Give me a break

Tigermike

I have nothing against secure borders and also have no objection to deporting illegals who manage to cross them, so this isn't meant as some liberal diatribe. It's actually a serious question:

What is to be gained by making them felons as some want to do?

Wouldn't that just mean we then have to support them in US prisons for the duration of their sentence? Perhaps it is argued that we can convict them of a felony and then deport them. But doesn't that still mean spending more money for courts, prosecutors, and public defenders? Not to mention keeping in them in U.S. until their trial (and appeals) runs its course. [Even perhaps having Mexico accuse us of "dumping" felons on them a la Castro's Mariel boatlift?]

Seems like making it a felony just complicates the situation. If Congress wants to get rid of 'em, it seems like they just need to streamline and strengthen the deportation process we already have in place rather than add more legal hurdles

I believe the meaning of the cartoon is the huddle masses are breaking the back of the Amercian Worker, the bank and the American Spirit of Independence. The misinterpretation of Emily's poem (for years now, like the income tax), being that it was meant for the Russian Jews, has caused a uproar among the independent minded American voters.

Archived