Blown Calls

JohnDeere

What AU games do you remember that the Tigers had a real chance to win, but due to a blown call or poor officiating; the scoreboard reflected an AU loss?

#1 in my book, the UGA game 02. Clearly offensive pass interference in the endzone, to give UGA the lead.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm sorry, but i'm of the opinion that bad officiating is part of the game. you have human error by players that cost you games sometimes, and officiating is also part of that. i always laugh at the bammers when they blame a loss on that, because if they had played well enough the game shouldn't have hinged around 1 simple call. it's the same with baseball. the best coach i ever had said, "don't ever let me see you gripe about a called third strike even if it was bad. what were you doing on strikes 1 and 2?"

I personally didn't see pass interferencein the '02 UGA game. I blame that play on Rodrick Hood who took himself out of the game the play before....then the Johnson, I think< made a great play over our second string DB, can't remember his name.

Back to the subject...the one that really sticks out in my mind was when Bo Jackson was playing. I was really young so maybe somebody else can help with the details, but if memory serves correctly, Auburn lost at UGA when Bo Jackson was called down on a VERY QUICK whistle for forward progress before scoring a TD. There was one man between Bo and the goal line and while Bo was running over the DB, the whistle was blown. There was NO WAY that play should have stopped and Auburn should have won the game.

I am not sure why I remember that because that is the only play I remember for that game...it may have been in Auburn too...matter of fact it was...my parents were at the game and left me at home....

I agree completely. The human judgement factor is part of all sports, especially baseball. The strike zone and holding in most cases is a matter of one's own perception of the rules and norms.

But, if you can say with a shadow of doubt that you have never watched any football game and said to yourself (not outloud as bammer would), "that call probably cost us the game and I am not so sure it was the right call", then I would argue that you haven't watched many ball games.

#1 in my book, the UGA game 02. Clearly offensive pass interference in the endzone, to give UGA the lead.

I have seen the video several times and still see no signs whatsoever that he pushed off.

The pictures show both men with their hands on each other and MJ moving his hands away but the video clearly shows no push-off whatsoever

i'm sorry, but i'm of the opinion that bad officiating is part of the game.  you have human error by players that cost you games sometimes, and officiating is also part of that.  i always laugh at the bammers when they blame a loss on that, because if they had played well enough the game shouldn't have hinged around 1 simple call.  it's the same with baseball.  the best coach i ever had said, "don't ever let me see you gripe about a called third strike even if it was bad.  what were you doing on strikes 1 and 2?"

231410[/snapback]

Hes only merely asking a fun question, not giving an opinion on blown calls.

The answer is my Sophomore year for Parsippany Hills High School I was starting fullback for my JV team. We were playing Morristown and we were on our own 3 in the scond quarter. The tailback takes it off tackle and runs for a huge gain...but they flagged me for holding, we had to punt and the rest is history. We lost 45-0 and went 1-9 on the season with only one touchdown...but without that one holding call..who knows...

I have seen the video several times and still see no signs whatsoever that he pushed off.

The pictures show both men with their hands on each other and MJ moving his hands away but the video clearly shows no push-off whatsoever

231432[/snapback]

A coworker pointed it out to me, then I saw the video, it was quick and you had to look for it. The reciever pushed off the defender about the time the ball was let go.

Just because both had their hands on each other doesn't mean there was any push off.

I have seen it several times and don't see anything whatsoever.

I would admit it too if I really thought there was a pushoff.

I think it was the '87 Sugar bowl. We were down by less than a TD. Freddie Weygan got his head knoked from behind on their 1 yd line. The ball never hit his hands, just the top of his helment. The next play, Deion Sanders intercepts. No way Freddie was dropping that.

the really bad no-call in the 02 uga game was the push off by fred gibson on the 3rd and 20 catch about a minute earlier. he actually pushed our db to the ground, a al michael irvin. the td wasn't a penalty, hood slipped and it gave the ugaly receiver the space he needed.

one that kills me was in the lsu game in 1996. we actually scored a TD (adrian karsten even pointed to the footprint our wr left, which was at least a foot in bounds) that was taken away, then missed a fg, and ended up losing by 4.

NO DOUBT THE RECIEVER PUSHED DOWN ON THE SHOULDERS OF THE DEFENDER. HOWEVER THE OFFICAL MADE THE RIGHT CALL BY A NO CALL.

DO NOT HAVE AN OFFICAL DITICATE A GAME BY A CALL(S)

I personally didn't see pass interferencein the '02 UGA game. I blame that play on Rodrick Hood who took himself out of the game the play before....then the Johnson, I think< made a great play over our second string DB, can't remember his name.

Back to the subject...the one that really sticks out in my mind was when Bo Jackson was playing. I was really young so maybe somebody else can help with the details, but if memory serves correctly, Auburn lost at UGA when Bo Jackson was called down on a VERY QUICK whistle for forward progress before scoring a TD. There was one man between Bo and the goal line and while Bo was running over the DB, the whistle was blown. There was NO WAY that play should have stopped and Auburn should have won the game.

I am not sure why I remember that because that is the only play I remember for that game...it may have been in Auburn too...matter of fact it was...my parents were at the game and left me at home....

231412[/snapback]

Quickest whistle I've ever seen--Bo was not even close to being stopped.

Cost Auburn the game.

And re: '02 Georgia game. There was not a flagrant push-off, but the receiver put his hands on our defendere's shoulders as he jumped. It kept our guy from jumping at the same time. I will always believe that Georgia got away with one there.

1994 Alabama game - Frank Sanders gets a first down on a last second drive, horrible horrible spot on 4th down gives Bama the ball, AU loses 21-14

1992 Georgia game - Officials forget to set the ball in play for AU's next play, AU is left at the 1 yard line as time expires..

1992 makes me sick to this day..

the really bad no-call in the 02 uga game was the push off by fred gibson on the 3rd and 20 catch about a minute earlier. he actually pushed our db to the ground, a al michael irvin. the td wasn't a penalty, hood slipped and it gave the ugaly receiver the space he needed.

Yes, that was without doubt a push-off

Fred got away with that a lot

I think it was the '87 Sugar bowl. We were down by less than a TD. Freddie Weygan got his head knoked from behind on their 1 yd line. The ball never hit his hands, just the top of his helment. The next play, Deion Sanders intercepts. No way Freddie was dropping that.

231446[/snapback]

Freddie got mauled on that play by "Prime Time". I swear to this day that those officials moonlighted as WWE referees.

231446[/snapback]

Freddie got mauled on that play by "Prime Time". I swear to this day that those officials moonlighted as WWE referees.

231477[/snapback]

My mother went to her grave 12 years after that game with an especially large loathing of Deon Sanders for that play. I can still hear her yelling about it in my head almost 20 years later. :puke:

My vote is for the '02 UGA NoCall. That one just stung a lot.

'86 uga game. Brent Fullwood was said to have his "Forward progress" stopped.

He scored on the play that would have turned the game.

THAT was one of the most pathetic calls ever, IMHO.

None.  Officiating does not win or lose a game.

231488[/snapback]

That's my feeling, too.

A game is 60 minutes. Blaming one call is negating the other 59 minutes, 30 sec. Even with multiple bad calls, most of the game does not involve the refs' intrusion. Don't blame the refs for a few bad calls when you aren't scoring during all those plays the refs aren't calling.

I agree there are times when you disagree with calls but part of that is the human factor. Without the human factor in all games they are sterille.

Guest Tigrinum Major

My view on this subject is well documented. One call does not make or break a game, one way or the other.

I might not always agree with a call, but I respect the guys that wear the stripes.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Without the human factor in all games they are sterille.

231504[/snapback]

As opposed to prolific?

Without the human factor in all games they are sterille.

231504[/snapback]

As opposed to prolific?

231508[/snapback]

Yea...I guess that is what I was attempting to get at. It is one of the things that makes college football great in my book. I think there is more opportunity for great moments, both individually and by a team.

Archived