USC Trouble x 3

DKW 86

WR Jarrett, Leinart's Roommate, in trouble for living with Leinart.

Lawyer says Bush Family did get $100K

USC backup QB arrested for sexual assault.

Now listen to my take on all of this beacuse I will stand by this from now on.

NOTHING is going to happen to USC from any of this. If they have Bush's Family dead to rights, and I think that may really be the case, the media may do some damage to Carroll and the USC program, but not the NCAA.

As :ua: and :au: fans both know, the NCAA is very unfair. I think that the unfairness is legend for both schools. BUt why does the NCAA pick on one school over another?

Here is the answer. It is about three things: money, more money, and even more money. If you want to know about what drives the NCAA just think green. It is not fairness, never has been. It is not good clean sports. It is not anything but green.

How does it work? Well, the major source of green to the NCAA is the TV contracts and those are based on ratings. That is the key. TV RATINGS.

If you are a football power in a large geographic area then you are in. Major players are going to be immune from anything of ANY consequence because the NCAA needs and wants TV viewers. That means green to them and that is the summation of the NCAA universe.

How else do you explain the ludicrous non-findings against Clarrett @ OSU, Martin @ :ut: , Bush @ USC? You see, in each case the university involved was the premeire program in a large TV market. OSU is the only game in Ohio. Tennessee is the only game in town in a relatively large population state like Tennessee. USC may be the only game in the entire Pac-10 and certainly in the biggest TV market in the US, Southern California.

There is the reasoning behind the lack of NCAA control on those schools. Poor ole :ua: , :au: , :om: , :msu: have all gone on probation because they do not draw enough national TV exposure to be bullet proof. miami brings in the entire South Florida TV market. They were supposed to be considered for the death penalty a while back. Instead they are now back in business again. Anyone doubt they are cheating as we speak? No!

Word to all those coaches working in smaller states with small TV ratings impact, your job will be a function of several things. First fan base size, large enough toi drive TV revenues and you are free to do as you want. Second, Alumni support and numbers. You must have a large alumni base, therefore you must continously grow the numbers of graduates at the school. Third, you must have a large sidewalk potential-national appeal to offset a realtively small fanbase. You must take your fan appeal national.

Notre Dame is in a mediocre market but has definte national draw from the fans.

Future hot coaching spots? Look for a large college and fanbase that hasnt really competed that well over time. Washington, Syracuse, Boston College, LSU should be great places for the right coach.

Places likely to get hammered: any places with limited fanbase and alumni, small state populations and competing schools within the same state. any team in AL, MS, Texas teams other than UT, any team in South Carolina, Georgia etc. Any team from a inconsequential conference, C-USA, MWC, SWAC, etc.

Have a great TV fanbase tho. and you are set for life.

Nothing is going to happen to USC, bank on it!

As :ua: and :au: fans both know, the NCAA is very unfair. I think that the unfairness is legend for both schools. BUt why does the NCAA pick on one school over another?

Poor ole :ua: , :au: , :om: , :msu: have all gone on probation because they do not draw enough national TV

233802[/snapback]

Bammer has a law school - Why don't they SUE the NCAA and get revenge??? :roflol:

Sorry, back to topic - I couldn't resist.

I disagree. If USC violated the rules, I think they'll be punished. They've sure found a way to attract the best players in the last few years - maybe the homes and money are connected - ya think?

Poor ole :ua: , :au: , :om: , :msu: have all gone on probation because they do not draw enough national TV

233802[/snapback]

Bammer has a law school - Why don't they SUE the NCAA and get revenge??? :roflol:

Sorry, back to topic - I couldn't resist.

I disagree. If USC violated the rules, I think they'll be punished. They've sure found a way to attract the best players in the last few years - maybe the homes and money are connected - ya think?

233808[/snapback]

They may get punished but it will not be severe by any means...You can be assured there is more to the recruiting than just the fact of them winning the MNC a couple of years ago. I just don't think a large number of great HIGHLY rated kids would ALL go to a school just b/c of a few years of success...bottom line is the kids are going to want to play...not good chances of that if the 2 or 3 other best QBs are going there also. Gotta be more drawing them in. Hey, we can get your fam out of the hood in a nice swank 3,000 sq ft house!!!!! Virtually rent free, heck we'll even give them $100,000, how about that??

Archived