AUBURN vs. Wisconsin

Tigermike

If I remember correctly, when AU played Wisconsin in the Music City Bowl two years ago, Reggie Torbor and Karlos Dansby had a great day sacking the Badger quarterback. Do you think our crop of DE's, Browder, Groves, Gunn and McClover, will match or exceed the sacks in the previous game?

I think the speed of the AU DE's will cause problems for the Wisconsin OL.

Is there any way the AU front four can look as good against Wisconsin as they did against Bama?

:cheer::au::au::cheer:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's really tough for me to say.. i didn't watch wisconsin all year long and really didn't care to. Now that we are having to play them AGAIN I've tried to read up on them a little bit but from everything I'm seeing, Auburn should soundly beat the badgers..only exception being if the badgers play lights out football for 60 minutes for the last game for the head coach... Otherwise... it will be another celebration and another top 5 finish for the boys in blue!! 2006 is looking to be another great year for the tigers!!

My biggest concern is that AU will be a huge favorite which makes me uncomfortable as to how we will respond in this role. I prefer slight favorite or even underdog.

WAR EAGLE!!!

Just from looking at each team's stats for the year I don't believe the DE's will even come close to the day they had with the annual Mullet toss. Wisconsin has a very good offense that runs the ball very effectively. Their problem is their defense. I believe they are #101 in the nation in total defense which could be very promising for BC, KI and company.

I believe this game will be somewhat like the Georgia game, except Auburn pulls away late - something like 38-28.

Even as a favorite, we have something to prove, that ND didn't deserve our spot in the BCS. I think the team will use that as fuel without verbalizing it publicly. They seem to have respect for Wisconsin and do relaize that the Capital One bowl is a very good post season destination.

Of course there might be a few teams using the ND motivator this year. Oregon for one.

I will predict a 2-3 touchdown loss for Auburn, close throughout the first half. These factors apply:

1. UW had a heartache loss to AU in the Music City Bowl. UW is out for revenge. They hold grudges for years. AU had a much different team 2 years ago.

2. Barry Alvarez's last game as a UW head coach. The team will be playing to look for blood on his behalf. They will playing with a level of intensity they have been mising all year.

3. AU lacks the offense that can stand up against the UW defense. I predict AU will come out strong but as the game goes on UW defense will wear the AU offense and drain them phsically. An offensive breakdown will start about midway through the 3rd quarter.

4. Stocco is going to literally pick apart AU's secondary. Just when they commit to to pass, Calhoun is going to slam it down AU's throat...repeat.

I will predict a 2-3 touchdown loss for Auburn, close throughout the first half.  These factors apply:

1.  UW had a heartache loss to AU in the Music City Bowl.  UW is out for revenge.  They hold grudges for years.  AU had a much different team 2 years ago.

2.  Alverez's last game as a UW head coach.  The team will be playing to look for blood on his behalf.  They will playing with a level of intensity they have been mising all year.

3.  AU lacks the offense that can stand up against the UW defense.   I predict AU will come out strong but as the game goes on UW defense will wear the AU offense and drain them phsically.  An offensive breakdown will start about midway through the 3rd quarter.

4.  Stocco is going to literally pick apart AU's secondary.   Just when they commit to to pass, Calhoun is going to slam it down AU's throat...repeat.

203632[/snapback]

Welcome back snake...

Anyways, gonna REALLY have to disagree with your points. No matter if UW had a "heartache loss" to AU....there is no way that these players will have some type of barbaric grudge. That was a couple of years ago.

Second, Auburn has the #1 offense in the SEC. Your talking about a great football conference that boasts top ten defenses every year. Being #1 in offense in that conference is a hard feat.

Your defense is ranked very low, someone even mentioned 101st. We put 21 points on one of the top 3 defenses in the nation just a couple of weeks ago (and that was just in the first 9 minutes of the game). Auburn is very hot right now.

Our defense is great....they are coming off an 11 sack game against a top ten Alabama opponent.

Whereas Wisconsin may have an offense, Auburn has got the complete package.

My predictions are fairly close usually:

28-13 :au:

And Bowling Green scored how many points against that solid Badger defense..... 42

How about that Wisconsin defense in the Northwestern game... 51

How about these stats--

Yards Per Game: WISC 397.8, AUB 438.9

Points Per Game: WISC 35.2, AUB 34.2

Yards Allowed: WISC 439.8, AUB 307.6

Points Allowed: WISC 24.9, AUB 14.7

I don't think revenge or Barry Alvarez's retirement will matter a damn when Stocco is lying on his back looking up at Gunn, McClover, Williams, or Groves.

The only team with a defense comparable to Auburn's that Wisconsin faced was Penn State, and the Badgers lost that game 35-14. I predict a similar outcome in the Capital One Bowl: Auburn 31 Wisconsin 13

Sorry Snake...AU has the NUMERO UNO offense in a league dominated by defense, as pointed out by my AU brethren...as well as the SEC's leading rusher in Kenny Irons.... Just don't see your D handling all of that.

:au::homer:

I will predict a 2-3 touchdown loss for Auburn, close throughout the first half.  These factors apply:

1.  UW had a heartache loss to AU in the Music City Bowl.  UW is out for revenge.  They hold grudges for years.  AU had a much different team 2 years ago.

2.  Alverez's last game as a UW head coach.  The team will be playing to look for blood on his behalf.  They will playing with a level of intensity they have been mising all year.

3.  AU lacks the offense that can stand up against the UW defense.   I predict AU will come out strong but as the game goes on UW defense will wear the AU offense and drain them phsically.  An offensive breakdown will start about midway through the 3rd quarter.

4.  Stocco is going to literally pick apart AU's secondary.   Just when they commit to to pass, Calhoun is going to slam it down AU's throat...repeat.

203632[/snapback]

Welcome back snake...

Anyways, gonna REALLY have to disagree with your points. No matter if UW had a "heartache loss" to AU....there is no way that these players will have some type of barbaric grudge. That was a couple of years ago.

Second, Auburn has the #1 offense in the SEC. Your talking about a great football conference that boasts top ten defenses every year. Being #1 in offense in that conference is a hard feat.

Your defense is ranked very low, someone even mentioned 101st. We put 21 points on one of the top 3 defenses in the nation just a couple of weeks ago (and that was just in the first 9 minutes of the game). Auburn is very hot right now.

Our defense is great....they are coming off an 11 sack game against a top ten Alabama opponent.

Whereas Wisconsin may have an offense, Auburn has got the complete package.

My predictions are fairly close usually:

28-13 :au:

203637[/snapback]

Thanks for the welcome....

UW is ranked 13 in total offense and 45 in defense in NCAA. 4th in BIG 10 for defense, 3rd offense. All far cries from 101. It will be a hell of a game.

Wisconsin has a very good offense that runs the ball very effectively.

203626[/snapback]

In their 5 games against winning opponents, the Badgers averaged 93.6 yards per game rushing even though those 5 opponents were allowing 145.5 yards rushing per game ( -52 yards )

In contrast, Auburn's running game averaged 153.8 yards against our 5 winning opponents even though our opponents had given up 116.4 per game ( +38 yards ).

I knew I was going to get beat up on that post. Just wanted to put my personal 2 cents in. You can't really compare stats on two teams from 2 different conferences with totally different opponents. You can compare numbers all you want, they are not really relevant in the big picture.

3.  AU lacks the offense that can stand up against the UW defense.  I predict AU will come out strong but as the game goes on UW defense will wear the AU offense and drain them phsically.  An offensive breakdown will start about midway through the 3rd quarter.

4.  Stocco is going to literally pick apart AU's secondary.  Just when they commit to to pass, Calhoun is going to slam it down AU's throat...repeat.

203632[/snapback]

The only way that Wisconsin will beat AUBURN by 2-3 touchdowns will be if Auburn gets on the wrong bus and ends up in Tampa instead of Orlando.

Alverez's last game as a UW head coach. The team will be playing to look for blood on his behalf. They will playing with a level of intensity they have been mising all year.

They had the same motivation against Iowa and laid an egg. They failed to win his last game at Camp Randall Stadium.

As far as the Wisconsin defense,

Bowling Green scored 42

Michigan scored 20

Indiana scored 24

Northwestern scored 51

Minnesota scored 34

Purdue scored 20

Illinois scored 24

Penn State scored 35

Iowa scored 20

Hawaii 24

That defense does not put fear and intimidation in the hearts of opponents.

Yankee Snake....welcome to WEN, home of some of the best alumni/fans from the rolling plains of Dixie :cheer:

What was the name of the Wisconsin RB stud who was supposed to run all over Auburn two years ago and flopped?

Thanks for the welcome....

UW is ranked 13 in total offense and 45 in defense in NCAA.  4th in BIG 10 for defense, 3rd offense.  All far cries from 101.  It will be a hell of a game.

203644[/snapback]

Well, dont want to throw more numbers at ya....seems like alot are already joining in :big:

But according to the NCAA link your total defense is 100th in the nation compared to Auburn's 9th ranking.

Your total offense is #52 link in the nation compared to Auburn's #27 ranking.

Yankee Snake....welcome to WEN, home of some of the best alumni/fans from the rolling plains of Dixie :cheer:

What was the name of the Wisconsin RB stud who was supposed to run all over Auburn two years ago and flopped?

203657[/snapback]

Tell me with 100% honesty. Ranked #31 in defense Mississippi St. Is that accurate?

Dont know the specific stats on Davis rushing efforts in the music city bowl, but its hard to overshadow the rushing game of :au: 2 years ago.

203632[/snapback]

I'll give you that as an intangable that may keep WI fired up for the first couple of mins, but I see that fading fast.

YS, before you offend the entire AUnation, I'll go ahead and say that I know you quite well, and although you may support an inferior team, you do know alot about Burt Reynolds, which is nice.

You and your brother should plan on coming to Mobile to watch the game, I'll buy you a couple sympathy shots of Jager to ease the pain.

Auburn 28 WI 3, CTT takes it easy on your Coach and doesen't beat him too bad for his last game.

203657[/snapback]

Tell me with 100% honesty. Ranked #31 in defense Mississippi St. Is that accurate?

Dont know the specific stats on Davis rushing efforts in the music city bowl, but its hard to overshadow the rushing game of :au: 2 years ago.

203659[/snapback]

Sorry I don't understand your comment about Miss. St. defense.

I wasn't being sarcastic about the guy's name (Davis). I just remember how he mouthed off about he was so much better than either of Auburn's RBs.

I would comment that I don't see a strong running game reflected in UW's statistics for the year. The avg. yards/rush is only 3.7, hardly intimidating.

And against the strongest defense you went against (Penn. St.) you had minus 11 yards?

Yes, Big John and I will be taking that drive to Mobile, Alabama to watch the game. Dressed in red and white we will ride into mobile banners waving. I could make some very distasteful references towards the civil war and the battle of Mobile Bay, but I will hold back and save that for another thread.

:no: Burt Reynolds :no:

He hurts my brain.

Yes, Big John and I will be taking that drive to Mobile, Alabama to watch the game.  Dressed in red and white we will ride into mobile banners waving.  I could make some very distasteful references towards the civil war and the battle of Mobile Bay, but I will hold back and save that for another thread.

:no:   Burt Reynolds  :no:

He hurts my brain.

203678[/snapback]

You mean "The great War of Northern Agression", don't you son? And by the way, you yankees took the Bay, but did not take the city of Mobile! B) WAR EAGLE!!!

:au::homer:

You can't really compare stats on two teams from 2 different conferences with totally different opponents.  You can compare numbers all you want, they are not really relevant in the big picture.

203653[/snapback]

It all depends on what numbers you are looking at and how you make the comparison. Nothing is a given but looking at the right numbers can be consistent.

Yes, Big John and I will be taking that drive to Mobile, Alabama to watch the game.  Dressed in red and white we will ride into mobile banners waving.  I could make some very distasteful references towards the civil war and the battle of Mobile Bay, but I will hold back and save that for another thread.

:no:   Burt Reynolds  :no:

He hurts my brain.

203678[/snapback]

Red and white...please, last time I saw your brother he had on an :au: hat, and keep your mouth shut about the Civil War, after a few drinks I had your bro convinced the North lost.

Interesting thread, Burt Reynolds, the Civil War, Jager shots :blink: Im sure that all of these are combined with Auburn football somehow? :P

Archived