USC and the NCAA?

DKW 86

Improper Recruiting by former USC Linebacker

NCAA looking into USC recruiting violation 

Dec. 31, 2005

By Dennis Dodd

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

LOS ANGELES -- USC may have committed NCAA violations by allowing a well-known area restaurateur to give what could be construed as recruiting pitches to prospects, CBS SportsLine.com has learned.

John Papadakis, a former USC linebacker, routinely hosts recruiting dinners at his Greek restaurant in nearby San Pedro, Calif. The flamboyant Papadakis and his staff entertain recruits, coaches and other patrons during the dinners.

What might be against NCAA rules is if Papadakis urged recruits to attend USC during the course of the evening.

"I'd have a huge problem with that," said one veteran Division I compliance director.

The USC compliance office was alerted on Tuesday after the Fort Worth Star-Telegram questioned whether infractions had been committed. There was no official comment from the school. Spokesman Tim Tessalone said the school will be closed through Wednesday's Rose Bowl. No NCAA source could be contacted for comment. The NCAA offices are closed through Thursday.

"This is one of those issues that we have to address and deal with," USC coach Pete Carroll said Saturday. "It's something that kind of comes in normal fashion. We have a whole procedure to handle it the right way."

This week in a story on the Papadakis' influence on USC recruiting, SportsLine.com quoted a friend who has witnessed the recruiting dinners at Papadakis Taverna.

"He's (Papadakis) a great speechmaker," said Steve Morton of Rancho Mirage, Calif., who was interviewed in the restaurant earlier this month. "By the end of the evening, he gets these kids to stand up and say, 'I want to be a Trojan.'"

"John gets emotional because he's passionate about Pete," USC recruiting coordinator Lane Kiffin told SportsLine.com earlier this month. "He's representing our Trojan family and is so happy.

"John is talking to everybody, all the time," Carroll said. "That's the way he handles his business. He's got a marvelous spirit."

However, Papadakis' conduct might violate the NCAA's bylaws defining "permissible recruiters."

According to bylaw 13.1.2.3, "In all sports only those coaches permitted to recruit off campus ... may contact prospects off campus."

"A booster, alumni or player having any contact with a prospective student-athlete is against the rules," the compliance director said. "The only people that are allowed to recruit, especially in football, are the ones that have passed the (NCAA) recruiting exam."

Papadakis, 54, a community activist who is regularly seen on the USC sideline, could not comment.

"I can't comment on it," Papadakis said, "if you'd like I can refer you to USC."

The recruiting dinners are well-documented, well known and have been going on for years. A typical night for Taverna diners includes a belly dancer, an 80-something violinist taking requests and staff members doing traditional Greek dances.

"It's an experience that no one else has," said USC defensive end Frostee Rucker. "It's really good to go out to his restaurant. He's very loving. He just lets you know how the whole (Trojan) family is here.

"We are in L.A., we have access to a lot of different things that a lot of people don't have. It's working out for us. We keep getting those five-star athletes."

Archived