Alexander Greater than Bo? Auburn overacheiving?

AWK

bg if it makes you feel better, i think shaun's had a MUCH better career than bo in the nfl b/c injuries are part of it. if you can't stay healthy, that is a factor in your nfl career (ie. fred taylor). shaun's had the benefit of the best line in the league, but he's also seen a lot of carries in the league and lived to tell the tale. by far, better than bo, career-wise.

now if you're talking both are healthy, who's the gm drafting? shaun's not in that weight class. he wasn't as good as bo when both were active. not even close. which is a heck of a statement b/c shaun's really good. i just think there is a short list of maybe 5 guys that were on bo's level when each was in his prime (do you think any of them were as good as bo was at his "hobby"?).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys wont hear me argue that Shaun is a better pure athlete. No way...bo was the best athlete to play any sport in the state of alabama. Period.

220180[/snapback]

Then I think we're in agreement, BG...weird, huh? :D

:au::homer:

Great article on the subject at hand, from the Pickens County Paper:

"Last week, a Birmingham sports columnist advanced another theory that carried even less weight. Kevin Scarbinsky offered the opinion that Shaun Alexander, former Alabama back and current NFL MVP from the Seahawks, was perhaps a better running back than Auburn’s Bo Jackson.

Scarbinsky made the classic mistake of confusing durability with talent.

There’s no question Alexander has more NFL yards than Jackson. Bo never played a full season in the NFL because he also played baseball and then injury curtailed his career. No question Alexander will finish his career with more NFL everything -- yards, touchdowns, carries, Pro Bowls, MVP awards. In that respect, you have to give Alexander credit for his achievements. He’s an excellent, durable back. And from all accounts, he’s a great guy. But he’s no Bo.

If you want to go purely by NFL totals, you can make a case for Alexander. but only if you go by totals. In his three baseball-shortened seasons with the Raiders, Bo averaged 5.4 yards per carry. Alexander has only one season where his average topped five yards per carry (2005 at 5.1) and his career average is 4.6 yards per carry, nearly a full-yard per carry less than Jackson. It’s the same flawed argument Georgia fans try to make in declaring Herschel Walker the best back ever. Walker had more yards, therefore nothing else matters. He also had a lot more carries.

If Bo had not shared carries in the wishbone at Auburn, if he’d been the Tiger’s first, last and only offensive option, can you imagine what his totals might have been? Per carry, he was significantly better than Walker. But UGA fans do have some ground to stand on. Walker and Jackson were both electric, dynamic backs, both among the greatest college football has ever seen. They had the ability to do things mortal men could only dream of. Alexander couldn’t carry their socks.

Bo Jackson was a singular talent. This state -- and the nation -- has never seen anything like Bo. And may never again. Alexander has piled up some nice statistics in his career, both at Alabama and with the Seahawks. He’s had some tremendous games -- his sophomore year against LSU stands out. But Alexander has never had that moment where you turned slack-jawed to the person next to you and said “did you just see that?” Bo had more of those moments than you can count, both on the football and the baseball field. When Bo touched the ball, the entire stadium held its breath, expecting something amazing to happen.

More than 10 years since he left the game, people still remember Bo plowing Brian Bosworth into the turf. People still talk about his All Star home run. Bo was more than just a football player. He was more than just a baseball player. Bo was an icon. He was and is a legend. He transcended the game. Both games.

Shaun’s a good back, a nice guy. But he’s no Bo. He may have better NFL numbers than Jackson. So do a lot of backs whose names you can’t remember. None of them are in Bo’s league either."

Shaun’s a good back, a nice guy. But he’s no Bo. He may have better NFL numbers than Jackson. So do a lot of backs whose names you can’t remember. None of them are in Bo’s league either."

Thats all that needs to be said :au:

Alexander was/is a great back. A coach would be a fool not to want Shaun on his team.

But he'd be an even greater fool, if, given the choice of Bo, Herschel, or Shaun with all in prime condition, he didn't pick Bo over Shaun & Herschel !

Someone is a fool for picking Walker over Bo?

I could see both arguments for both Bo and Walker but someone picking one over the other is not a fool.

220781[/snapback]

I am a little biased here but I think that as all around athlete Bo is better than Walker. As College football players they are equal and I can see where some can argue that Walker was more important to UGA than Bo was to AU. Without Walker they would not have won the MNC as Walker was the whole UGA offense. If you compare their size they were almost twins. Both may never be duplicated again and all college tailbacks will be compared to them.

If I was a Coach and had to choose between BO, Hershal or Shaun Alexander I would take Bo or Hershal with a slight nod to Bo. There are other tailbacks that I would place ahead of Shaun. He is a very talentd back but he is not Bo or Hershal.

Oh, I am not arguing Walker was a better "athlete" but I am talking about as a college RB

I am not exactly sure about Bo's importance to AU's Offense but Walker was 100% our offense.

I am not sure you could ever find someone more important to a teams success in the history of the college game then Walker.

He was everything...literally

Someone is a fool for picking Walker over Bo?

I could see both arguments for both Bo and Walker but someone picking one over the other is not a fool.

220781[/snapback]

Dawgs don't get a vote on WEN :poke:

Oh, I am not arguing Walker was a better "athlete" but I am talking about as a college RB

I am not exactly sure about Bo's importance to AU's Offense but Walker was 100% our offense.

I am not sure you could ever find someone more important to a teams success in the history of the college game then Walker.

220805[/snapback]

Bo shared carries with Lionel James and Tommie Agee -- both of whom went on to solid NFL careers. If Bo had been 100% of Auburn's offense, nobody outside Athens would remember Herschel Walker's name.

He was a team player first and foremost. He was also a fearless runner. Herschel spent the last two years of his college career and his entire pro career dodging out of bounds.

Bo shared carries with Lionel James and Tommie Agee -- both of whom went on to solid NFL careers.

220986[/snapback]

Split carries with Agee and Little Train early, then later with Fullwood, who was drafted by the pitiful Packers under Faust.

Herschel spent the last two years of his college career and his entire pro career dodging out of bounds.

On that note, Bo spent his entire career dodging out of bounds as well. :roflol:

Sure. What exactly would the question be asking?

Whether I can vote in a poll about Walker or Bo on here? I like my chances :lol:

220936[/snapback]

You're a cocky dawg. Yor vote is automatically rejected. :cheer:

Herschel Walker wins the "whos the better athlete right now" award. Anybody seen him lately? He's freaking ripped. He could suit up right freaking now. Bo, on the other hand, has gotten a little softer around the edges.

I shook Herschels hand a couple of years ago and saw up close how big this dude is.

I can't imagine a better pure athlete in college than Bo...but if there ever was...it would have been herschel.

Herschel Walker wins the "whos the better athlete right now" award. Anybody seen him lately? He's freaking ripped. He could suit up right freaking now. Bo, on the other hand, has gotten a little softer around the edges.

I shook Herschels hand a couple of years ago and saw up close how big this dude is.

I can't imagine a better pure athlete in college than Bo...but if there ever was...it would have been herschel.

221053[/snapback]

They were both freaks of nature.

didn't hersh make a run at the winter olympics as a runner on the bobsled team 8 years back? just shows you that great athletes are just great athletes.

221053[/snapback]

Bo was a natural athlete but I am sure the hip replacement had a lot to do with him getting a little soft around the edges. Comparing them now is kind of like comparing ALI to Forman now. Forman could still step into the ring and be competative but Ali has too many problems to even think of boxing. In their prime Ali was a better boxer and Forman was the big puncher.

220805[/snapback]

Bo had this Fullwood guy running with him in the bone...and he wasn't too shabby.... ;)

Herschel spent the last two years of his college career and his entire pro career dodging out of bounds.

On that note, Bo spent his entire career dodging out of bounds as well. :roflol:

221009[/snapback]

Yeah...ask Bosworth.... :lol:

Jackson, Walker and Alexander were all really good. I dont really think you can compair them. Im not real sure, but I think Bo came a little later then Walker. They all were part of the college game at different times. If I remember right, Alexander wasnt wasnt a heisman possibility because he got hurt and missed part of the UT game in 99.

As for pro backs, they all have had good careers. Despite Jackson' injury, he would have had an even more impressive career. I think once Walker actually made it to the NFL, he was running on fumes. UGA ran him in the ground and not being in the NFL at the start of his career hurt him a lot. Alexander so far has had a pretty good career too. When you think about Caddy (thank god he is gone) he has already started to make a name for himself. He reminds me of Walter Payton (running style).

Overall Jackson, Walker, and Alexander were good. Why even try to compair them. I think Caddy eventually will surpass those three with his NFL career. Ronnie Brown isnt to bad either, I would take him.

Archived