Best Phenom to Pro Star??

Scottie4AU

Everyone is anxious with September being so far away...I thought I would toss a question out to the AUNation that I have been thinking about lately.

With all the fuss over 5-star phenom recruits (re: Tim Tebow, etc.), who has been the best example of a phenom who makes it to collegiate stardom to pro star??

An example: our own beloved Bo Jackson was not the biggest name in recruiting, if memory serves. Had a fantastic college career and a pro career that was cut short by injury.

Was it John Elway? High school legend with a great pro legacy, but couldn't get any help from the Stanford band to get past Cal to a bowl game in college.

Was it Herschel Walker? Maybe...big time high school legend, enormous college career. But what of his pro career?? Best known for being traded for 100 draft picks that the Cowboys used to build their '90s teams.

So, who do you think?

My problem is that I am going mostly on gut feeling and a fading memory. Somebody out there will remember what so-and-so was rated in high school, where he finished in Heisman voting, and how many pro bowls he played.

I really don't have a solid guess, but would have to go with Elway or Herschel, I guess. Remember, I am asking for some 'phenom' that met the hype in college and made it to the big time at the pro level.

Who you got???

I'm sure there are several but the one that comes to mind is Emmitt Smith. I remember he was a big time blue chiper and was seriously considering Auburn. I heard that UF offered his parents jobs. Well that's a whole other topic. Emmitt had a very good college career and is the all time NFL leading rusher.

I'm sure there are several but the one that comes to mind is Emmitt Smith.  I remember he was a big time blue chiper and was seriously considering Auburn.  I heard that UF offered his parents jobs.  Well that's a whole other topic.  Emmitt had a very good college career and is the all time NFL leading rusher.

226722[/snapback]

And 0-9 vs. Georgia,Auburn, and FSU... One 100 yard game out of the nine matchups vs. FSU. Choked in big games....

I'm sure there are several but the one that comes to mind is Emmitt Smith.  I remember he was a big time blue chiper and was seriously considering Auburn.  I heard that UF offered his parents jobs.  Well that's a whole other topic.  Emmitt had a very good college career and is the all time NFL leading rusher.

226722[/snapback]

And 0-9 vs. Georgia,Auburn, and FSU... One 100 yard game out of the nine matchups vs. FSU. Choked in big games....

226733[/snapback]

See...that is what I'm gettin' at. This is not an easy one to figure...IMHO

Peyton Manning.

226722[/snapback]

226733[/snapback]

Florida also never really had a good team while E. Smith was there. They were 20-16 his 3 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a E. Smith fan. Anyone who plays for UF and Dallas is no friend of mine. However you can't deny the fact he was an All-American in H.S., an All-American in college, and an all pro player in the NFL.

The youngest ever QB to win a Super Bowl, Ben Roethlisberger, is really the one that is sticking in my head right now. He had a great career in Miami(Ohio) and is now creating a legacy at Pittsburgh in the Pros.

The youngest ever QB to win a Super Bowl, Ben Roethlisberger, is really the one that is sticking in my head right now. He had a great career in Miami(Ohio) and is now creating a legacy at Pittsburgh in the Pros.

226811[/snapback]

He was not a big time recruit coming out of high school, He only played Qb his senior year in High school, but you can't argue his success in the NFL

Guest Tigrinum Major
Peyton Manning.

226749[/snapback]

Carnell Williams was a highly recruited, A college star and now a Rookie of the year winner in the Nfl

226817[/snapback]

These two are the best examples I have seen cited so far. Of course, high school recruiting has really only taken off in the past ten years or so, so it is hard to go back much farther than that.

Carnell Williams was a highly recruited, A college star and now a Rookie of the year winner in the Nfl

226817[/snapback]

NICE!

List me as one certifiable AU fan that is ashamed that the Cadillac didn't jump into my mind, right off the bat. In my defense, on might argue that he is still a tad on the early side of his pro brilliance. I have not doubts that he will spend several Sundays after Super Bowl in Hawaii...

Peyton Manning is a good one, even with his wrong color orange in college!

OJ Simpson :puke: but TRUE.

Peyton Manning is a good pick.

Carnell is a great pick, but he hasn't been in the NFL lon enough to say IMHO.

Elway? I wouldn't say that his college career derailed him from his path from super blue chipper to NFL success.

Deon Sanders :puke: again!

Randy Moss :puke:

Hershel Walker had a few good years in the pros at Dallas.

Carson Palmer salvaged his college career late and did well last year in Cincy.

Definitely Marcus Allen.

Keyshawn Johnson :puke:

Lynn Swann

Anthony Munoz

Jamal Lewis (sorta)

How bout Takeo Spikes? Was he a high school phenom? Great college and pro career.

Santana Moss is making a name for himself with the Redskins.

Was Shaun Alexander a big time recruit?

It definitely seems, for the most part, that lineman are the hardest to get right. The top OL recruit four years ago was Derrick Morris. McNeil was a 4 star player but not considered one of the top 4-5 in the nation, but now he is in the top three in most rankings. Getting the top OL in the nation during recruiting usually doesn't usually translate into having a great OL in the next four years (SUBTLE UAT BARB!!! SUBTLE UAT BARB!!!)

How bout Takeo Spikes? Was he a high school phenom? Great college and pro career.

226890[/snapback]

I believe he was. Takeo earned All-American honors from Parade and USA Today during his prep career and was named Georgia's "Mr. Football" by state coaches as a senior. He was also named Georgia Player of the Year as a prep senior by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

We also signed Florida Mr. Football the same year.

Why did Randy Moss go to Marshall?

227032[/snapback]

Randy was kicked off the team at Florida State for violating team rules which must be a lot for Bobby Bowden who never kicks anyone off the team except for top rated recievers, last years #1 reciever Fred Rouse was kicked off for violating team rules , which is funny because 2 of his linebackers were in trouble with the law for domestic violence (ES) and sexual misconduct charges(AJN) and they weren't kicked off the team..... I can only imagine what the recievers did to get kicked off!!!! by the way Randy Moss ran the fastest 40 time ever recorded at Florida State I think it was something like 4.16!

by the way Randy Moss ran the fastest 40 time ever recorded at Florida State I think it was something like 4.16!

227044[/snapback]

Wow - that's saying something, since they usually get fast times down there (especially since they have cops on mopeds behind their players to get them to achieve optimal running speed)

Guest Tigrinum Major

227032[/snapback]

Randy was kicked off the team at Florida State for violating team rules which must be a lot for Bobby Bowden who never kicks anyone off the team except for top rated recievers, last years #1 reciever Fred Rouse was kicked off for violating team rules , which is funny because 2 of his linebackers were in trouble with the law for domestic violence (ES) and sexual misconduct charges(AJN) and they weren't kicked off the team..... I can only imagine what the recievers did to get kicked off!!!! by the way Randy Moss ran the fastest 40 time ever recorded at Florida State I think it was something like 4.16!

227044[/snapback]

Repeated (and I emphasize repeated) drug offenses.

227032[/snapback]

227044[/snapback]

Repeated (and I emphasize repeated) drug offenses.

227189[/snapback]

And his me-first attitude didn't help (his teammates hated him when he didn't share)

There was that Bo Jackson guy. Made a little splash in two pro sports after winning the Heisman. And Deon Sanders comes to mind. :D

:au::homer:

Guest Tigrinum Major
There was that Bo Jackson guy. Made a little splash in two pro sports after winning the Heisman. And Deon Sanders comes to mind.  :D

:au:   :homer:

227232[/snapback]

He wasn't even the top rated running back in the state during high school. In fact, he wasn't even the highest rated prospect at Auburn that year.

Kevin Faulk at LSU was a highschool phenom and probably the nations top rated high school running back when he left high school....I remember reading about him as a incoming freshman(phenom 40 times, vertical jumps and squat #'s). He had a good career at LSU(might be there all time yardage leader. Now he is a run-of-the-mill NFL runningback but he does have a couple superbowl rings (I think) that is about as much as you can expect out of anyone.

Archived