Aleric Mullins to UNC

TitanTiger

I thought our 02 class (after the 01 season) was like #6, or something?

216748[/snapback]

You are correct in terms of where it ranked compared to others. But one reason it ranked so high was that we signed 33 players that year. We had one 5-star, eleven 4-stars, and sixteen 3-stars. This season we signed 25 but that includes one 5-star, fourteen 4-stars and seven 3-stars. Our average star rating that year was 3.21 and this year it's 3.52.

I thought our 02 class (after the 01 season) was like #6, or something?

216748[/snapback]

You are correct in terms of where it ranked compared to others. But one reason it ranked so high was that we signed 33 players that year. We had one 5-star, eleven 4-stars, and sixteen 3-stars. This season we signed 25 but that includes one 5-star, fourteen 4-stars and seven 3-stars. Our average star rating that year was 3.21 and this year it's 3.52.

216753[/snapback]

Thank you for clearing that up.

thoes classes are too close to make a difference. we got a good class, we will see what happens. appears there was a lot of talent to go around. based only on the rankings i say we failed. To have such a good record over the last two years and have teams finish ahead of us is somewhat alarming. I do trust Tubs jugement and he will win. that is a given. The rankings are bologna.

based only on the rankings i say we failed. To have such a good record over the last two years and have teams finish ahead of us is somewhat alarming.

216761[/snapback]

Sorry, I'm calling BS on that. We didn't fail at all. This is one of the best signing day classes we've ever had. We not only got a ton of the top players, we got them at the positions we needed most: OL, DL and WR. This is not a "failed" signing class by even the most pessimistic standards.

based only on the rankings i say we failed. To have such a good record over the last two years and have teams finish ahead of us is somewhat alarming.

216761[/snapback]

Sorry, I'm calling BS on that. We didn't fail at all. This is one of the best signing day classes we've ever had. We not only got a ton of the top players, we got them at the positions we needed most: OL, DL and WR. This is not a "failed" signing class by even the most pessimistic standards.

216763[/snapback]

Totally agree with you. As WarTim says, it's not who you sign, but what you do with them that counts.

216761[/snapback]

216763[/snapback]

well..penguin, wishbone and PowerI haven't been here yet.... :lol::lol:

thoes classes are too close to make a difference.  we got a good class, we will see what happens.  appears there was a lot of talent to go around.  based only on the rankings i say we failed. To have such a good record over the last two years and have teams finish ahead of us is somewhat alarming.  I do trust Tubs jugement and he will win. that is a given.  The rankings are bologna.

216761[/snapback]

If all you go by is the number of the stars by the name, then there are some teams that had better years. However, this coaching staff isn't into going after five star players just because they are five star players. They view the recruiting class as a whole unit and how that unit will fit in with the players they already have. You have to remember, as the number of stars go up, the ego generally goes up as well. A lot of these five star guys, as talented as they are, aren't very coachable and aren't team players.

My brother was at the spring coaches clinic last year and Eddie Gran made a statement that was very profound. He said that the coaches at Auburn wouldn't recruit a kid if they would be afraid to have him babysit their kids. How many other coaches could say that? CTT is recruiting the RIGHT way. He recruits character first, athlete second. Every scool has some incidents and things that come up from time to time, but I think if you go back to the time that CTT took over, you will find that AU has tried to recruit the type of kid that the university will be proud of. I think he has done it again. We will look back on this class as one of the best in AU history.

I can't wait to see these guys on the field. GIVE 'EM HELL BOYS!!!

216761[/snapback]

216763[/snapback]

well..penguin, wishbone and PowerI haven't been here yet.... :lol::lol:

216769[/snapback]

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

I for one, do put a lot of stock in the ratings of overall classes. I don't get that caught up in the individual ratings because we can all quickly name a dozen 1-star success stories and 5-star flops. My feeling is that when you consistently sign highly rated classes, you almost can't help but be good. One of the keys to any successful program is having the ability to stockpile numbers of top athletes at each position.

When you sign classes with this many great athletes, that's exactly what you achieve. Sure, some of these guys are not going to work out, but many of them will contribute very soon. Think about that BCS championship game we just witnessed. What's one common thread between those two teams? They've both been stockpiling athletes the last few years with top rated recruiting classes.

In my book, our staff gets an A+ for their efforts with this class.

Archived