Alexander Greater than Bo? Auburn overacheiving?

AWK

My friend and I were talking the other day and we came up with an idea for a column … “Most overachieving teams in college football.†Rank the teams that win despite playing second-fiddle within their state, a campus location that isn’t too enticing to recruits, having less populated and/or skilled recruiting areas, etc… We both thought that would be interesting. And for the record, we picked Auburn and Virginia Tech and the top of our respective lists.- Randy K

A: Got it. Based on the programs that have everything going against it (bad recruiting base, academic restrictions, non-powerhouse facilities, rough conference schedule, etc.), Auburn and Virginia Tech aren’t even within 100 miles of the top ten. Those are two tremendous programs that are football factories at this point. Virginia Tech is certainly the top football dog in its own state, and Auburn is just as much a power as Alabama. No, the true overachievers, at the moment, are …

10. Texas Tech – Not only do the Red Raiders have to deal with Texas, they have Texas A&M and the rest of the Big 12 to battle against.

9. Iowa State – Iowa State isn’t the program Iowa is, but it has been a pain in the Hawkeyes’ side over the last several years.

8. Toledo – 55 wins and four bowl appearances in six seasons is impressive. To do it with the Ohio also-rans of recruiting talent is even more amazing.

7. TCU – While there’s a storied history to draw on, this isn’t the program that many of the mega-programs in the area are.

6. Hawaii – Hawaii isn’t exactly loaded with high school talent, yet the Warriors always get the cream of the crop and cranks out high-octane teams every year.

5. Tulsa – Two bowl games in the last three years and a Conference USA title isn’t bad considering Steve Kragthorpe’s club plays in the same state as Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

4. California – Along with the academics, Cal has the rest of the Pac 10 to deal with.

3. Northwestern – If you buy into the premise that the Big Ten is one of the nation’s best conferences, then you have to respect what Gary Barnett and Randy Walker have done. Can you imagine Vanderbilt, Duke or Rice going to three bowl games in the last six years?

2. Boise State – Name the NFL stars that have come from Boise. What program in America wouldn’t take 73 wins in seven years?

1. Navy – No one has tougher barriers to overcome, but Paul Johnson has won 26 games and two of three bowl games in the last three years

But wait, theresssssssssssss more

A lot of Alabama fans are now saying that Shaun Alexander should be mentioned in the same breath as Bo Jackson and Hershel Walker :huh:  as far as college careers. Please tell me this is a bunch of homer talk. I mean Bo and Hershel won the Heisman Trophy! - JR

A: Herschel Walker was, arguably, the greatest college football player of all-time, and Bo Jackson was one of the greatest backs to ever play. While Alexander isn’t in that rare air as a collegiate player, he’s turning out to have the far better pro career than either of the two. Don’t just dismiss Alexander’s Tide career; I’ve never figured out why he wasn’t more of a Heisman candidate considering he had a 1,178-yard junior season and a tremendous 1,383-yard, 12-touchdown senior year highlighted by a brilliant three-touchdown performance in a 40-39 win over number one Florida in the Swamp. He finished as the school’s all-time leading rusher with 3,565 yards averaging close to five yards per carry. By comparison, Bo finished with 4,303 yards averaging 6.6 yards per carry, while Herschel finished with 5,259 yards and would’ve been the NCAA’s all-time rushing leader, most likely, to this day had he stayed for his senior year.

Silly Silly Fans, leave the football talk for the adults :P

CFN

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shaun Alexander was a tremendous back for Bama and is clearly proving his worth in the NFL but I would pick several Auburn backs over him at the college level.

Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker are the two best runningbacks to come out of the SEC beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I would pick Brent Fullwood, Carnell Williams and Rudi Johnson over Alexander.

This is not a :homer: opinion! :D

My friend and I were talking the other day and we came up with an idea for a column … “Most overachieving teams in college football.” Rank the teams that win despite playing second-fiddle within their state, a campus location that isn’t too enticing to recruits, having less populated and/or skilled recruiting areas, etc… We both thought that would be interesting. And for the record, we picked Auburn and Virginia Tech and the top of our respective lists.- Randy K

A: Got it. Based on the programs that have everything going against it (bad recruiting base, academic restrictions, non-powerhouse facilities, rough conference schedule, etc.), Auburn and Virginia Tech aren’t even within 100 miles of the top ten. Those are two tremendous programs that are football factories at this point. Virginia Tech is certainly the top football dog in its own state, and Auburn is just as much a power as Alabama. No, the true overachievers, at the moment, are …

10. Texas Tech – Not only do the Red Raiders have to deal with Texas, they have Texas A&M and the rest of the Big 12 to battle against.

9. Iowa State – Iowa State isn’t the program Iowa is, but it has been a pain in the Hawkeyes’ side over the last several years.

8. Toledo – 55 wins and four bowl appearances in six seasons is impressive. To do it with the Ohio also-rans of recruiting talent is even more amazing.

7. TCU – While there’s a storied history to draw on, this isn’t the program that many of the mega-programs in the area are.

6. Hawaii – Hawaii isn’t exactly loaded with high school talent, yet the Warriors always get the cream of the crop and cranks out high-octane teams every year.

5. Tulsa – Two bowl games in the last three years and a Conference USA title isn’t bad considering Steve Kragthorpe’s club plays in the same state as Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

4. California – Along with the academics, Cal has the rest of the Pac 10 to deal with.

3. Northwestern – If you buy into the premise that the Big Ten is one of the nation’s best conferences, then you have to respect what Gary Barnett and Randy Walker have done. Can you imagine Vanderbilt, Duke or Rice going to three bowl games in the last six years?

2. Boise State – Name the NFL stars that have come from Boise. What program in America wouldn’t take 73 wins in seven years?

1. Navy – No one has tougher barriers to overcome, but Paul Johnson has won 26 games and two of three bowl games in the last three years

But wait, theresssssssssssss more

A lot of Alabama fans are now saying that Shaun Alexander should be mentioned in the same breath as Bo Jackson and Hershel Walker :huh:  as far as college careers. Please tell me this is a bunch of homer talk. I mean Bo and Hershel won the Heisman Trophy! - JR

A: Herschel Walker was, arguably, the greatest college football player of all-time, and Bo Jackson was one of the greatest backs to ever play. While Alexander isn’t in that rare air as a collegiate player, he’s turning out to have the far better pro career than either of the two. Don’t just dismiss Alexander’s Tide career; I’ve never figured out why he wasn’t more of a Heisman candidate considering he had a 1,178-yard junior season and a tremendous 1,383-yard, 12-touchdown senior year highlighted by a brilliant three-touchdown performance in a 40-39 win over number one Florida in the Swamp. He finished as the school’s all-time leading rusher with 3,565 yards averaging close to five yards per carry. By comparison, Bo finished with 4,303 yards averaging 6.6 yards per carry, while Herschel finished with 5,259 yards and would’ve been the NCAA’s all-time rushing leader, most likely, to this day had he stayed for his senior year.

Silly Silly Fans, leave the football talk for the adults :P

CFN

219929[/snapback]

something else not mentioned above between Bo and Herschel is Herschel walker had over 300 MORE carries than Bo. I'm not taking anything away from Herschel Walker in the least, but 344 more carries to have less than 1,000 more rushing???? Of course he's gonna lead the league in rushing with 994 attempts(5,259)...Bo only had 650 attempts (4,303)... The year that Herschel walker set the record for rushing yards in a single season he ran for 1,891 yards, still the record, but he carried it 385 times. Bo Jackson is second on that list with 1,786 yards with only 278 carries. SO 107 carries for an extra 105 yards?? Not exactly staggering numbers are they?? Herschel walker averaged 30 carries a game, while Bo averaged only 17 carries per game..

Eric, I posted this a few years ago...

Clearly, Herschel holds all the career totals:

Walker: 5259yds-994-52tds

Jackson: 4303yds-650-43tds

Because he had 344 more carries than Bo, it's no surprise that he has more yards and TD's. This is the reason why I compare averages rather than totals. Look for quality rather than quantity.

Top 11 Games:

HW: 2468yds-398-25tds / 6.2 avg / 15.9 att per TD

BJ: 2162yds-281-20tds / 7.7 avg / 14.0 att per TD

Once again, Walker leads in total yards but Bo had a better average per carry and scored more frequently.

Career Games of 20 carries or more:

HW: 5126yds-963-52tds / 5.32 avg / 18.5 att per TD

BJ: 1934yds-272-18tds / 7.11 avg / 15.1 att per TD

Walker had 30 games of 20 carries or more compared to Bo's 10 games. Bo averaged 193. 4 yards per game compared to Walker's 170.9 average. Once again, Bo had a better average per carry and scored more frequently.

SEC Games:

HW: 168.9 yds per game / 5.23 avg / 20.0 att per TD

BJ: 113.2 yds per game / 6.27 avg / 17.2 att per TD

Because of more attempts, Herschel had a better average of yards per game but Bo had a higher average per carry and scored more frequently against SEC opponents.

Number of games averaging 5 or more yards per carry:

Jackson: 29

Walker: 16

Number of games averaging 6 or more yards per carry:

Jackson: 21

Walker: 11

Number of games averaging 7 or more yards per carry:

Jackson: 10

Walker: 3

During their Heisman seasons, Bo had 7 runs of 30 yards or more and Herschel had only 1. Obviously both backs were stars and are probably the best two RB’s to come out of the SEC. Who was the better back? Their styles were different but I believe that Georgia benefited from the quantity of Herschel’s career and Auburn benefited from Bo’s quality. Walker was on display more often benefiting from playing out of the "I" formation. Bo's carries were limited because of the wishbone offense. In terms of on field accomplishments, Walker won 3 SEC titles and a MNC. Bo won only 1 SEC title and was robbed of a MNC in 1983. IMO, Herschel played on better teams throughout his career compared to the teams Bo played on ( 1983 exception ). I know my perspective has an orange and blue tint but the averages do favor Bo’s career over Herschel Walker.

Eric, I posted this a few years ago...

Clearly, Herschel holds all the career totals:

Walker: 5259yds-994-52tds

Jackson: 4303yds-650-43tds

Because he had 344 more carries than Bo, it's no surprise that he has more yards and TD's. This is the reason why I compare averages rather than totals. Look for quality rather than quantity.

Top 11 Games:

HW: 2468yds-398-25tds / 6.2 avg / 15.9 att per TD

BJ: 2162yds-281-20tds / 7.7 avg / 14.0 att per TD

Once again, Walker leads in total yards but Bo had a better average per carry and scored more frequently.

Career Games of 20 carries or more:

HW: 5126yds-963-52tds / 5.32 avg / 18.5 att per TD

BJ: 1934yds-272-18tds / 7.11 avg / 15.1 att per TD

Walker had 30 games of 20 carries or more compared to Bo's 10 games. Bo averaged 193. 4 yards per game compared to Walker's 170.9 average. Once again, Bo had a better average per carry and scored more frequently.

SEC Games:

HW: 168.9 yds per game / 5.23 avg / 20.0 att per TD

BJ: 113.2 yds per game / 6.27 avg / 17.2 att per TD

Because of more attempts, Herschel had a better average of yards per game but Bo had a higher average per carry and scored more frequently against SEC opponents.

Number of games averaging 5 or more yards per carry:

Jackson: 29

Walker: 16

Number of games averaging 6 or more yards per carry:

Jackson: 21

Walker: 11

Number of games averaging 7 or more yards per carry:

Jackson: 10

Walker: 3

During their Heisman seasons, Bo had 7 runs of 30 yards or more and Herschel had only 1. Obviously both backs were stars and are probably the best two RB’s to come out of the SEC. Who was the better back? Their styles were different but I believe that Georgia benefited from the quantity of Herschel’s career and Auburn benefited from Bo’s quality. Walker was on display more often benefiting from playing out of the "I" formation. Bo's carries were limited because of the wishbone offense. In terms of on field accomplishments, Walker won 3 SEC titles and a MNC. Bo won only 1 SEC title and was robbed of a MNC in 1983. IMO, Herschel played on better teams throughout his career compared to the teams Bo played on ( 1983 exception ). I know my perspective has an orange and blue tint but the averages do favor Bo’s career over Herschel Walker.

220041[/snapback]

Case CLOSED!!!!!!

sorry about that stat, don't want to step on any statistical toes...lol..

Case CLOSED!!!!!!

sorry about that stat, don't want to step on any statistical toes...lol..

220049[/snapback]

Reopen it just for a moment and consider the level of competition.

Georgia's schedule during the Walker years consisted of lots of Vandy, lots of Kentucky, lots of Ole Miss and Mississippi State and some assorted other creampuffs. Georgia never played Alabama.

In 80, UGA played

Tennessee, Texas A&M, Clemson, TCU, Ole Miss, Vandy, So. Carolina, Florida, Auburn, GTech and Notre Dame. A&M, Auburn and Florida were down that year.

In 81:

Tennessee, California, Clemson, So. Carolina, Ole Miss, Vandy, Kentucky, Temple, Florida, Auburn, G.Tech and Pitt. Only Pitt and Clemson were quality opponents.

In 82:

Clemson, Brigham Young, So. Carolina, MSU, Ole Miss, Vandy, Kentucky, Memphis State, Florida, Auburn, GTech and Penn State. I could have rushed for 1500 yards against that bunch.

Now let's compare Bo. We'll take out the middle of the 84 season since he was hurt for most of it.

82:

Wake Forest, Southern Miss, Tennessee, Nebraska, Kentucky, GTech, MSU, Florida, Rutgers, Georgia, Alabama and Boston College.

83:

Southern Miss, Texas, Tennessee, Florida State, Kentucky, GTech, MSU, Maryland, Georgia, Alabama and Michigan. Six teams in the Top Ten.

84:

Miami, Texas, Southern Miss, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas.

85:

SW Louisiana, Southern Miss, Tennessee, Ole Miss, FSU, GTech, MSU, Florida, East Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Texas A&M

Herschel's biggest games came against Florida. Bo's against Alabama. Herschel's second biggest games came against Kentucky and Ole Miss. Bo's came against FSU and Florida.

There is no question that Herschel and Bo were both rare talents the likes of which we may never see again. However, if I were picking a football team and had the choice, I go with Bo every time. Herschel basically won the Heisman his freshman year, they just waited a couple of years to give it to him. Everyone who played against him said that he never was as good after his freshman year. In his freshman year, he would hit YOU. Later in his UGA career, he didn't run as hard, he just ran a lot (as evidenced by the stats).

Not to take away from Herschel because he was GREAT in college and GREAT in the NFL, but I think there never has been and will never be another Bo Jackson.

if i had to take a college running back, you could flip a coin between bo and herschel, and i wouldn't complain.

i do thin hersh had the better career for the exact reasons you guys are using to discount him. i think a guy taking 25+ carries in a game, having a lower ypc average, and leading that team to a win is a better accomplishment than sharing the load. herschel was the offense for three of the best uga teams ever. he was the ONLY scary thing about those teams offensively. you knew he was getting the ball, he got the ball, and he ran over, through, and around you. they lost a TOTAL of three game is his career. and uga won the only head to head between bo and hersch in 1982. gimme a workhorse any day of the week. that's why i always liked the cadillac more than ronnie. that's why i liked rudi, and why i like kenny. they shoulder the load and the pressure and the defensive focus every game, and they still get it done.

bo, as great as he was, wasn't the only focus of a defense until his final season really. in 1982, we ran the bone and even in the bama game (i've seen it a number of times) he was only given the ball in the flow of the offense which meant bama was trying to stop the bone, not bo. in 1983, he was a part of the offense shown by his 150 total carries. junior year, he's hurt. senior year he becomes a workhorse (280 carries) loses a little over a yard per carry and proves he can be the man in an offense on a good, but not herschel good, team.

in the end, herschel was the key to their success. that was proved by the fact that uga never lost to auburn in his three years and won the sec every year he was there i believe. after he left, that same team lost three straight to auburn and didn't win the sec again until mark richt and the davids.

i'm not saying he was better than bo. i love bo. best athlete i've ever seen or probably will ever see (lebron is getting up there), but in college, herschel walker might be the best running back to ever put on a jersey.

There are and have been many "very good" rbs in the SEC.

Bo & Hershel were in a class by themselves. Personally, I would take Bo and never look back. :au:

in the end, herschel was the key to their success. that was proved by the fact that uga never lost to auburn in his three years and won the sec every year he was there i believe. after he left, that same team lost three straight to auburn and didn't win the sec again until mark richt and the davids.

i'm not saying he was better than bo. i love bo. best athlete i've ever seen or probably will ever see (lebron is getting up there), but in college, herschel walker might be the best running back to ever put on a jersey.

220091[/snapback]

Herschel was clearly UGA's star on offense but they had a great OL and one heck of a defense from 1980-1983. UGA's SOS in 1980 was only .410 and the Dogs faced only 15 opponents with a winning record from 1980-1982. In contrast, Auburn faced 34 opponents with a winning record from 1982-1985. Bottom line, Herschel faced winning opponents 45% of the time, while Bo faced winning opponents 69% of the time.

The 1983 UGA team went 10-1-1 without Herschel and still averaged 229 yards rushing per game. They fought Auburn to the bitter end in a 13-7 defeat and defeated a Texas team, who manhandled Auburn earlier in the season. The 1983 UGA team also played against a tougher schedule than any of the teams Walker played on. Yes, Walker was a star and the best player on the team but Georgia had other talent and played against a much weaker schedule than the Auburn teams with Bo Jackson.

Stat you've got to be kidding if you HONESTLY think Rudi Johnson had a better college career (or was a better college RB) than Alexander.

Shaun beat Auburn BY HIMSELF in 98.

Shaun's FIRST start was in Red Stick and he ran for like 291 yards and 4 TDs.

Shaun had multiple 5 touchdown games.

Shauns awesome senior year was while missing multiple games due to ankle injury.

Bo and Herschel both had better college careers. You guys have to admit Shaun has proven better than Bo on the pro level.

Bo and Herschel both had better college careers. You guys have to admit Shaun has proven better than Bo on the pro level.

Alexander has had a LONGER career than Bo...but don't forget that an Injury ended Bo's pro career after only 4 seasons in the league.

Alexander isn't better than Bo, he's just lasted longer and been fortunate to stay injury free. Nobody knows where Bo would stand in the record books had he had an injury free career.

Also don't forget that the four seasons Bo was in the NFL he never played a complete season because of baseball...The most games he played in, in one season was 11..

Stat you've got to be kidding if you HONESTLY think Rudi Johnson had a better college career (or was a better college RB) than Alexander.

Shauns awesome senior year was while missing multiple games due to ankle injury.

220137[/snapback]

BG, you are the closest thing to a reasonable Bama fan that I know of, but you're mad as a monkey in a dustbin if you believe that Alexander is in any way better than Bo.

I wish we could take a national referendum on this one.

Alexander has had a LONGER career than Bo...but don't forget that an Injury ended Bo's pro career after only 4 seasons in the league.

Alexander isn't better than Bo, he's just lasted longer and been fortunate to stay injury free. Nobody knows where Bo would stand in the record books had he had an injury free career.

Also don't forget that the four seasons Bo was in the NFL he never played a complete season because of baseball...The most games he played in, in one season was 11..

220139[/snapback]

That doesnt negate the fact that Shaun has had a better pro career. Injuries or not he's not got the numbers or the hardware.

I mean hell per your argument, you could say Garrison Hearst had a better pro career than Emmit Smith because "he was hurt and didnt get to play much"

220139[/snapback]

This speaks volumes, Bo was probably the best pure Athlete to ever play the game. Given the same time as Alexander there is absolutely NO telling the impact he could have had on the NFL. Shaun never really was a force in college football, yeah he had good games but he was not a big issue. He never even was invited to the Heisman ceremony much less came close to winning one. As consolation he is having a better NFL career than me, but that could be because I am a short white guy who is not graced with being fleet a foot. :lol:

220137[/snapback]

Where in my post did I say Rudi had a better career than Alexander? Rudi only played for one season, rushed for over 1500 yards and was the SEC Player of the Year, coming out of nowhere to do it. Had he returned for his senior year, he would have been a Heisman Trophy favorite out of the SEC. My statement was that I would pick Johnson over Alexander because I believe he's the better runningback. Please don't get your panties in a wad over my opinion.

220139[/snapback]

That doesnt negate the fact that Shaun has had a better pro career. Injuries or not he's not got the numbers or the hardware.

I mean hell per your argument, you could say Garrison Hearst had a better pro career than Emmit Smith because "he was hurt and didnt get to play much"

220148[/snapback]

i would hope it would be better, he's been in the league LONGER. If he didn't have better numbers at this stage he would NEVER get or deserve any recognition. Bo is the greatest athlete of our lifetime. PERIOD. Shaun alexander, while a solid NFL back, isn't anywhere near Bo jackson and he never will be. There will never be another player/athlete the caliber of Bo Jackson. Those type of players come along once in a lifetime.

This is a no contest...Bo went to the Pro Bowl, AND won the MVP of the Major League All-Star game. No one, except maybe Jim Brown and Herschel had the speed and the power of Bo.... That injury deprived us of seeing his greatness for a long time. I was fortunate enough to see him against Bamar twice...and I will never forget the thrills he gave us.

:au::homer:

My friend and I were talking the other day and we came up with an idea for a column … “Most overachieving teams in college football.†Rank the teams that win despite playing second-fiddle within their state, a campus location that isn’t too enticing to recruits, having less populated and/or skilled recruiting areas, etc… We both thought that would be interesting. And for the record, we picked Auburn and Virginia Tech and the top of our respective lists.- Randy K

This sorta bothered me more than the Bo/Alexander debate. What kind of ignorant football fan would think VA Tech and Auburn were overacheiving? I mean cmon, both of our teams are powerhouses, minus a few criminals (cough cough Marcus Vick). This is why the SEC gets no respect, people like this.

Archived