Hope...er, delusion..springs eternal

quietfan

As they say, opinions are like a$$#oles, everybody has one; but some delusional opinions never change:

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41116

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fact or Fiction - Are we better than Auburn right now

I think we are a step ahead of Auburn right now. We are going to be a totally different team from last year. We will have a very sound offense and defense that will get better as the season goes on. Besides a few mistakes on offense today, our offense moved the ball with ease. It looks like we will have a deep threat in DJ Hall and a good route runner in Matt Cadell. The O-line is getting better, the running backs are there, and the special teams are solid. Auburn seems like they have lost some on offense even though they didn't show much of the playbook in their A-day. AU will still have a tremendous defense and a solid special teams.

My Question to all of you: Are we a better team than AU right now?

They must be a step ahead of us...that's why we're getting preseason Top Ten and MNC contention talk, while the highest I've seen them mentioned is in the weaker teens.

[To be fair, some of the Bama fans responding this took a more moderate, realistic view of their situation.]

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As they say, opinions are like a$$#oles, everybody has one; but some delusional opinions never change:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we are a step ahead of Auburn right now. We are going to be a totally different team from last year. We will have a very sound offense and defense that will get better as the season goes on. Besides a few mistakes on offense today, our offense moved the ball with ease. It looks like we will have a deep threat in DJ Hall and a good route runner in Matt Cadell. The O-line is getting better, the running backs are there, and the special teams are solid. Auburn seems like they have lost some on offense even though they didn't show much of the playbook in their A-day. AU will still have a tremendous defense and a solid special teams.

They must be a step ahead of us...that's why we're getting preseason Top Ten and MNC contention talk, while the highest I've seen them mentioned is in the weaker teens.

[To be fair, some of the Bama fans responding this took a more moderate, realistic view of their situation.]

228580[/snapback]

Knowing what we know about their offensive...um...prowess. I think their scrimmage highlighted exactly what they lost on the other side of the ball.

They're going to be a very, very mediocre team this season.

I wish certain fans we not allowed to use a computer. I understand this guy wants the best for his team, but he is not being realistic at all.

April 1st, 2006, 07:48 PM    #2 

HammerJammer

BamaNation First Team

Posts: 403  at this point auburn is more proven at the qb position. i'm not sure where they stand defensively, but if they lost fewer players on "d" than we did than i'd say at best we'd be at a draw comparing defenses. so, right now, i think the evidence points to auburn. come next november, though, those losers will be eating our dust.

He makes a point, then utterly defeats his own point a sentence later. But If you look at it differently, I guess we could eath their dust, considering they will be falling backwards as we are strolling our way to the top.

228580[/snapback]

Knowing what we know about their offensive...um...prowess. I think their scrimmage highlighted exactly what they lost on the other side of the ball.

228584[/snapback]

My assessment EXACTLY. They lost seven starters on D...and their woeful offense had a veritable field day in the first half! Sheesh....

:au::homer:

228580[/snapback]

228584[/snapback]

My assessment EXACTLY. They lost seven starters on D...and their woeful offense had a veritable field day in the first half! Sheesh....

228626[/snapback]

Something else to consider:

The defense is generally "ahead" of the offense in spring ball.

228580[/snapback]

228584[/snapback]

228626[/snapback]

Something else to consider:

The defense is generally "ahead" of the offense in spring ball.

228627[/snapback]

EGGGGG-Zactly! B)

While I do think we will have a good defense next year...its all based on potential and speculation. Therefore, you CANT assume we will be better when AU has players and depth on D from guys who have seen a lot of PT.

Offensively, we will be much improved from last year. Especially on the Oline. We will have the deepest group of RBs and FBs in the SEC. And if everyone stays healthy, a good corps of WRs.

The problem is, the O will HAVE to be improved from last year just to keep pace...since we will probably give up more points on D this season than last.

Until proven otherwise, AU has the better team on paper leading into 06.

While I do think we will have a good defense next year...its all based on potential and speculation. Therefore, you CANT assume we will be better when AU has players and depth on D from guys who have seen a lot of PT.

Offensively, we will be much improved from last year. Especially on the Oline. We will have the deepest group of RBs and FBs in the SEC. And if everyone stays healthy, a good corps of WRs.

The problem is, the O will HAVE to be improved from last year just to keep pace...since we will probably give up more points on D this season than last.

228773[/snapback]

That's pretty much what I've been thinking, BG. Even if you show improvement on offense, I think what you lose on defense will be a greater factor. Combine that with your murderous road schedule and I don't see anyway of duplicating 10-2 again. 8-4 regular season seems about right, 9-3 or 7-5 wouldn't be unreasonable, IMO. [How much pressure would be on Shula with a 7-5 and loss to Auburn year?]

I don't really know what to expect from your offense. O-line can't be any worse, but will it be significantly better? Running backs and receivers are solid, similar to last year, but new QB is a big ?, IMO, even if some think JPW is the second coming of Namath/Stabler/Croyle/etc. JPW may well end up with a solid career, but any new QB is a concern and Shularadar, your two-headed OC, is no Al Borges.

Biggest factor might just be leadership, though. Those Seniors you graduated "held the rope" through some very tough times. It's going to be very hard to replace that sort of team leadership.

Until PROVEN otherwise, uat has NO o-line.....None.

Defense will be about 60% of the '05 version.

In short, 8-4 will be a good goal. 7-5 will not shock me at all.

Flipper will be gone (darn it!) with yet another loss to Coach Tuberville.

228773[/snapback]

The deepest group of RBs and FBs in the SEC? No, I don't think so. Not even close. Not even the deepest group in the SEC-W. At least two teams ahead of UA there.

228773[/snapback]

The deepest group of RBs and FBs in the SEC? No, I don't think so. Not even close. Not even the deepest group in the SEC-W. At least two teams ahead of UA there.

228800[/snapback]

Shhhhhhh...Don't tell 'em Ghost. Let 'em get real excited. :D;)

What's lost on us here is the complete and utter role reversal and perception change.

For those of you who lived through the 70s do you remember the question AU fans asked every spring? Allow me to refresh your memory. It was "Are we better than Alabama?" We had hope, we had dreams, we had aspirations. We were fooling ourselves. Alabama in the 70s was a better program. You can argue all day as to the (cheating) reasons why, but it was a simple fact.

Do you remember the question Bama fans each spring in the 70s? It wasn't "are we better than Auburn." It was "can we win the SEC/NC?"

Fast forward to 2006. What question are they asking? And what questions are Auburn fans pondering? I don't know about you, but I take being better than Alabama pretty much for granted and have for most of the last 25 years. The only time it wasn't true was during a few of the Stallings years. Even when they snuck up and won a game against AU, it didn't do much to change anybody's perception. AU has been and remains the better football program. As I consider it, it's been that way for most of my life and yours too. It's hard for most of them -- and some of us (me included), though -- to blot out those awful 70s.

What's lost on us here is the complete and utter role reversal and perception change. 

For those of you who lived through the 70s do you remember the question AU fans asked every spring?  Allow me to refresh your memory.  It was "Are we better than Alabama?"  We had hope, we had dreams, we had aspirations. We were fooling ourselves. Alabama in the 70s was a better program. You can argue all day as to the (cheating) reasons why, but it was a simple fact.

Do you remember the question Bama fans each spring in the 70s?  It wasn't "are we better than Auburn."  It was "can we win the SEC/NC?" 

Fast forward to 2006.  What question are they asking?  And what questions are Auburn fans pondering?  I don't know about you, but I take being better than Alabama pretty much for granted and have for most of the last 25 years.  The only time it wasn't true was during a few of the Stallings years.  Even when they snuck up and won a game against AU, it didn't do much to change anybody's perception.  AU has been and remains the better football program. As I consider it, it's been that way for most of my life and yours too.  It's hard for most of them -- and some of us (me included), though -- to blot out those awful 70s.

228815[/snapback]

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great observations.

WAR EAGLE!

228773[/snapback]

228800[/snapback]

<Rainman rushes to BG03's side>

Well TECHNICALLY the clever use of the conjuction "AND" buys him a little lee-way. I don't know what LSU has at FB, but Auburn is bone dry right now. Deepest at RB is laughable. But they may surely have us beat at FB. (Though one back sets and two-RB sets have been the norm lately).

We've got FOUR RB's whom have played significant roles (3/4 have started before), plus freshman phenom Ben Tate who may have to play the waiting game.

Im telling you guys...write it down...deepest group of RBs and FBs COLLECTIVELY in the SEC.

It was obvious last year that our FB corps was well ahead of others...and McCLain and Castille both return.

Darby was the best RB in the SEC last year considering the line he had to run behind. And we return Coffee who played well last year...and Jimmy Johns who tore it up when he got in the games. NOBODY wants to tackle him in practice and he's had an awesome spring.

Thats not me being a bama homer. Thats based on last year and everyone coming back healthy.

To say RB alone is laughable makes no sense considering what our RBs did last season. Ken Darby if not the best in the SEC is a close second. And Jimmy Johns brings something to the table that no other RB in the SEC has shown. And where you have Tate, we have Roy Upchurch who had a great spring.

Im telling you guys...write it down...deepest group of RBs and FBs COLLECTIVELY in the SEC.

It was obvious last year that our FB corps was well ahead of others...and McCLain and Castille both return.

Darby was the best RB in the SEC last year considering the line he had to run behind. And we return Coffee who played well last year...and Jimmy Johns who tore it up when he got in the games. NOBODY wants to tackle him in practice and he's had an awesome spring.

Thats not me being a bama homer. Thats based on last year and everyone coming back healthy.

To say RB alone is laughable makes no sense considering what our RBs did last season. Ken Darby if not the best in the SEC is a close second. And Jimmy Johns brings something to the table that no other RB in the SEC has shown. And where you have Tate, we have Roy Upchurch who had a great spring.

228891[/snapback]

Sorry, BG. That's based on you being a Bama homer all the way. 100%.

Darby was not the best back in the SEC. You can't make excuses like him needing a better line. If so, then I would have been the best back in the SEC. I just needed a bigger line. For that matter, Tre Smith was probably the best back in the SEC if he just had more carries, a bulldozer in front of him and a ball taped to his hands. (Sorry, Tre, just making a point).

Maybe you're impressed with McClain and Castille but they're not on anybody else's radar.

Jimmy Johns has yet to do squat. The only table he's been to so far is the buffet table. When he actually contributes then maybe you can lump him in there.

What you're doing is making assumptions based on vaporous potential. Bama may have the POTENTIAL to have the best backfield in the SEC, but even that's a pretty fair stretch.

Both Auburn and LSU have significantly better backfields both in terms of current AND potential talent.

Darby was not the best back in the SEC. You can't make excuses like him needing a better line. If so, then I would have been the best back in the SEC. I just needed a bigger line. For that matter, Tre Smith was probably the best back in the SEC if he just had more carries, a bulldozer in front of him and a ball taped to his hands. (Sorry, Tre, just making a point).

Maybe you're impressed with McClain and Castille but they're not on anybody else's radar.

Jimmy Johns has yet to do squat. The only table he's been to so far is the buffet table. When he actually contributes then maybe you can lump him in there.

What you're doing is making assumptions based on vaporous potential. Bama may have the POTENTIAL to have the best backfield in the SEC, but even that's a pretty fair stretch.

Both Auburn and LSU have significantly better backfields both in terms of current AND potential talent.

I know youve seen a few football games before. So Im sure you are familiar with what a good oline can do for your running game. The ONLY people who would say Darby wouldnt have been more productive are those who are AU fans.

It was OBVIOUS to everyone that Darby was having to make moves 4 and 5 yards deep just to get back to even.

So tell me...UNLESS you think AUs Oline was as bad as bamas...why is it that Darby got only 51 fewer yards on 17 fewer carries? (thats a 5.2 ypc avg compared to Irons' 5.1) Do YOU think you could have gained 1242 yards last year behind any Oline? Much less one that allowed 37 sacks?

And you are on drugs if you dont think people have been talking about our FBs. EVERYONE talks about our FBs. How can you say that AU has better FBs when even your own FANS say you are terribly thin there? I dont even know who AUs FBs are.

Who is LSU returning that is far better than Alabama? Ohhhh maybe it was Addai who had 911 yards in 13 games? Yeah...thats better than 1200+. LSU's other two RBs averaged 4.0 yards per touch. So not a single 1,000 yard rusher at LSU...and not one of them averaged over 5.0. Quick, name a FB for LSU.

Jimmy Johns averaged 5.3 ypc last year. And he had never played RB...ever.

LeRon McClain had 140 yds receiving (7.8 per) and 2 TDs last year. And he's a BLOCKING FB.

Between you and pcola...ive NEVER met anyone else SO insistent on not giving bama any credit. I mean...you've got to be the only SEC football fan who thinks our Fullbacks suck. And even further...think AUs are better.

I know youve seen a few football games before. So Im sure you are familiar with what a good oline can do for your running game. The ONLY people who would say Darby wouldnt have been more productive are those who are AU fans.

It was OBVIOUS to everyone that Darby was having to make moves 4 and 5 yards deep just to get back to even.

So tell me...UNLESS you think AUs Oline was as bad as bamas...why is it that Darby got only 51 fewer yards on 17 fewer carries? (thats a 5.2 ypc avg compared to Irons' 5.1) Do YOU think you could have gained 1242 yards last year behind any Oline? Much less one that allowed 37 sacks?

And you are on drugs if you dont think people have been talking about our FBs. EVERYONE talks about our FBs. How can you say that AU has better FBs when even your own FANS say you are terribly thin there? I dont even know who AUs FBs are.

Who is LSU returning that is far better than Alabama? Ohhhh maybe it was Addai who had 911 yards in 13 games? Yeah...thats better than 1200+. LSU's other two RBs averaged 4.0 yards per touch. So not a single 1,000 yard rusher at LSU...and not one of them averaged over 5.0. Quick, name a FB for LSU.

Jimmy Johns averaged 5.3 ypc last year. And he had never played RB...ever.

LeRon McClain had 140 yds receiving (7.8 per) and 2 TDs last year. And he's a BLOCKING FB.

Between you and pcola...ive NEVER met anyone else SO insistent on not giving bama any credit. I mean...you've got to be the only SEC football fan who thinks our Fullbacks suck. And even further...think AUs are better.

228897[/snapback]

Wrong O. You missed the point entirely. This isn't a discussion of which team has better fullbacks. I could care less about fullbacks. Auburn doesn't even have any. Auburn rarely uses a fullback.

The point here is that you said Bama's backfield is the SEC's best. Everybody laughed. Well, first they pointed and THEN they laughed, but you get the picture.

Man for man, Auburn's backfield is better than Alabama's. There's nothing you can say, nothing you can show, nothing you can do to make it any different.

Man for man, LSU's backfield is better than Alabama's. Ditto.

Get right down to it, Arkansas has an argument there, too.

In all this whining about Alabama's backfield being better IF... (remind anyone else of the "we won the third quarter" argument?) the most important realiztion from the original post of this thread is the change in perception. I noticed it and commented on it, but BG03's clever attempt at subterfuge by loudly proclaiming something he knows is not true has had its intended effect and that realization has been muted. It is siginficant enough that I feel led to say it again:

For those of you who lived through the 70s do you remember the question AU fans asked every spring? Allow me to refresh your memory. It was "Are we better than Alabama?" We had hope, we had dreams, we had aspirations. We were fooling ourselves. Alabama in the 70s was a better program. You can argue all day as to the (cheating) reasons why, but it was a simple fact.

Do you remember the question Bama asked fans each spring in the 70s? It wasn't "are we better than Auburn." They were and they knew it. It was "can we win the SEC/NC?"

Fast forward to 2006. What question are they asking today? And what questions are Auburn fans pondering? I don't know about you, but I take being better than Alabama pretty much for granted and have for most of the last 25 years. The only time it wasn't true was during a few of the Stallings years. Even when they snuck up and won a game against AU, it didn't do much to change anybody's perception of the overall program. AU has been and remains the better football program. As I consider it, it's been that way for most of my life and yours too. It's just hard for most of them -- and some of us (me included), though -- to blot out those awful 70s and let them go.

In all this whining about Alabama's backfield being better IF... (remind anyone else of the "we won the third quarter" argument?)  the most important realiztion from the original post of this thread is the change in perception.  I noticed it and commented on it, but BG03's clever attempt at subterfuge by loudly proclaiming something he knows is not true has had its intended effect and that realization has been muted.  It is siginficant enough that I feel led to say it again:

Do you remember the question Bama asked fans each spring in the 70s? It wasn't "are we better than Auburn." They were and they knew it. It was "can we win the SEC/NC?"

Fast forward to 2006. What question are they asking today? And what questions are Auburn fans pondering? I don't know about you, but I take being better than Alabama pretty much for granted and have for most of the last 25 years. The only time it wasn't true was during a few of the Stallings years. Even when they snuck up and won a game against AU, it didn't do much to change anybody's perception of the overall program. AU has been and remains the better football program. As I consider it, it's been that way for most of my life and yours too. It's just hard for most of them -- and some of us (me included), though -- to blot out those awful 70s and let them go.

228901[/snapback]

I guess I ignored your last diatribe since I thought you were joking because you said "The only time it wasn't true was during a few of the Stallings years. Even when they snuck up and won a game against AU, it didn't do much to change anybody's perception." What a freaking joke. I didnt respond because it was laughable.

Stallings was 5-2 against AU. But here again...you COMPLETELY ignore logic and facts and go off on whatever tangent you are feeling at the time that allows you to make yourself feel better about how great you think AU is.

Yeah...EVERYBODY knew bama was nobody during the stallings era...he only had 4 straight 10 win seasons, 4 straight divisional titles, an SEC championship and a national title. But Im sure youll dig up some "fact" (by fact i mean one of your opinions) about how we cheated in 92 and Auburn deserved the title but the mean ole media was doing us a solid as an homage to Coach Bryant.

Galen...why did you skirt my statistical backing i provided for Alabama's running backs?

Please respond to my question about why you think Auburn's Oline was as bad as Alabamas.

I back up my claims with facts and you back them up with your opinion in a condescending manner...just because you look down your nose at me with your post...doesnt make you right.

In all this whining about Alabama's backfield being better IF... (remind anyone else of the "we won the third quarter" argument?)  the most important realiztion from the original post of this thread is the change in perception.  I noticed it and commented on it, but BG03's clever attempt at subterfuge by loudly proclaiming something he knows is not true has had its intended effect and that realization has been muted.  It is siginficant enough that I feel led to say it again:

228901[/snapback]

I guess I ignored your last diatribe since I thought you were joking because you said "The only time it wasn't true was during a few of the Stallings years. Even when they snuck up and won a game against AU, it didn't do much to change anybody's perception." What a freaking joke. I didnt respond because it was laughable.

Stallings was 5-2 against AU. But here again...you COMPLETELY ignore logic and facts and go off on whatever tangent you are feeling at the time that allows you to make yourself feel better about how great you think AU is.

Yeah...EVERYBODY knew bama was nobody during the stallings era...he only had 4 straight 10 win seasons, 4 straight divisional titles, an SEC championship and a national title. But Im sure youll dig up some "fact" (by fact i mean one of your opinions) about how we cheated in 92 and Auburn deserved the title but the mean ole media was doing us a solid as an homage to Coach Bryant.

228904[/snapback]

I gave you some of the Stallings years. Bama was better then. But that was the only time Bama's been in that overall position in relation to AU in the last 25.

I guess you missed that part.

You misread my intent on the "snuck up" comment. Wasn't referring to the Stallings era, but the other wins in the series. Other than when Stallings was there (and then not for all of that period) when Bama won, it was winning a game but still losing the war. That hasn't really substantially changed over the last two and a half decades. Bama wins a battle here and there. It happens. But the war remains in Auburn's favor.

Alabama has better fullbacks because Auburn doesn't really use fullbacks. I don't think AU had but one on the roster and he is injured. They'll get by using Irons, Stewart, Smith, Lester, Tate, a few tight ends (my word, isn't Auburn stocked at THAT position) and a receiver or two in that slot. Are you satisfied? It's all you get. I have no intention of rehashing your best backfield subterfuge because as you said, I find it "laughable".

It isn't condescension, BG, if it's true. I'm just trying to help you out.

Archived