The Big O Strikes Again

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

Ex-Hurricanes Headed to Oxford??

OXFORD, Miss. -- Mississippi head football coach Ed Orgeron has met with former Miami offensive coordinator Dan Werner and assistant head/offensive line coach Art Kehoe in his search to fill two positions on the Rebels' staff.

Werner and Kehoe were both fired by Miami coach Larry Coker on Monday. Both confirmed to The Clarion-Ledger newspaper of Jackson that they had talked to Orgeron.

Neither would confirm they have been offered positions at Ole Miss, but said they will meet with Orgeron at the American Football Coaches Association convention next week in Dallas.

``He and I are going to talk about it and see if it fits,'' said Werner, who spent two seasons at Miami. ``I've had a lot of friends throughout the years that have worked at Ole Miss and I've heard a couple different things about it.''

Orgeron knows Werner and Kehoe from having worked on the Miami staff as a graduate assistant in 1988 and defensive line coach from 1989-1992. Werner was a graduate assistant with Orgeron in 1988 and a volunteer assistant in 1989. Kehoe, who also played at Miami, had been part of the program for 27 seasons and has five national championship rings.

On Tuesday, Kehoe reportedly was contacted by Orgeron within hours of his firing and offered the offensive line job at Ole Miss.

``I don't know if I can elaborate on that,'' Kehoe said Tuesday. ``I don't know what Ed's plans are with his coaching staff and I don't know if I'd be stepping out of line if I told somebody his plans.''

Kehoe told The Clarion-Ledger he would be ``very interested'' in joining Orgeron's staff.

Orgeron is trying to fill spots vacated by offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone, who was fired, and tight ends coach Matt Luke and offensive line coach George DeLeone, who left for other schools.

When contacted Tuesday, Orgeron would not comment on his coaching search.

Feel free to opine.

Ex-Hurricanes Headed to Oxford??

Feel free to opine.

208793[/snapback]

I saw that while ago. They will definately be a step up from what OM is used to. The team was pretty shoddy the last 2 games of the year, but I didn't see any reason to let them go. Does this mean OM gets to refer to their school now as "The O" while making silly hand gestures?

Everyone has been calling Orgeron a crazy man, either he is mad scientist or a genius.... only time will tell.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Kehoe to Ole Miss

Interesting side note. Kehoe was the recruiter in charge of this area at Miami and was recruiting Andre Smith.

Not that Smith would ever consider Ole Miss, but wouldn't that be a hoot, not to mention a holler?

Archived