He had worked for eight years to get the game to Auburn, and the blue and orange haze from the paper shakers lasted for days was a sign that it was all worth it for CPFD.

While I don't want to voice an opinion on the stadium itself, I for one think it extremely fitting that the field is named after him because, after all, that is where he first made Auburn "equal" to that school over by the river - on the field!

WDE!!!!

BEAT BAMA!!!

I don't understand this "equal" crap. We have always been better than Bammer. On the field and off. They may have won more games in a certain period of time, but that's because the ball bounced the wrong way or Turd Luck, etc. Hell, I've never considered Bammer "equal" to us, and I don't do so now. Bammer's more like satan - powerful but never better.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!

FLICKER, FLICKER YELLOWHAMMER,

GO TO HELL ALABAMA!

[NOTE - THE LAST LINE MAY ALSO READ "GO HOME ALABAMA" AND MEAN THE SAME THING!) *GRIN*

I don't understand this "equal" crap.  We have always been better than Bammer.  On the field and off.  They may have won more games in a certain period of time, but that's because the ball bounced the wrong way or Turd Luck, etc.  Hell, I've never considered Bammer "equal" to us, and I don't do so now.  Bammer's more like satan - powerful but never better.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!

FLICKER, FLICKER YELLOWHAMMER,

GO TO HELL ALABAMA!

[NOTE - THE LAST LINE MAY ALSO READ "GO HOME ALABAMA" AND MEAN THE SAME THING!) *GRIN*

199451[/snapback]

That is why I put it in quotations. I was referring to the general public perception. I do like your comparison though. Come to think of it, satan is always portrayed in red...Hmmmm!

"Your enemies' shields are red; their uniforms are crimson" - Nahum 2:3

:big:

Legal. Has anyone ever addressed your *grin* emoticon, or lack thereof. You know the little happy guy doesn't show up, don't you? Only the written word, "grin".

Not pickin' at ya', I just didn't know if you knew we weren't gettin' the little grinning guy. And DADGUMMIT, I WANT THAT LITTLE GRINNING EMOTICON.

LIKE THIS :P:D:lol::big:

Legal.  Has anyone ever addressed your *grin* emoticon, or lack thereof.  You know the little happy guy doesn't show up, don't you?  Only the written word, "grin".

Not pickin' at ya', I just didn't know if you knew we weren't gettin' the little grinning guy.  And DADGUMMIT, I WANT THAT LITTLE GRINNING EMOTICON.

LIKE THIS :P   :D  :lol:   :big:

199455[/snapback]

Uh, duh, let's see, yep, I did. When I type *grin* the receiver has the opportunity to use his or her imagination (which, you, of course, may not have! *grin*) rather than to be limited to the "Little Grinning Emoticon."

Btw, send Ol' PT a bill for something. It's your job as his lawyer to drain his high and deep pockets! *BIG ASS GRIN*

WAR EAGLE!

Archived