Playoff...

WaDE'05

Now that the season is over and the BCS is still fresh on everyone's mind, I'd like to here everyone's proposal for how a college footbal playoff would work. I think everyone, especially after last year has come up with their own idea of how they would do it. I was just curious as to how people on this board would draw it up. Btw, here is my idea:

Keep in my this is in a perfect world...

First of all, Notre dame steps down off of it's high horse and joins the Big East (Lord knows they'd never join the Big 10), then the big east takes another three teams, a perenial MAC favorite like Toledo or Marshall and a coulple of good C-USA teams, like So. Miss, UCF (assuming they ARE on the up and up) or Memphisor maybe even independent Navy. This would give the Big East 12 teams and a CCG. The Big 10 takes the MAC team that the Big East doesn't. And 2 teams join the Pac 10 forcing the same situation (more than likely Fresno State and BYU). So now there are 6 major conferences each with their own CCG. Cut the regular season to no more than 11 games. The playoff is a 12 team bracket much like the NFL, with the confrence champs getting automatic bids. One bid going to the highest ranked mid major team (to help promote parody and keep them form whining) the other 5 are at large bids going to the highest ranked BCS teams. Teams are seeded according to BCS Rankings with the top 4 getting first round byes. Playoffs run from the week before Christmas to the week after New Years. Play all games at the highest seeds home field until the quarter and semifinals which are played at the Cotton, Citrus Sugar, Fiesta, Orange and Rose Bowls (would love to see all the current bowls retain hosting, but travel would be a nightmare) . Have the NC game played at a rotating Host city, much like the superbowl and the NCAA Final Four.

That's my idea. I'm sure there are some logistical concerns with it. Feel free to bring them to light. What's your fantasy plan??

I agree about your ND joining a damn conference and forcing the 6 major conference to have 2 6-team Divisions. If you aren't in a major conference you can't go to the playoffs. No big deal, does a mid-major REALLY have a shot at an NC anyway? You now have 6 conference champs. Add two more at-larges from the BCS.'

11 game regular Season

1 Conference Champ game

1st round

2nd round

final

= At most 15 games

This year the list would be:

Texas (Big XII)

USC (Pac-10)

UGA (SEC)

Penn St. (Big 10)

FSU (ACC)

West. Virg (Big East)

Ohio St. (at large)

Oregon (at large)

First round is at the higher BCS ranked team's home

FSU @ USC

West Va. @ Texas.

UGA @ Penn st.

Oregon @ Ohio st.

Second Round is in a Mid Bowl...Seeds stay and high plays Low

Sun Bowl

USC vs. Ohio St.

Other normally lame bowl

Texas vs. UGA

Winner in the National Championship game in the Fiesta/Orange/Sugar/Rose

USC vs. Texas

Other bowls fill yourself with teams that weren't in the playoffs. NC game rotates. other 3 BCS bowls get first crack at the non-playoff teams (Auburn-ND, LSU-Miami, VT-Bama) Are those games really that far off from FSU- Penn St. or West Va.- UGA? There you have it...

Two scenarios.

1. Use the current ranking system and let the top 8 teams at the end, play it off. Teams 3,4,5 & 6 can usually make some claim to deserve a shot. When you start getting to #9, you can't say it with a straight face. I ain't got time to figure out a plan for which bowls to use. :P

2. Require all teams to affiliate with a conference and make them have a method for determining an outright champion. Then simply set up a bracket with all the conference champions to form your playoff.

One of my big gripes has always been that the NCAA requires schools to meet certain standards before they can compete at the D-1 level. But, all of our current and past systems in football basically tell half or more of the teams that we don't care if you go 12-0 and win every game by 70 points, you ain't playin' for the championship.

Oh yea, and start the bowls/playoffs EARLIER.

I would have 16 teams in my playoff.

ACC Champ

SEC Champ

Big 10 Champ

Big 12 Champ

Pac 10 Champ

Big East Champ

CUSA Champ

Mountain West Champ

WAC Champ

MAC Champ

Sun Belt Champ

At-Large

At-Large

At-Large

At-Large

At-Large

BCS conference champ would have a home game first round.

2 At-Larges would have a home game.

CUSA, Mountain West, WAC, MAC, and Sun Belt can't have a home game unless finish in the BCS Top 5.

This year would be like this:

16) Arkansas State (Sun Belt)

1) Southern Cal (Pac-10)

10) Virginia Tech (At-Large)

7) Ohio State (At-Large)

12) TCU (Mountain West)

5) West Virginia (Big East)

13) Boise State (WAC)

4) Georgia (SEC)

-------------------------------------------

14) Tulsa (CUSA)

3) Penn State (Big 10)

11) Auburn (At-Large)

6) Florida State (ACC)

9) Notre Dame (At-Large)

8) LSU (At-Large)

15) N. Illinios (MAC)

2) Texas (Big 12)

Now that the season is over and the BCS is still fresh on everyone's mind, I'd like to here everyone's proposal for how a college footbal playoff would work.  I think everyone, especially after last year has come up with their own idea of how they would do it.  I was just curious as to how people on this board would draw it up.  Btw, here is my idea:

Keep in my this is in a perfect world...

First of all, Notre dame steps down off of it's high horse and joins the Big East (Lord knows they'd never join the Big 10), then the big east takes another three teams, a perenial MAC favorite like Toledo or Marshall and a coulple of good C-USA teams,  like So. Miss, UCF (assuming they ARE on the up and up) or Memphisor maybe even independent Navy.  This would give the Big East 12 teams and a CCG. The Big 10 takes the MAC team that the Big East doesn't.  And 2 teams join the Pac 10 forcing the same situation (more than likely Fresno State and BYU).  So now there are 6 major conferences each with their own CCG.  Cut the regular season to no more than 11 games.  The playoff is a 12 team bracket much like the NFL, with the confrence champs getting automatic bids.  One bid going to the highest ranked mid major team (to help promote parody and keep them form whining)  the other 5 are at large bids going to the highest ranked BCS teams.  Teams are seeded according to BCS Rankings with the top 4 getting first round byes.  Playoffs run from the week before Christmas to the week after New Years.  Play all games at the highest seeds home field until the quarter and semifinals which are played at the Cotton, Citrus Sugar, Fiesta, Orange and Rose Bowls (would love to see all the current bowls retain hosting, but travel would be a nightmare) .  Have the NC game played at a rotating Host city, much like the superbowl and the NCAA Final Four.

That's my idea.  I'm sure there are some logistical concerns with it.  Feel free to bring them to light.  What's your fantasy plan??

210968[/snapback]

I like your idea of the major 6 conferences all aligned with 12 schools, bid to highest ranking mid major (or 2, if applicable), but I would make it a 16 team playoff, allowing the first couple of rounds be played at regular bowl locations...Capital One, Music City, Independence, b/c let's face it this sytem is $$$ driven and this would continue to give these cities and others the revenues they signed up for. I agree with then having the quarters and semis at those locations, and then the MNC at anther location. It would be a huge undertaking, but I think would bring a level playing field. I think the likes of a #16 getting a shot at the #1 team in a playoff are exciting especially if that #16 is the likes of a strong mid-major or a #2 or #3 from from a major conference.

BUT...the BCS computer rankings need to go OR at least add in a computer ranking that is SEC/ACC slanted so it balances out!!! The way it is now the SEC and ACC are boot strapped by these computer morons. Obviously they can input what they want to get the output they desire, like 7 Big 10 teams in his top 25. I think the NCAA should be the one to rank the SOS, they seemed to have it pegged better than those others. This how the playoffs would have looked utilizing the final AP poll rankings. These game would be awesome...AU/LSU rematch!!! ND/Va Tech...Catholics v. Convicts resurrection!! Oregon v. West Va. Come on you would have to love this...

#1 USC vs #16 Florida

#2 Texas vs. #15 Louisville

#3 Penn State vs. #14 TCU

#4 Ohio St vs. #13 Alabama

#5 Notre Dame vs. #12 Virginia Tech

#6 Oregon vs. #11 West Virginia

#7 Auburn vs. #10 LSU

#8 Georgia vs. #9 Miami

Guest Tigrinum Major
allowing the first couple of rounds be played at regular bowl locations...Capital One, Music City, Independence, b/c let's face it this sytem is $$$ driven and this would continue to give these cities and others the revenues they signed up for.

211010[/snapback]

That part would never work. Too many logistic concerns to be handled within a week timeframe. Also, fans from USC and Oklahoma will not travel to Florida for successive weekends.

Playoffs will have to be played on a home basis for the higher seed, with the championship game at a neutral site.

I agree about your ND joining a damn conference and forcing the 6 major conference to have 2 6-team Divisions.  If you aren't in a major conference you can't go to the playoffs. No big deal, does a mid-major REALLY have a shot at an NC anyway? You now have 6 conference champs. Add two more at-larges from the BCS.'

11 game regular Season

1 Conference Champ game

1st round

2nd round

final

= At most 15 games.......

First round is at the higher BCS ranked team's home

FSU @ USC

West Va. @ Texas.

UGA @ Penn st.

Oregon @ Ohio st.

Second Round is in a Mid Bowl...Seeds stay and high plays Low

Other bowls fill yourself with teams that weren't in the playoffs. NC game rotates. other 3 BCS bowls get first crack at the non-playoff teams (Auburn-ND, LSU-Miami, VT-Bama) Are those games really that far off from FSU- Penn St. or West Va.- UGA? There you have it...

210985[/snapback]

This is very close to what I've been saying for a while kunzel.

Only my plan has 10 regular season games and a 16 team playoff. I've always thought that the big east and the acc should merge and hone it down to 12 teams. ND should be forced into the big 10 to make that one 12 teams and the PAC 10 should pick up BYU and Fresno to do the same. Then you end up with 5 conference champions and the 5 runners up and take the next 6 at large teams based on the BCS formula for your final 16.

IMO, there should also be some tweaking of the bcs. Step one, TAKE OUT THE COMPUTER RANKINGS. Or at least use the computer rankings along with all of the other polls to count for 33.3% of the bcs, at most (c'mon how big of a joke is this stinking harris poll???? or the sagarin ratings.......good lord). Next, use strength of schedule based upon the NCAA formula and not the sagarin ratings. Add to that formula, a conference ranking system that is based on each conference's bowl record over the last 3 seasons (in order to make this fair, the bowl committees need to start matching up #3 teams with other #3 teams, no more SEC #5 vs Acc #2 bs), and make that 33.3% of the formula. The remainder is record (# of losses) and quality wins. The way they calculate quality wins needs to change as well. If you beat a team in the top 10 you get a quality win point (doesn't matter what happens to that team from then on, you keep the point. it's not your fault that by losing to you they fall out of the top 10. even if they didn't belong, it was the polls' mistake and not the team's) and if you beat a team in the top 25 you get 1/2 a point, top 50 win = 1/4 a point.

Not much, just a little tweaking....... ;)

I would simply substitute the Masters Coaches Poll for the BCS poll and get the computers out of the rankings.

here are ones that i'd like

If Big 11 and Big East refuse to eliminate split champions like the other 4 conferences have done:

1-6 get in, 1&2 get a bye. Regular season still very important due to byes and small number of teams.

If Big 11 or Big East go to complete round robin like Pac 10, or CCG like Big 12, SEC, and ACC:

6 BCS conference champions get in. 6 at large bids. Top 4 ranked get a bye, much like NFL playoff. One atlarge is the highest ranked non BCS team.

If we REALLY have to let North Texas have a shot just to remove all doubt:

Full blown 16 team playoff. 11 conference champions, 5 atlarge bids.

12 teams... Notre Dame DOES NOT participate unless they join a conference and EARN IT....

either drop all conference championship games( which i would LOVE) or force every conference to have one..

conference champions get automatic bids...ACC,SEC,BIG 10, BIG 12, PAC 10, C-USA, Big East, did i miss any?? leaving a few at large bids...

get rid of the BCS all together...form a committee much like the bball tournament has, where there are reps from every part of the country. Let them decide who gets the at-large bids.... this committee then ranks them 1-12 top 4 get byes...leaving four games....the teams that get byes are home teams at the sites of the current BCS bowls..winners of these games play at a neutral site.. and winner is NATIONAL CHAMPION!!!!!

Yea... 16 teams - that's waaaay too many games. I love how college football makes every game count. At - Large births allows 2 or 3 losses or with all the champs even 4 in the case of FSU. Smaller conferences.... forget them unless they go undefeated and beat a quality a team - like an RPI kind of thing. TCU this year... they didn't deserve anything - they beat a pitiful Choklahoma team then lost to SMU.... blah. Utah last year didn't really beat anyone worth noting and Urban Meyer admitted that before his bowl game that he didn't belong with the Big 3 last season.

Keep it simple and short. The bowl season is great and you don't want to waste conference - tie ins with bowls by forcing even more bowls for certain bowls losing their game due to some "tournament game." Plus, this gets expensive for the fans.

I'd take the four best teams by whatever method (BCS I guess) that limits one team per conference. This way, conferences like the Big 10 that have no championship game and don't necessarily play each team get no advantage. So this year it would be USC, Texas, Penn State and Georgia. West Virginia and FSU get left out. FSU for obvious reasons and West Virginia - well they and the Big East may want to try to strengthen their schedules.

1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in two of the BCS bowl games (USC-UGA and UT-PSU) and the winner plays a week later.

I guess it sounds close to that "plus one" system but I have never really heard how it would work. I think people got confused last year with Auburn getting to play USC in that system.... no... Auburn would've played Oklahoma. Why should the #2 team have to play the #1 team with the #3 team getting the free ride?

Florida State this year and whoever beat Oklahoma in 2003 (See, I've already forgotten who it was--that's how insignificant they were) are two perfect examples of why I will never accept automatic bids for the conference championship game winners.

Now if the conference berths go to champions based on won/lost records--in or out of conference--I'll reconsider my view of automatic conference berths.

Archived