SEC Recruiting maps

quietfan

Someone over on Tidefans has put together a set of maps showing each SEC school's recruiting territory. It's pretty interesting:

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42330

One thing I found surprizing was that Alabama as a state produced the 3rd most SEC players of all the states (167, or 13% of all SEC players) after Georgia (16%) and Florida (14%), and ahead of Louisiana (10%) and Tennessee (7%). [Mississippi (8%) also leads Tennessee!?]

Population-wise, aren't both Tennessee and Louisiana considerably larger than Alabama? I suppose one might argue that Div 1 talent out of LA gets divided among all the many Div-1 regional schools in that state, but then, the SEC schools in our state have to compete with UAB & Troy.

Also shows what a rich source of talent the states of Georgia and Florida are, considering how much competition there is from the ACC for talent out of those states.

Anyway, good maps--check the link and thanks to whoever "LSU77" is. :thumbsup:

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. It looks like the Atlanta area is the place to be if you are a kid wanting to play SEC football. Almost every school gets a bunch of recruits out of that area.

Keep in mind guys, FSU and Miami are also cleaning up in the state of FL. Their % would be much higher if those two schools didn't exist.

Also, the state of Alabama has a bigger population than Louisiana.

238413[/snapback]

I didn't know that...thanks!

Keep in mind guys, FSU and Miami are also cleaning up in the state of FL. Their % would be much higher if those two schools didn't exist.

238413[/snapback]

Not by much though

Louisiana - 4,515,770

Alabama - 4,530,182

238413[/snapback]

Not by much though

Louisiana - 4,515,770

Alabama - 4,530,182

238431[/snapback]

True. But I bet LA is even smaller now w/ many of the NOLA residents moving to Houston/San Antonio/Atlanta, etc.

Did you guys notice that :ut: and :au: were the only schools recruiting very well out of state?

:ua: has a very narrow recruiting draw from Bham to HSV and some out of Mobile.

:uga: recruits basically from Athens to Atlanta.

:lsu: state of Louisiana only just about.

:uf: dispersed but insode Florida really.

Wow, I like this very much.

There is no need to recruit out-of-state that much if most of what you need is nearbye

It shouldn't come as a surprise

Did you guys notice that :ut: and :au: were the only schools recruiting very well out of state?

:ua: has a very narrow recruiting draw from Bham to HSV and some out of Mobile.

:uga: recruits basically from Athens to Atlanta.

:lsu: state of Louisiana only just about.

:uf: dispersed but insode Florida really.

Wow, I like this very much.

238477[/snapback]

I dunno about that. It looks like Bama is getting players from around the nation as well. Oklahoma, Utah, New Jersey, Kentucky, and even some green in California. The bottom line is that you can't say that we have a "very narrow recruiting draw."

158634596_8dd700aa2c_b.jpg

Look at the map crimson. Yes there is a smattering aound other places, but the bulk of bama's recruits are N. AL. Thus the reason it is so red.

• 1 year later...

Archived