Georgia Rivals: Auburn, Georgia Tech and Florida

DCWarEagle

Okay, so there is a discussion on another thread of why LSU does not have any "real" rivals and how the AU-LSU game is probably as close as they have. That got me wondering who Georgia considers their biggest rival?

I obviously think in-state first, which would be Tech, but I would think the Dawgs have a pretty sizable advantage in terms of all-time wins (not sure, just a hunch), and Tech is not even an SEC team, so it never matter for championships. And of course UGA has had a hard time with the World's Largest Cocktail Party over the past fifteen years. And we are their oldest rival (and probably the one they have played the most often).

So how about it? Which game does :uga: most want to win? Which one hurts the most to lose?

I was stationed at a Reserve Unit in Atlanta, at Dobbins AFB. I asked this question to several of the Marines I drilled with who were UGA fans. Most of them said Tech and one said Auburn. I asked the guy why Auburn, and not Tech, and he told me that it was because Tech wasn't in the SEC.

There is no one answer

Old Timers - GeorgiaTech

Newcomers and/or 80's-90's students/alumni - Florida

People from West Georgia/Alabama - Auburn

Then people like me from Louisiana and family at LSU/Tenn so I want to beat them

I have always thought that Florida was first for them, Tech second and us third..... though considering the number of Auburn people in Georgia and amount that went to Auburn that are from Georgia I could possibly see us slipping ahead of Tech maybe.

Me personally?

1. Florida

2. South Carolina

3. Tennessee

4. Auburn

5. Tech

Nothing against Auburn but I just don't hate you all that much anymore.

We usually can't beat UF - drives me nuts

I hate USC's fans worse then anyone else

Sister went to UT

Tech blows...they just suck so bad I rarely say their name

I grew up and went to high school in metro-atlanta...so i've spent most of my life around uga fans.

The way I would sum it up is...Tech isn't their biggest rival until they lose to them.

Lets put it this way. I think UGA fans ENJOY wins over Florida the most. Possibly followed by Tennessee, and then Auburn, then USC. (Note: Spurrier being at USC could make that game go up in importance to them)

But UGA fans HATE losing to Tech more than any other school. Most of the people i've been around can tolerate a loss to Florida, or Auburn...but they better NOT lose to tech. But they don't enjoy the wins nearly as much as they do one over Florida.

Me personally?

1. Florida

2. South Carolina

3. Tennessee

4. Auburn

5. Tech

Sister went to UT

203010[/snapback]

Interesting. I never would have guessed that Tech would be number five on a :uga: fan's list. And I didn't realize USC mattered at all.

I think it is funny that you almost apologized for not hating us.

BTW, that feeling is mutual, I have stated several times that UGA is my second favorite SEC team, and I think a lot of Auburn fans feel the same way. I enjoy the rivalry w/ y'all b/c both sides seem to usually have a decent amount of respect, there are many ties between the schools, etc. Plus it does not feel as bad when we lose to y'all as to some others. Don't get me wrong, any :au: loss sucks, but nothing is as bad as those (increasingly rare) times when we lose to Bama. Although I'm starting to forget what that feels like. :big:

Me personally?

1. Florida

2. South Carolina

3. Tennessee

4. Auburn

5. Tech

Sister went to UT

203010[/snapback]

Interesting. I never would have guessed that Tech would be number five on a :uga: fan's list. And I didn't realize USC mattered at all.

BTW, that feeling is mutual, I have stated several times that UGA is my second favorite SEC team, and I think a lot of Auburn fans feel the same way. I enjoy the rivalry w/ y'all b/c both sides seem to usually have a decent amount of respect, there are many ties between the schools, etc. Plus it does not feel as bad when we lose to y'all as to some others. Don't get me wrong, any :au: loss sucks, but nothing is as bad as those (increasingly rare) times when we lose to Bama. Although I'm starting to forget what that feels like. :big:

203014[/snapback]

Keep in mind, Slink is from Louisiana. I doubt you'd find a native Georgian who would put Tech that low.

Same with the Auburn-Alabama rivalry, don't get me wrong, i hate them and want to beat them bad every year. But I don't have ANYWHERE NEAR the hatred that some native Alabamians have towards them.

In-state rivalries just have a different feel if you are from the state.

Interesting.  I never would have guessed that Tech would be number five on a  :uga:   fan's list.  And I didn't realize USC mattered at all. 

Remember, I am from Louisiana, not Georgia. Until I went to UGA in 2001, I had zero knowledge about anything UGA.

So, I am a bit out of the normal UGA loop.

As for South Carolina, their fans are douchbags, imo.

I have said this before....when I went to UGA in 2001...I hated Auburn. I grew up going to LSU games with my family all the time and I just grew up hating you all. Then I went to UGA and really had no problem with you all at all.

I think you can ask aucorner and others on SECF during my early years on there...I smacked on AU pretty hard.

There is no one answer

Old Timers - GeorgiaTech

Newcomers and/or 80's-90's students/alumni - Florida

People from West Georgia/Alabama - Auburn

Then people like me from Louisiana and family at LSU/Tenn so I want to beat them

203008[/snapback]

Yes, I think it's probably varied over the years.

Back in the days when Tech was in the SEC, and winning its share in the SEC, the in-state rivalry probably meant a lot more. Tech is now longer in the conference and not often as competitive these days.

The Cocktail Party has come on more because it has determined the SEC East champ so often. Even in those years when Tennesee won the East, it was often because their closest challenger was eliminated by the UGA/FL game.

Auburn/UGA is of course the oldest series in the south.

And Southlink: I don't think "hatred' is a necessary component of a good rivalry. I have a lot of repect for Georgia-they're probably my 2nd favorite SEC team. But there are two kinds of rivalries--those where you despise the other team (eg, Auburn/Alabama), and those where you respect and admire the other team (Auburn/UGA for me).

It's been mentioned before, but I think LSU & Florida should work to develop a deeper rivalry. The other traditional powers in the conference have permanent cross-division rivals (UAT/TN & AU/UGA), and LSU/FL is the obvious symmetry to those. Plus they share that gator/swamp/bayou thing.

I'm a little suprised that no one mentioned Clemson at all. They are probably the closest team to UGA, even closer than GT (in miles). From reading Lewis Grizzard, I got the impression that UGA hated Clemson pretty badly. Maybe they are just a subject of contempt?

Me personally?

203010[/snapback]

You're 2-5 against AU in the last 7, so shouldn't we be in the same category?

You're 2-5 against AU in the last 7

:rolleyes:

When you beat us 14 of 15 years then I will put AU into that catagory.

2-2 the last 4 years isn't beating us all the time.

You're 2-5 against AU in the last 7

:rolleyes:

When you beat us 14 of 15 years then I will put AU into that catagory.

2-2 the last 4 years isn't beating us all the time.

203053[/snapback]

Getting beat 14 out of 15 years by a team is flat-out embarrasing. Getting beat 5 out of the last 7 is getting beat all the time.

Getting beat 14 out of 15 years by a team is flat-out embarrasing.

Getting beat 8 out of the last 9 times is not really much better

Getting beat 5 out of the last 7 is getting beat all the time.

Ah damn, so I guess our wins in 2002 and 2003 got invalidated somehow. Auburn and UGA are 8-6-1 in the last 15 years. If your dillusional mind wants to think that is "all the time"...well, not much else I can do.

Living here in Ga too..........

and From the GA fans I talk to at work......ITS FLORIDA one......TECH two........and the Cousins Last.....AUBURN.....yes auburn and ga are more like cousins fighting in the back yard.

AU and GA parallel too much to hate each other...Dooley an AU man DYE GA man etc... Just a fun Game to Win...but not so bad if we loose cause we know that next game will be is a must win....BEAT BAMA

Living here in Ga too..........

and From the GA fans I talk to at work......ITS FLORIDA one......TECH two........and the Cousins Last.....AUBURN.....yes auburn and ga are more like cousins fighting in the back yard.

AU and GA parallel too much to hate each other...Dooley an AU man DYE GA man etc... Just a fun Game to Win...but not so bad if we loose cause we know that next game will be is a must win....BEAT BAMA

203068[/snapback]

Oh yeah! I forgot about all the coach/player tie-ins. It is almost like we're family. And as for as overall records. I think the 2-point total scoring difference over 100+ yrs says it all: We're basically tied over history with neither side having long-term bragging rights.

Archived