Blown Calls

JohnDeere

'86 uga game. Brent Fullwood was said to have his "Forward progress" stopped.

He scored on the play that would have turned the game.

THAT was one of the most pathetic calls ever, IMHO.

231493[/snapback]

That one was a blown call, but without it we wouldn't have been able to see a bunch of Dawgs get hosed at midfield.

BTW, Kenny's run in Red Stick last year looked almost exactly like Fulwood's only from further out. As soon as I saw that, I immediately remembered that call and got mad again...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

231493[/snapback]

That one was a blown call, but without it we wouldn't have been able to see a bunch of Dawgs get hosed at midfield.

BTW, Kenny's run in Red Stick last year looked almost exactly like Fulwood's only from further out. As soon as I saw that, I immediately remembered that call and got mad again...

231533[/snapback]

I could have sworn that was Bo Jackson...Are you talking about the play when he was running down the sideline? That is the one I was talking about...

231493[/snapback]

231533[/snapback]

I could have sworn that was Bo Jackson...Are you talking about the play when he was running down the sideline? That is the one I was talking about...

231537[/snapback]

No, it was Fullwood. He ran into the pile at the line for maybe a half second, then turned left and started a free run toward the North end zone only to hear a whistle blowing the play dead at the LOS. That call alone did not lose the game for Auburn, but it sure didn't help their cause.

huh...like I said, I was young. But I could have sworn there was a play with Bo Jackson on the sideline and a quick whistle there also...oh well...must have been playing football all those years that has faded my mind...or I could have been born like this

the really bad no-call in the 02 uga game was the push off by fred gibson on the 3rd and 20 catch about a minute earlier. he actually pushed our db to the ground, a al michael irvin. the td wasn't a penalty, hood slipped and it gave the ugaly receiver the space he needed.

231451[/snapback]

You beat me to this. I was at the game with a couple of my friends from UGA and they were actually laughing at the play and the fact there was no flag thrown. That play was huge.

Yeah, I think it was that 92 Georgia game. I remember Stan White yelling at the referee to spot the ball, but the ref just stood there and let the clock expire. I couldn't believe that one.

:no:

I remember in I think '97 when Auburn was playing Bama in Auburn and was winning in the 4th quarter when Bama was driving. The QB made a great throw to a Bama WR in the back of the end zone who made a heck of a catch and clearly came down out of bounds...the back judge said the WR had his foot in bounds and called it a TD causing Auburn to lose the ballgame when clearly the call should have gone the other way.........oh wait, it DID happened the other way and that's how we won.....nevermind, carry on :big:

My view on this subject is well documented.  One call does not make or break a game, one way or the other. 

I might not always agree with a call, but I respect the guys that wear the stripes.

231507[/snapback]

Out of curiousity would you say that about the Colorado /Missouri game. 31 seconds left in the game, Missouri up, stuffed 3 times in a row, spike the ball on 4th down. Should be game over, but instead Colorado gets a 5th down and wins the game.

I remember in I think '97 when Auburn was playing Bama in Auburn and was winning in the 4th quarter when Bama was driving. The QB made a great throw to a Bama WR in the back of the end zone who made a heck of a catch and clearly came down out of bounds...the back judge said the WR had his foot in bounds and called it a TD causing Auburn to lose the ballgame when clearly the call should have gone the other way.........oh wait, it DID happened the other way and that's how we won.....nevermind, carry on :big:

231580[/snapback]

That was 1995 - Freddie Kitchens to Curtis Brown.. he was out.

By the way, Phil Snow labeled that game when he retired a year or two ago as the best Iron Bowl he'd ever witnessed for just a superb game.

My view on this subject is well documented.  One call does not make or break a game, one way or the other. 

I might not always agree with a call, but I respect the guys that wear the stripes.

231507[/snapback]

Out of curiousity would you say that about the Colorado /Missouri game. 31 seconds left in the game, Missouri up, stuffed 3 times in a row, spike the ball on 4th down. Should be game over, but instead Colorado gets a 5th down and wins the game.

231581[/snapback]

Personally I would contend that you don't get in a situation where one play beats you.

231507[/snapback]

231581[/snapback]

Personally I would contend that you don't get in a situation where one play beats you.

231583[/snapback]

That would be ideal but how realistic is that, there is always going to be evenly matched teams that it comes down to who has the ball last. Missouri did what it was suppose to, it had the lead and stopped Colorado from scoring. Without the 5th down it would have been victory formation time.

231507[/snapback]

231581[/snapback]

It should also be noted that GT likely wouldn't have had to share the NC if it wasn't for the 5th down.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Out of curiousity would you say that about the Colorado /Missouri game.  31 seconds left in the game, Missouri up, stuffed 3 times in a row, spike the ball on 4th down.  Should be game over, but instead Colorado gets a 5th down and wins the game.

231581[/snapback]

Baddddddd call. I would suspend the crew. But not take away the victory.

There was something quirky that confused everyone involved. It was human error.

Did that play directly affect the outcome of the game? Probably, but so did the earlier scores by Missouri and Colorado.

231507[/snapback]

231581[/snapback]

231583[/snapback]

That would be ideal but how realistic is that, there is always going to be evenly matched teams that it comes down to who has the ball last. Missouri did what it was suppose to, it had the lead and stopped Colorado from scoring. Without the 5th down it would have been victory formation time.

231585[/snapback]

I understand that it is not always going to happen, but unless you can say that there were no mistakes at all made by one team and they still lost then it is only a blame shift in my book. IMO.

It should also be noted that GT likely wouldn't have had to share the NC if it wasn't for the 5th down.

231589[/snapback]

Go 5th down!

231507[/snapback]

231581[/snapback]

231583[/snapback]

231585[/snapback]

Gotta agree with the texan on this one. I personally believe that, as eveidenced form this game, that officiating can affect the outcome of a game. I don't believe it happens very often, but human error in officiating can have an outcome on a ball game as much as your accountants miscalculation has on your pocketbook.

You thinks the bahr didn't have some officials in his pockets during his days at the crapstone. If he cheated one way I am sure he cheated others!!

Out of curiousity would you say that about the Colorado /Missouri game.  31 seconds left in the game, Missouri up, stuffed 3 times in a row, spike the ball on 4th down.  Should be game over, but instead Colorado gets a 5th down and wins the game.

231581[/snapback]

Baddddddd call. I would suspend the crew. But not take away the victory.

There was something quirky that confused everyone involved. It was human error.

Did that play directly affect the outcome of the game? Probably, but so did the earlier scores by Missouri and Colorado.

231593[/snapback]

Yea, but TM, take away that error and the outcome was different!! Thus the human error changed the outcome of the game. At the point the other scores were irrelevant. It was crunch time, Missouri D did its job, Colorado O did not, insert the officiating error and the Colorado wins instead of Mizzou, who had it one.

231507[/snapback]

231581[/snapback]

231583[/snapback]

231585[/snapback]

I understand that it is not always going to happen, but unless you can say that there were no mistakes at all made by one team and they still lost then it is only a blame shift in my book. IMO.

231595[/snapback]

If it happened earlier in the game and Missouri had a chance to overcome it it would be different, like if it happened in the third quarter, but that call happened with less than 20 seconds to go in the game.

I agree you have to overcome calls as its part of the game and very few teams are going to go mistake free in a game. Someone is always going to drop a pass, miss a assignment, overthrow or underthrow a pass in a game on both sides.

Missouri had overcome all calls, all mistakes, were leading in the end and stopped Colorado. Colorado actually made a mistake that should have turned the ball over, but the refs gave them a free pass on that mistake.

If it happened earlier in the game and Missouri had a chance to overcome it it would be different, like if it happened in the third quarter, but that call happened with less than 20 seconds to go in the game. 

I agree you have to overcome calls as its part of the game and very few teams are going to go mistake free in a game.  Someone is always going to drop a pass, miss a assignment, overthrow or underthrow a pass in a game on both sides.

Missouri had overcome all calls, all mistakes, were leading in the end and stopped Colorado. Colorado actually made a mistake that should have turned the ball over, but the refs gave them a free pass on that mistake.

231604[/snapback]

You really can argue it either way. The game you are talking about I will admit sucked for them. ANd there is no such thing as mistake free football. I guess my feelings come from my old coach that you only can worry about what you have control over which is dropped passes, blown coverages, or blocks etc. Mizzou just basically has some pretty bad luck all the way around.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Yea, but TM, take away that error and the outcome was different!!  Thus the human error changed the outcome of the game.  At the point the other scores were irrelevant.  It was crunch time, Missouri D did its job, Colorado O did not, insert the officiating error and the Colorado wins instead of Mizzou, who had it one.

231603[/snapback]

Ok, take away an early TD by Missouri and the outcome is different. Take away a Colorado score in the third quarter and the outcome is different.

I hate it for them. The fact that it happened late is not relavant in my book. The cause and effect is a little more evident, but not more relavant.

I agree you have to overcome calls as its part of the game and very few teams are going to go mistake free in a game.  Someone is always going to drop a pass, miss a assignment, overthrow or underthrow a pass in a game on both sides.

231604[/snapback]

If it happened earlier in the game, it could be argued that it was a 14 point swing that Mizzou could never overcome as they end up losing by 10. Relavance of plays made or missed does not depend on the time in the game, only in the perception that a late play makes more of an impact on the overall game.

We disagree about this and I am ok with that. I have my beliefs and you have yours.

I agree with the saying, "you only worry about what you can control, don't worry about the weather and let the refs call the game". But we are not playing on Satursday, we can watch and critque the boys in stripes earning a nice little $1000 check for their hobby.

A coach will say to his kids one play does not decide the game. This is to motivate the team to overcome adversity after being down.

On the complete opposite hand, you have the same coach telling you, every play counts and is just as important as any play of the game. Weither it be a PAT, punt return, or 2 yard run. Any play can break a game wide open.

Observations:

The timing of a contentious call makes them more famous (or infamous). A missed call early in the game doesn't have near the emotional impact as one late in a close game, but could have just as much influence on the game's outcome.

I agree with the statement that a team should play and position itself so that one call should not be all that momentous.

Pat Dye (and others) always said that calls tend to even out over the course of a game.

It is extremely unlikely that an official deliberately biases a call. They do the very best that they can, but they are human.

I think it was the '87 Sugar bowl. We were down by less than a TD. Freddie Weygan got his head knoked from behind on their 1 yd line. The ball never hit his hands, just the top of his helment. The next play, Deion Sanders intercepts. No way Freddie was dropping that.

231446[/snapback]

Deion pushed the receiver down when he caught the ball, too. BLATANT.

1994 Alabama game - Frank Sanders gets a first down on a last second drive, horrible horrible spot on 4th down gives Bama the ball, AU loses 21-14

1992 Georgia game - Officials forget to set the ball in play for AU's next play, AU is left at the 1 yard line as time expires..

1992 makes me sick to this day..

231456[/snapback]

That 92 UGA game was the worst refing I have ever witnessed! I was wondering if anyone would mention it.

Kind of off topic but funny. I had a guy come buy my office the other day that coaches youth baseball and I asked him how they did the other night and he starts this diatribe about the crappy umpires. I asked him the score. They lost 17-2. Now that's bad officiating!

Archived