Blown Calls

JohnDeere

I personally didn't see pass interferencein the '02 UGA game. I blame that play on Rodrick Hood who took himself out of the game the play before....then the Johnson, I think< made a great play over our second string DB, can't remember his name.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but our guy just didn't make the play. It's that simple. The game should have never come down to that, but if it had, I'd like to think that our man could knock the ball away, or at the very least, interfer w/ the receiver and make UGA go for it at our 10.

Worst missed calls

Sugar Bowl vs FSU. Deion, of all people, right in the middle of the field , about takes off Freddy's helment. If Reggie throws the ball up, and Freddie has to jump for it, ballgame.

UAT - Frank clearly was over the 1st down marker. It's a blatent blown call. Far worse than the out of bounds call bammers whine and cry about in '95.

Non spotting of the ball vs UGA. I know they don't have to stop the clock, but c'mon refs... the game is still being played!

Brent Fullwood being called 'down' when he never stopped moving, wasn't brought down and spun away for the go ahead T.D. Bogus.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone great to be aboard...!!

I'm a loyal AU supporter ever since around 1981.

Well I think we got robbed on the Deon Sanders(back ride) as well as the..We won't spot the ball untill youl lose game against UGA.

But here's an opinion on the, "one bad call doesn't lose a game" scenario.The main rebutal to this question is.....Well the team should have did "MORE" and we wouldn't have to worry about one bad call.Well that's kind of a hind sighted thing,isn't it?In other words be perfect and bad calls won't effect you.?Yeh but that's really hard to do.When you play a team that is basically on the same level as you are in nearly every aspect of the game(say a UGA),it very much can come down to one play.Now if it's the weather both teams have to play in it,but a bad call is very much one sided(nothing like the weather).It could be just as simple as a balance scale with the variable being a call, and a bad one at that, to tip the scales.With the only response to be is,"well we should have had more weight on our side".Every team wants to win and should have a fair chance to..bad calls can be filtered out ...IF...demanded to be filtered out.I thank God all the time for instant replay monitoring.

One bad call CAN cost a game and has.

Great to be here and GREAT to be an AUBURN TIGER!!!!!!

Officiating has never decided a game in any sport... EVER!!!!

231871[/snapback]

Then when do we know the game's over...DA da duh(cymbol splash) :)

231871[/snapback]

So if Auburn's down one and John Vaughn kicks a FG that goes right over the top of one of the uprights, officiating didn't decide it?

I also reference the Miami/Ohio State NC game a few years back - phantom pass interference call on 4th down in OT.

231871[/snapback]

So if Auburn's down one and John Vaughn kicks a FG that goes right over the top of one of the uprights, officiating didn't decide it?

I also reference the Miami/Ohio State NC game a few years back - phantom pass interference call on 4th down in OT.

231876[/snapback]

to answer your questions....1.) No, Vaughns kick decided it (which in your scenario would be NO GOOD, by the way) 2.) How many snaps did each team get in that particular game? 60? 75? more? That one play while extremely memorable, did not decide that game. Games are a series of missed opportunities, not the fault of the officials.

I agree with everyone that said that bad calls can not be used as a valid excuse for losing a game. But just for fun, how about the 2004 LSU/Auburn game? Auburn got a 2nd chance at a FG they missed. :P

231871[/snapback]

231876[/snapback]

to answer your questions....1.) No, Vaughns kick decided it (which in your scenario would be NO GOOD, by the way) 2.) How many snaps did each team get in that particular game? 60? 75? more? That one play while extremely memorable, did not decide that game. Games are a series of missed opportunities, not the fault of the officials.

231887[/snapback]

First yes there are a lot of snaps in a game,yes there are missed opportunities like dropped passes fumbles etc.... BUT that's the TEAMS fault that's human error in the HANDS ON SENSE....we're talking of a judgement error of an outside force that can be monitored by play back.This judgement error however human it may be is totally different that fumbles and ints,and just not-getting-the-job-done.

Everything in a game effects the game...EVERYTHING and while weather conditions, lack luster play,injuries,and fumble-I-tist have come up at times,those are part of the game that you can honestly live with(you may not like it but..).

What you are basically saying is, in a sense,that there shouldn't be a close game.The game should have been decided earlier.

My friends officials are there to make it fair ,they are the monitors,but they are human and need to be monitored as well.

No a five yard face mask won't change a game,but a 15 yard personal foul that was not called for can,has and will be a momentum change especially late in a game.

If a game IS a series of missed opportunities...THEN the REFS have MISSED opportunities as well.They factor in as well as any variable.

Here's a wierd example...you have a credit card payment you pay it on a certain time of the month for 100 bucks,you have the money in the bank and send it in on time....well the bank only pays 90 dollars,for some unknown reason and you're charged for not making the correct minimum payment.You being the home team,the bank being the officials and the credit card being the visitor.What you're basically saying is you should have sent more money in the first place and this wouldn't have happened.No it's the banks fault.

With this frame of mind every bad situation can be avoided by simply being perfect because you shouldn't blame anyone else even if it is their fault. :)

231871[/snapback]

USA/USSR Olympic Basketball, 1972

The refs didn't decide this one?

231919[/snapback]

NOPE...

231928[/snapback]

darn refs ain't good fer nuthing.hehe

Guest Tigrinum Major

Just as a point of reference, you guys need to realize that aupcola and myself are officials in various sports. Our prespective is a little different, as you might imagine.

You all have your opinions and we have ours. Not to speak for him, but you aren't going to change my mind on this one and I doubt you will his either.

Just as a point of reference, you guys need to realize that aupcola and myself are officials in various sports.  Our prespective is a little different, as you might imagine. 

You all have your opinions and we have ours.  Not to speak for him, but you aren't going to change my mind on this one and I doubt you will his either.

231933[/snapback]

That explains a lot. :roflol:

I'm not out to change anyone's mind.I just want to prove I'm right. :roflol:

231871[/snapback]

I wouldn't agree with that.

We were playing in the finals of a soccer tourney in Houston, game went to sudden death overtime. I got trapped on the line inside the box with no angle for shot and passing lanes shut down. Attempting to turn on a wet field to play the ball off the defender to earn a corner I slipped. Ref called a PK when it shoudn't have been, our guy hits the upper 90 game over we win the hardware.

PK's will decide games in soccer which is why you see them very difficult to earn. I know this from experience as a player and a ref.

Power plays in OT in hockey are the same way, you will rarely see them given especially during the playoffs.

The refs in those two sports realize the impact that those calls (knowing they can decide the game) have on those games and unless it is something severe and blatant they will not call it.

In both those sports you will see refs wave off obvious penalties, especially late in games or OT situations, and the analyst will follow with the comment the refs are going to let the players decide this one.

I dunno, I think some of you all are crazy

If a guy is not in bounds and catches a ball in the endzone and they call it a TD...which is incorrect...it does change the outcome and thus the win/loss of the game.

I think an official can screw a team out of a win with a call like that.

I'm not out to change anyone's mind.I just want to prove I'm right. :roflol:

231935[/snapback]

Unpossible.

231937[/snapback]

All right let's start with a simple question.

IF...officials do NOT decide the out come of a game....then why throw the flag at all?

Guest Tigrinum Major

Look, I am not saying that a blown call doesn't happen, they do. I saw one today on the baseball field. Kid was out by half a step and the ump called him safe. He admitted later that he blew it and I respect him for that.

My contention is that one play does not decide a game, whether it happens in the first quarter or the last second. There is a series of events and plays that happen to determine the outcome of a game. When a play happens later, people tend to look at it as a game changing play, when it reality, there are about 120 plays (in a football game) that all come together to determine the winner and loser.

Can officials influence a game? Certainly. But one blown call (and they have even happened to me), even late, does not a ballgame make.

And just to clarify, I am not a football official, but to answer your question, the player that committed the perceived action that caused the flag to be thrown influenced the game at that point, not the official.

And with that, I bid you all good luck and good night.

I dunno, I think some of you all are crazy

If a guy is not in bounds and catches a ball in the endzone and they call it a TD...which is incorrect...it does change the outcome and thus the win/loss of the game.

I think an official can screw a team out of a win with a call like that.

231940[/snapback]

I dunno Slink,I think the popular thinking is to have scored at least a touchdown and a fieldgoal,before something like this comes up. :) Oh well.

I dunno Slink,I think the popular thinking is to have scored at least a touchdown and a fieldgoal,before something like this comes up. :)   Oh well.

231946[/snapback]

Right but the fact still remains that if the TD pass was thrown with 2 seconds left and it isn't a real TD...it changed the outcome

I dunno Slink,I think the popular thinking is to have scored at least a touchdown and a fieldgoal,before something like this comes up. :)   Oh well.

231946[/snapback]

Right but the fact still remains that if the TD pass was thrown with 2 seconds left and it isn't a real TD...it changed the outcome

231947[/snapback]

I know ,I totally agree 100 percent.I've seen it happen.

But again they're thinking that with all the chances you have you should have the ability to score on every play and in theory you do but we all know that's a fairy tale.So here's to all you Juggernauts that don't miss opportunities,and don't have to worry about phantom TD's and 5th downs. :cheer:

I think it was the '87 Sugar bowl. We were down by less than a TD. Freddie Weygan got his head knoked from behind on their 1 yd line. The ball never hit his hands, just the top of his helment. The next play, Deion Sanders intercepts. No way Freddie was dropping that.

231446[/snapback]

I was watching that one...what a ridiculous call. And two others I remember were the "Burn the building down" game against LS_Who...when our guy clearly scored the winning TD, with a great catch in the end zone...and they ruled him out of bounds...ESPN showed the mark when he dragged the foot all night....

And the other one was the game where we led Bamar 3-0 in the mud in Legion Field...their center tackles out linebacker...and Stabler runs 49 yards, and they give it to Bamar 7-3. Only time I EVER saw Shug hammer the officials on his Sunday show. He was livid.... Horrible calls :puke:

:au::homer:

A game is 60 minutes. Blaming one call is negating the other 59 minutes, 30 sec. Even with multiple bad calls, most of the game does not involve the refs' intrusion. Don't blame the refs for a few bad calls when you aren't scoring during all those plays the refs aren't calling.

not directing this at you, just using this for reference. someone else said it too, a bad call in the 1st 59:30 can be overcome. they will all wash out eventually. a bad call in the last :30 is a killer. usually it leaves no time to do anything else.

also the timing of a legit call. the PAT retry in the 04 lsu game. that was a legit call, just the timing of when the call was made was the killer for lsu.

and the 96 (?) ga game. the 4 OT game. whatever year it was. anyway, 4th qtr, time about to run out, ga is scrambling to the line to get off a play they never would have gotten off before time ran out. no time outs. 1 of auburn's DL picks up the ball and hands it to the referee so he can spot the ball, actually helping the refs get the ball back into play quicker. penalty is called on auburn for delay of game, leaving :01 on the clock. ga has time to get their composure and bobo hits about a 50 yd td tying the game and allowing the 4 OT's. the call was legit, just the timing of the call was the killer for auburn.

i see that same thing in games every year with no call made. i call it from my seat every time, but it never gets called.

Archived