Auburn and the Fiesta Bowl

AUwingsfan

Ok, well first of all I'd just like to say that I doubt we'll get a Fiesta Bowl bid, but still hold out hope that we'll get it. I think it'd be a good thing for the Fiesta Bowl as Auburn does travel well and I don't know if the same could be said about Oregon...I think that Ohio State would travel well, but since they've played in the Fiesta Bowl so many times in the last few years I hope that will be a turnoff to those picking for the bowl. Now I just read on ESPN.com where Ivan Maisel thought the first pick by the Fiesta Bowl would be them probably taking Notre Dame. I think Auburn vs. Notre Dame would be a good game. One of the coolest aspects about it I think would be the fact that Bama fans seem to hate Notre Dame and most probably aren't too fond for Auburn so they'd have to choose between Auburn or Notre Dame, although we'd probably hear the "I wish they could both lose" said a lot. Anyways I think it'd be fun to play a media darling like Notre Dame especially if we get the W and that way we could earn a little more respect heading into the off season. What do you all think?

Well in my opinion Notre Dame does not have any reason to deserve to go the BCS, Notre Dame only beat Stanford 38-31...a team that lost to UC Davis? What division is that 1-FF? The rest of Notre Dame's schedule includes a stomping of a 1-10 syracuse team, wins over BYU, Navy, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Purdue (all 5 schools having no wins over a top 25 team), a nice win over a Tennessee team that even Vandy can beat now, and one solid win over then ranked #3 Michigan which gives them some nice quality points in the bcs equation, i.e. why they're ranked no. 8 in the bcs.

Now, as for Oregon and Ohio State. Its pretty hard for me to justify Oregon going as they haven't beaten a top 15 team yet, although they do only have one loss (a shlacking by USC), meanwhile Ohio State is pretty much in the same boat with Oregon as far as they haven't beaten a top 15 team BUT they almost beat Texas and they almost beat Penn State, now my question is do you think that Oregon would come close to beating those two based on their loss to USC? I really don't think so, also the Big 10 has done pretty well against other conferences this year so in this i think that Ohio State gets the nod.

As per Auburn's case we are the only of the three candiates who has beaten 2 top 10 teams, beating a Georgia team that is underrated right now as they lost the Florida game i think pretty much due to not having Shockley under center.

If you ask me the game should be Auburn vs. Ohio State but i doubt that it will happen, most likely Notre Dame will go against Ohio State in the fiesta bowl leaving us for a capital one bowl matchup against Wisconsin....which I really don't want to play Wisconsin again but it looks as if we'll have no choice. What really irks me about all this though is that West Virginia is going to the BCS and we're not...I swear why we don't have a playoff i still don't know.

an overrated ohio state will play an even more overrated notre dame in a close game that every one will deem a "great one" where auburn or maybe even oregon would smoke either one of em.

NotreDame honestly dosent doserve to go to the BCS Bowl but they obviously are because of all the media attention. Auburn vs. Notre Dame would be a huge game for the media, im suprised they havent already considered that?..............

Id rather be having a fiesta then paying my credit card. (cap one) lol :D

ATLauburnfan

The Fiesta could become the "Neither team deserves it' bowl.....

Here's my note to the Fiesta and their reply.

Thank you, Mr. redfish, for taking the time to conact me, and I apologize for my tardiness in responding. You certainly have good reason to be proud of your Auburn football team with the tremendous season they have had. Please know that we are working hard and taking all factors into consideration in making a credible decision.

Thank you again, sir, for your support of college football and interest in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

Sincerely, John Junker

-----Original Message-----

[mailto:redfish99999@earthlink.net]

Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 5:48 PM

To: John Junker

Subject: Auburn University to Your Bowl

Auburn is a great selection because:

AU always plays well in the post season games

AU fans are well behaved, travel in droves, and are friendly to your city dwellers and opposing fans.

AU fans are well educated, make money and will fill your stadium.

The selection of AU will show the nation that you have made a decision based on good opponents rather than outside influences and political pressure.

Archived