Why did LSU have such a hard time with UGA?

bigsixfive

Before the game, I thought UGA/LSU/AU were very evenly matched teams, and on any given Saturday a game between two of us could go either way. However, tonight obviously proved me very wrong.

UGA owned LSU.

UGA's offense was impressive, but their field position made it much easier to throw up the score they did. So now I'm wondering why LSU had such a hard time with the UGA defense. We seemed to do ok.

From what I saw, I believe our OL is a few steps beyond LSU's OL. That massive front 4 from UGA was always disrupting them, especially on run plays. That poor #75 must not have eaten his wheaties this morning because he couldn't have blocked a flailing Richard Simmons tonight. I thought JR did a great job of keeping the offense's composure (Miles wasn't doing too hot), but UGA's DL proved to be too much for LSU's OL to handle.

What were the other deficiencies or bad bounces that did LSU in?

The only other I can think of is UGA just plain had good fortune. LSU has had it go their way most of the season (12 missed field goals agaisnt them, or something crazy like that), and it just didn't happen tonight. I don't buy that "poor LSU is worn out after 11 straight weeks" excuse the announcer gave. I don't care how long you've been playing, you get up for big games against teams like UGA, and you get up for the SEC Championship game. LSU did just that, but UGA had their number tonight.

I hope both teams retain a high ranking, because both deserve a top 10 ranking. Heck, if us 3 could play all the other teams right now, I can see all of us being in the top 5. But maybe I'm biased... :lol:

These are good questions I think. I kept thinking to myself tonight..."What if Auburn was playing LSU? Would we be owning them like this too?"

All I can say is that I can't wait for next year. This game has really got me fired up for us next year!

Before the game, I thought UGA/LSU/AU were very evenly matched teams, and on any given Saturday a game between two of us could go either way.  However, tonight obviously proved me very wrong. 

UGA owned LSU. 

UGA's offense was impressive, but their field position made it much easier to throw up the score they did.  So now I'm wondering why LSU had such a hard time with the UGA defense.  We seemed to do ok. 

From what I saw, I believe our OL is a few steps beyond LSU's OL.  That massive front 4 from UGA was always disrupting them, especially on run plays.  That poor #75 must not have eaten his wheaties this morning because he couldn't have blocked a flailing Richard Simmons tonight.  I thought JR did a great job of keeping the offense's composure (Miles wasn't doing too hot), but UGA's DL proved to be too much for LSU's OL to handle. 

What were the other deficiencies or bad bounces that did LSU in? 

The only other I can think of is UGA just plain had good fortune.  LSU has had it go their way most of the season (12 missed field goals agaisnt them, or something crazy like that), and it just didn't happen tonight.  I don't buy that "poor LSU is worn out after 11 straight weeks" excuse the announcer gave.  I don't care how long you've been playing, you get up for big games against teams like UGA, and you get up for the SEC Championship game.  LSU did just that, but UGA had their number tonight.

I hope both teams retain a high ranking, because both deserve a top 10 ranking.  Heck, if us 3 could play all the other teams right now, I can see all of us being in the top 5.  But maybe I'm biased...  :lol:

203260[/snapback]

Georgia's DL beat the hell out of our OL. Our running game is nonexistent at this point in the season. Auburn and Georgia are the two top SEC programs at this point in time. I wish you guys and Georgia the best of luck in your bowl games. At this phase of the season I am an SEC fan! Look forward to next year and hope you guys stay healthy till next season. I've talked some smack on this board this season and I hope no one took it personally. We are all just one big dysfunctional SEC family, but are family nonetheless! Come give us hell on TigerDroppings whenever you feel like it. I know we rag on you guys and you rag on us, but that is what makes SEC football the greatest spectacle in sports! Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and WarDamnEagle to all the AuburnNation! :lsu:

DJS aired it out twice early and connected for TD's on both tries. 14-0 early is not something that the LSU team is used to dealing with. They've been playing in close games all season and are used to having the ball bounce their way. When it didn't happen early, the mental toughness came into question.

Fellas, I think we can cut LSU some slack here. Not here to make excuses for them but I agree with the announcers take on 11 straight games taking it's toll.

11 straight games is a long, long time with no off weeks, plus we had a major holiday last weekend that probably isn't too joyful for most of lousiana & mississippi. Believe it or not I'm sure it took an emotional toll on some of LSU's players. They didn't even get to enjoy turkey day.

Hats off to UGA. They showed up, looked sharp from the start & meant business. Don't forget(obviously UGA didn't) how LSU dominated them 2 years ago in this game. UGA lollygagged through last weekend's game against GT but put the effort into the game that counted for them last night.

LSU will rebound with a month off, heal some key players, & beat up on somebody in their bowl game.

I just hope AU doesn't lose it's rythm after all this time off. Historically we have trouble after open weeks or long periods of time off, especially with no real motivation in this year's bowl game.

Plain and simple, LSU was just outcoached. Whoever put the defensive scheme in for GA did a great job. They were ready for everthing LSU did and the GA defensive front just dominated the LSU O-line from start to finish. That was no contest. I is really hard to believe that with all LSU had been through this year that they wouldn't show up for the "championship" game.

I had a feeling uga was going to win this one.

Shockley has really come around this year. They have pretty good receivers and three good running backs. I felt fortunate to pull that one out in Athens. I felt like we played better than lsu when we lost to them in br. We could take them both at home but it's 50-50 on the road.

Looks like AU, lsu, and uga were the three creams of the crop this year in the SEC.

Congrats to UGA on winning the SECC.

Archived