Muschamp = Defense

jc4tigers

I haven't posted too much about Muschamp's hire but I will start by saying I'm very excited!! What I am curious about is since Muschamp was in charge of LSU's defense during their blitz happy 2003-2004 season.... will Auburn's linebackers or entire defense for that matter become more aggressive with blitz packages.

That was the main thing (aside from poor tackling) that I didn't like about the defense this past year. We weren't as aggressive with blitzing as we were under CGC. I hope with Muschamp calling the shots that we will see a more aggressive defensive style of play.

I love the play of our front four but the one thing i hated about playing LSU was you knew that on third down especially that you had to get the ball out of the backfield quickly or else you would be swallowed by the blitz... what do you all think?

War Damn Eagle!

It will be as aggressive as Tuberville will allow. Hopefully, we will be more sound at the fundamentals and tackling than we were under Gibbs. We didn't blitz a lot under Gene Chizik or David Gibbs but we were very sound on defense under Chizik. You have to remember that Muschamp's defense at LSU ( 02-04 ) was only slightly better than Chizik's defense ( 02-04 ) in terms of sacks and forced-turnovers. In fact, Chizik's defense did a better job in terms of scoring defense.

A combination of the '03 LSU D and the '04 AU D would be fantastic. I hope Muschamp will be allowed to utilize our defensive speed like he did with that '03 LSU D. I'll have to mention that to Tommy at church on Sunday. We for sure have the talent to have a great D. I think all it will take is a little fire lit by the right coach to get the guys motivated. You know the thoughts of the type of scheme they are going to run. If they know it is going to be smash mouth flying around they will be pumped about it. Something new and exciting always changes things.

Something new and exciting always changes things.

219052[/snapback]

Tgr4lfre,

don't mean to pick on you too much because I agree with your post but I might put this quote in my signature. :)

Something new and exciting always changes things.

219052[/snapback]

Tgr4lfre,

don't mean to pick on you too much because I agree with your post but I might put this quote in my signature. :)

219059[/snapback]

Yeah, those changes always make something different. :big:

On another board, ITAT?, they were quoting Muschamp as saying that "we will concentrate on fundamentals during the spring." Several were aghast that we would take a little time to do that anymore. I am sure CWM will have the D going by fall, but if you remember the last few games, I think some time spent on Tackling, Stripping, and Intercepting would do us a world of good.

I'm all for spending time on fundamentals...after all, once you improve the basics, it's easier to build on. or at least that's how it works with anything else.

either way, i'm excited about having CWM on the job. I think he will do an excellent job taking advantage of all the speed and quickness we have on defense.

I would rather have a fundamentaly sound defense that never blitzed than a defense that blitz's all the time but isnt fundamentaly sound. Whats the point in blitzing if you cant takle once you get there!

I would rather have a fundamentaly sound defense that never blitzed than a defense that blitz's all the time but isnt fundamentaly sound.  Whats the point in blitzing if you cant takle once you get there!

219207[/snapback]

you skip out on poker to post on a message board?!

Archived