Alexander Greater than Bo? Auburn overacheiving?

AWK

Herschel spent the last two years of his college career and his entire pro career dodging out of bounds.

On that note, Bo spent his entire career dodging out of bounds as well. :roflol:

221009[/snapback]

Bo injured his hip because he REFUSED to dodge out of bounds. He may have been in the league many more years if he had just stepped out of bounds on that play. Maybe thats not a smart way to play, but its the only way Bo knew.

My point in the earlier post was that everyone who ever played against Herschel said that he wasn't NEARLY as hard a runner after his freshman year. He had the production because he had the carries. He was still a GREAT runner because he was still better than anyone else in the game (except BO), but he seemed to be more concerned with protecting himself than gaining an extra yard.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bo injured his hip because he REFUSED to dodge out of bounds. He may have been in the league many more years if he had just stepped out of bounds on that play. Maybe thats not a smart way to play, but its the only way Bo knew.

Wow. You really didn't get the joke did you?

My point in the earlier post was that everyone who ever played against Herschel said that he wasn't NEARLY as hard a runner after his freshman year.

Could you give me some quotes from everyone?

Never heard that said one bit from anyone

Kevin Strickland corrects Kevin Scarbinsky

Last week, a Birmingham sports columnist advanced another theory that carried even less weight. Kevin Scarbinsky offered the opinion that Shaun Alexander, former Alabama back and current NFL MVP from the Seahawks, was perhaps a better running back than Auburn’s Bo Jackson.

Scarbinsky made the classic mistake of confusing durability with talent.

There’s no question Alexander has more NFL yards than Jackson. Bo never played a full season in the NFL because he also played baseball and then injury curtailed his career. No question Alexander will finish his career with more NFL everything -- yards, touchdowns, carries, Pro Bowls, MVP awards. In that respect, you have to give Alexander credit for his achievements. He’s an excellent, durable back. And from all accounts, he’s a great guy. But he’s no Bo.

If you want to go purely by NFL totals, you can make a case for Alexander. but only if you go by totals. In his three baseball-shortened seasons with the Raiders, Bo averaged 5.4 yards per carry. Alexander has only one season where his average topped five yards per carry (2005 at 5.1) and his career average is 4.6 yards per carry, nearly a full-yard per carry less than Jackson. It’s the same flawed argument Georgia fans try to make in declaring Herschel Walker the best back ever. Walker had more yards, therefore nothing else matters. He also had a lot more carries.

If Bo had not shared carries in the wishbone at Auburn, if he’d been the Tiger’s first, last and only offensive option, can you imagine what his totals might have been? Per carry, he was significantly better than Walker. But UGA fans do have some ground to stand on. Walker and Jackson were both electric, dynamic backs, both among the greatest college football has ever seen. They had the ability to do things mortal men could only dream of. Alexander couldn’t carry their socks.

Bo Jackson was a singular talent. This state -- and the nation -- has never seen anything like Bo. And may never again. Alexander has piled up some nice statistics in his career, both at Alabama and with the Seahawks. He’s had some tremendous games -- his sophomore year against LSU stands out. But Alexander has never had that moment where you turned slack-jawed to the person next to you and said “did you just see that?” Bo had more of those moments than you can count, both on the football and the baseball field. When Bo touched the ball, the entire stadium held its breath, expecting something amazing to happen.

More than 10 years since he left the game, people still remember Bo plowing Brian Bosworth into the turf. People still talk about his All Star home run. Bo was more than just a football player. He was more than just a baseball player. Bo was an icon. He was and is a legend. He transcended the game. Both games.

Shaun’s a good back, a nice guy. But he’s no Bo. He may have better NFL numbers than Jackson. So do a lot of backs whose names you can’t remember. None of them are in Bo’s league either.

Pickens County Herald

Herschel spent the last two years of his college career and his entire pro career dodging out of bounds.

On that note, Bo spent his entire career dodging out of bounds as well. :roflol:

221009[/snapback]

You don't know Bo.

I think Kevin Strickland summed it up best by saying that these two (Bo & HW) could do things mere mortals could only dream of. Both schools have legit arguments and both are justified in putting their guy up against anyone.

I recall a picture in the Plainsman when I was in school where the photographer had taken the shot as Hershel and Clayton Beauford of Auburn (WR & part time QB) crossed the finish line in the 100. The shot was taken straight on as they ran toward the photographer. Clayton was awesome, but can you imagine Hershel Walker at about 225 in his prime, tank top on, in an all out sprint. This guy was a FREAK!!!

I mean, I'm not gay or anything....you know....not that there's anything wrong with that......I'm just sayin'....you know....if I was gay...I might have cut that picture out...but....you know....since I'm not....

What?

I think Kevin Strickland summed it up best by saying that these two (Bo & HW) could do things mere mortals could only dream of.  Both schools have legit arguments and both are justified in putting their guy up against anyone.

I recall a picture in the Plainsman when I was in school where the photographer had taken the shot as Hershel and Clayton Beauford of Auburn (WR & part time QB) crossed the finish line in the 100.  The shot was taken straight on as they ran toward the photographer.  Clayton was awesome, but can you imagine Hershel Walker at about 225 in his prime, tank top on, in an all out sprint.  This guy was a FREAK!!!

I mean, I'm not gay or anything....you know....not that there's anything wrong with that......I'm just sayin'....you know....if I was gay...I might have cut that picture out...but....you know....since I'm not....

What?

221168[/snapback]

hahaha, I dont wanna sound q*eer or nothin, but Unicorns kick a**! :roflol:

Shall we never forget Bo running up the center field wall while playing for the Royals.!!!!!!!! The most amazing thing I think I have ever seen in professional athletics.

Only b/c of a freak injury, which had nothing to do with durability, were we all robbed of seeing the greatest athlete of all time. Bo would have set records in the NFL and Pro baseball. I cried that day by the way. I'll admit. Sad Sad Sad day!!

Wasn't Bo's "injury" actually some type of bone/birth deffect and not actually caused by any type of injury?

If that is the case, then there's not a lot he could have done to prevent it, unless there was some type of surgery to correct it if it had been caught earlier.

yes it was. he had a degenerative hip. it wasn't a question of if he'd get a career ender; it was when it would happen. of course we didn't know that until after it happened. too bad for all of us... and yes, unicorns do rock.

Nor do you know Walker

Dodge? Walker?  :lol:

Let's ask All-SEC Defensive Lineman Bill Bates what he thinks about HW dodging him....

221154[/snapback]

Bill Bates was a safety that gave up around 30 pounds to Herschel

Bates was around 205 if I recall at UT

Walker was around 220 his freshman year I think

221304[/snapback]

It WAS an awesome run still. One of those jaw dropping moments that have been mentioned.

Archived