opinions on lsu and the rivalry between us

upsizin

Its as simple as this...If we are playing :ua: in hopscotch, I want to demolish them and kick them while they are down. Stomp a mudhole and walk it dry....

I don't have that hatred for :uga: but I REALLY want to get that win more than anything over the bulldogs.

If we are playing LSU, I want a win, but thats it. I want to win the West, therefore the game is of critical importance.

A game's level of importance does not make it a rival. It makes it a "big stakes" game, but that is all.

No one that is not an Auburn fan can truly understand how much we hate Alabama.  It would not matter if the game was absolutely meaningless in the SEC, NC race, or anything else in the history of football.  We still hate them and we still start getting those butterflies in our stomachs on Wednesday before the IB. 

I never think about LSU unless I'm at the county fair.

202695[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

We still hate them and we still start getting those butterflies in our stomachs on Wednesday before the IB. 

202695[/snapback]

Only Wednesday? Mine usually kick in about 30 seconds after the UGA game.

As far as LSU being a rival? Nope. At best, given the current rotation of teams within the SEC, they are #3. It's a very important game, but if I could pick one, and only one, team to beat every year, it wouldn't be LSU.

I really don't understand why the LSEwes are trying so hard to make us their number 1 rival. Yes, the winner of our game is the likely SEC west winner, but a true rivalry is a lot more than just that. Too many miles separate us, not only geographically but culturally as well for us to relate as rivals. Just like with Notre Dame or Penn State, I have serious dislikes for both, but would never consider them rivals even if we played every year.

The rivalry with $PUAT will never be replaced; it is the most bitter in the country. We all live in the same state; the players all know one another. Every AU grad knows dozens of UAT grads; we share the same space, day in and day out. The Hatfields and McCoys have nothing on the AU - UAT rivalry.

The rivalry with UGA is almost as intense, but not nearly so bitter. This is the rivalry between two brothers who are close enough to the same age to have always competed with each other. We've exchanged coaches so many times over the years that our programs are forever entwined, just like the lives of brothers..... Jordan, Dooley, Dye, Nall, Garner and many others. The FIRST football game in what is now the SEC was AU -UGA! That fact will never change. This is a rivalry of classic games, with dozens just as intense as this years..... the SEC's first overtime game.

Sure, we've had some memorable games with LSU, weird memorable games, but those do not make a rivalry. I agree with one poster above, LSU's long-time rival is Ole Miss and when Croom gets them competitive again, you LSEwes won't have to desparately seek a rival; they will be there for you!

I really don't understand why the LSEwes are trying so hard to make us their number 1 rival.  Yes, the winner of our game is the likely SEC west winner, but a true rivalry is a lot more than just that.  Too many miles separate us, not only geographically but culturally as well for us to relate as rivals.  Just like with Notre Dame or Penn State, I have serious dislikes for both, but would never consider them rivals even if we played every year. 

The rivalry with $PUAT will never be replaced; it is the most bitter in the country.  We all  live in the same state; the players all know one another.  Every AU grad knows dozens of UAT grads; we share the same space, day in and day out.  The Hatfields and McCoys have nothing on the AU - UAT rivalry.

The rivalry with UGA is almost as intense, but not nearly so bitter.  This is the rivalry between two brothers who are close enough to the same age to have always competed with each other.  We've exchanged coaches so many times over the years that our programs are forever entwined, just like the lives of brothers.....  Jordan, Dooley, Dye, Nall, Garner and many others.  The FIRST football game in what is now the SEC was AU -UGA!  That fact will never change.  This is a rivalry of classic games, with dozens just as intense as this years..... the SEC's first overtime game.

Sure, we've had some memorable games with LSU, weird memorable games, but those do not make a rivalry.  I agree with one poster above, LSU's long-time rival is Ole Miss and when Croom gets them competitive again, you LSEwes won't have to desparately seek a rival; they will be there for you!

202961[/snapback]

I don't think Croom will work too hard getting Ole Miss to be competetive :big:

IMHO, after this season, we've got three big rivals...Bama, UGA, and LSU. The fuel for the rivalry to me is LSU winning the NC when they couldn't go undefeated, then us going undefeated and not even having a chance to win the NC. We had a shot at joining the nation's elite back in '03, and LSU beat us to it. I agree with the UF-UT link, in fact I think this is the first time the West has had a matchup to compare with it.

Here's another perspective:

I live with, share a bed and a checking account with, parent a child with, and own a home with my LSU hubby, whom I love and respect very much - all but ONE day a year, for the duration of a four quarter football game. When it's over, the loser kisses the winner, we hold hands and walk out of the stadium together.

Given the depth of feeling each of us has for our team - and he is as passionate about LSU as I am about Auburn, which is A LOT - NONE of the above could ever happen with a bammer fan in my household. We could not co-exist under the same roof without killing one another, the beds would be in separate rooms, the checking account would be mine since he wouldn't have a job, there would be no child since I don't believe in cross-species reproduction, and our home would belong to the local mobile home dealer for 45 years or the first tornado, whichever came first.

In other words, NO FREAKING WAY could I ever live with a man who cared as much about bammer as my hubby cares about LSU. That's comparing apples and rat turds. I know that there are some mixed marriages on this board between Auburn people and bammers, but I would also be willing to bet that one of the two partners cares less about the rivalry than the other, and that makes it okay or at least bearable. But with two people of equal passion... it'll never work. I hate bammer and everything associated with it, and I hate losing to them in anything. I don't hate LSU, and while I hate losing to anyone on general principle, I can get over a loss to LSU in a few hours or so, mainly because my hubby lets me by being a good winner. Same thing with him - he gets over losing to Auburn because I do not pound it into him 24/7/365. A bammer with this same level of delusion about his team would not show the same courtesy to anyone, much less his wife. They have no understanding of the term "good winner".

I agree with Jenny. BEFORE my first date with my Lovelly Bride, after I asked for a date and she accepted, the next question was "Auburn or "uat"?". Had her answer been different, My daughters would have a different Mother. :D

For a "mixed" marraige to work, one of the two must not be as passionate about the sport of Football. My childhood hero was Pistol Pete of lsWHO fame. I do not really have a strong dislike for them, just a few of their so called "fans". As for uat, well, .............................. B)

p.s. Jenny, the line about the ownership of the "uat mobile home" was priceless! :thumbsup:

Here's another perspective:

I live with, share a bed and a checking account with, parent a child with, and own a home with my LSU hubby, whom I love and respect very much - all but ONE day a year, for the duration of a four quarter football game.  When it's over, the loser kisses the winner, we hold hands and walk out of the stadium together.

UH, just out of academic curosity, does the spouse of the winning team pick the location of the "kiss"???    :moon:   Or, is it determined by a coin toss?  :roflol:

A bammer with this same level of delusion about his team would not show the same courtesy to anyone, much less his wife.  They have no understanding of the term "good winner".

Yes, but Bammers make "great whiners"!  :roflol:   :ua:   :roflol:

202987[/snapback]

I don't know exactly WHY lsu doesnt have an sec rival... I guess cause roy kramer decided that lsu and arkansas needed to be rivals and arkansas isnt exactly competitive on a regular basis... and other than that all we have is mississippi next to us...also not competitive...

Back in the days of Paul Dietzel and Johnny Vaught, the big rivalry was LSU - Ole Miss. It was against Ole Miss that Billy Cannon made his famous punt return on Halloween night in 1959. Under Vaught, the Rebels were always contenders. Recall the Archie Manning - led teams. After Vaught left, Ole Miss has been unable to regain the glory, which has taken some of the shine off the rivalry with LSU.

When it's over, the loser kisses the winner, we hold hands and walk out of the stadium together.

UH, just out of academic curosity, does the spouse of the winning team pick the location of the "kiss"???    :moon:    Or, is it determined by a coin toss?  :roflol:

202987[/snapback]

202996[/snapback]

You know, I never gave that much thought... this year in Tiger Stadium, after he had open bar privileges in the new Club Section for the entire game, with Abita on tap, I should certainly have considered telling him to kiss another location besides my lips. On the other hand, he DID have to ASK for the traditional kiss this year... and I am sure he asked because he was seeing at LEAST two of me and he wanted to make sure he wouldn't fall on his ass when he leaned in to kiss the wrong one. He was worse after the game than Tig Major was before the game... :no:

Guest Tigrinum Major
He was worse after the game than Tig Major was before the game... :no:

203025[/snapback]

Hey, hey, heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I have an affinity for Purple Haze and it was fresh since we were close to Abita Springs. Smooooooth.

Jenny, your description of an Alabama fan, er, species was classic. made my day.

I, personally, love the LSU game and it is my 2nd fav. game behind Bama. The first time my entire family went to an Auburn game together was the 94 LSU game. My first game as a student was the 96 barn-burner game. And, my favorite all time game was the 97 game in LSU. But, that's just me. It has become an EXTREMELY important game to each of us. Gotta love it.

Archived