Raven Gray...

Tigermike

If he redshirts in JC, he could enroll at Auburn in January 2008 with 3 years of eligibility left to play 3.

Skies no longer appear Gray

By Granison M. Wagstaff

Enterprise Ledger

Monday, March 27, 2006

Former Enterprise High School standout and Auburn signee Raven Gray has already left the friendly confines of Enterprise, Ala., and has taken his game to the next level one state over.

The do-everything defensive end and tight end departed from town at the end of the fall semester of this school year and enrolled at Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Wesson, Miss. Gray needs to improve his academic standing in order to get into Auburn and meet NCAA requirements for student-athletes.

He came home last week for spring break to unwind and spend time with his family.

Needless to say, Gray will also play football for the Wolves in the fall.

"I have really been trying to concentrate and focus on academics while I am here. I know I put myself in this situation, and I plan to get out of it. It is my ultimate dream to play major college football and make it to the pros. I don’t want to mess up this opportunity," he said.

Since enrolling in January, he has not yet declared a major. He has been getting acclimated taking the required courses needed to prepare him for a four-year university.

"Class is going well. I have been keeping my head in the books. My grades are improving," Grey said.

One benefit that has help Gray, ironically, is the town itself.

Wesson is a rural town about 50 miles south of Jackson, Miss. The city’s population is a shade under 2,000 people. To put that into perspective, Enterprise High School almost has that many students.

"I know many people consider Enterprise small, but its Birmingham compared to Wesson. It’s a good thing though, because there are not a whole lot of distractions. There is really not a whole lot to do. The people in the community are great. They are real accommodating to the students at the school," Grey said.

Wolves football head coach Glen Davis says Gray has been a model student-athlete in his short time here.

"Raven has been a good kid since he got here. I could tell he was a little home sick the first week or two he was here, but I think he is over all that. We have been on him about taking care of business in the classroom. He has done everything we have asked," Davis said.

Gray expressed some of the same sentiments.

"It was hard at first. I really did not want be here the first couple of days," he said.

Just by looking at Gray, it is easy to tell academics, while important, has not been his only focus. It is obvious he is now on a college weight program regiment. He is on a strict workout and eating plan.

Grey departed Enterprise weighing around 245 pounds. He has now bulked up into the neighborhood of 260, 265 pounds. Gray says the facilities are wonderful, and they have all the right tools needed to become a well-conditioned athlete.

"I have been hitting weights hard. Like I said, the town is small, so I mostly just do school, weights, eat and sleep," Grey said.

Adjusting to the speed of the game is the biggest issue facing most college freshmen. Gray is not any different. It overwhelmed him at first, but he adapted quickly.

"The speed of game is definitely a step up. I know this is just junior college, but those jokers up there can run. The first couple of days were a learning experience for me. Once I got it, I just went all out and let the chips fall wherever," Gray said.

Copiah-Lincoln recently completed spring practices. By the end, Grey grabbed one the starting defensive end positions. A slight shoulder injury slowed him down the last couple days of practice, but Grey has recovered and is doing fine. He has also managed to hold on to his No. 43 jersey.

"We are going to play him with his hand in the ground at defensive end mostly. We plan to do a lot of different things with him similar to how Auburn plans to use him. He is everything as advertised. Coach Collins and his staff did a great job getting him ready for us," Davis said.

Gray says he likes the team and everyone seems to click well. The sophomores on the squad have been valuable in showing the ins and outs of how things work around the campus and in the football program.

"The Mississippi guys have been so helpful. We have players on the team from all over the southeast. This team is loaded with talent," he said.

Gray says he has enjoyed his break and is glad to be back home for a short time to catch up with friends. But, he knows he must go back. A bright future appears to be waiting for him if he wants it.

"It’s been so good to be back for this short time. I want to thank those around town who have supported me. I plan to do whatever it takes to get where I want to be," he said.

link

It really came as no surprise that he is going to a JuCo, as I had heard his grades weren't up to par. He is the best player we've had come through Enterprise since Thomas Bailey (remember him?)

He was a beast on the field, and seems to be an all around nice guy. Once he gets his grades up, he will be a great asset to Auburn.

EHS Class of '98

Go Wildcats!

thanks for the update. i like this guy and i think he will be a great asset to auburn in the near future.

i like how the writer of this article used grey and gray to spell his last name.

Guest Tigrinum Major
thanks for the update. i like this guy and i think he will be a great asset to auburn in the near future.

i like how the writer of this article used grey and gray to spell his last name.

227822[/snapback]

I like that he's on strict exercise and diet regiments

:rolleyes:

227831[/snapback]

It's the Enterprise Ledger. It's not like you're reading The Randolph Leader or Pickens County Herald, guys.

Cut the hack small town journalist some slack.

Just a tidbit for you:

Granison Wagstaff (the writer of the article) also played football at Enterprise High, and was a heck of a linebacker in his day.

Ok, that's enough Enterprise High School trivia for one day. :D

Hey, I am just surprised anyone noticed!

I was on a 11 day hiatus from AUNation due to getting married / honeymooning. I had to take up smoking just to deal with it!

I am back, though, so you can be looking for my .6 posts/day with great anticipation.

Archived