Bible Program kicked out of prison

Ranger12

I guess we should not allow anything in our prisons that atually may make convicts better people...

Prison Fellowship Ministries Forced to Close Bible Program at Iowa Prison

Saturday , June 03, 2006

DES MOINES, Iowa  — A judge has ruled that a Bible-based prison program violates the First Amendment's freedom of religion clause by using state funds to promote Christianity to inmates.

Prison Fellowship Ministries, which was sued in 2003 by an advocacy group, was ordered Friday to cease its program at the Newton Correctional Facility and repay the state $1.53 million.

"This calls into question the funding for so many programs," said Barry Lynn, executive director of the Washington-based Americans United for Separation of Church and State, which filed the suit. "Anyone who doesn't stop it is putting a giant 'sue me' sign on top of their building."

Lynn's group accused Prison Fellowship Ministries of giving preferential treatment to inmates participating in the program. They were given special visitation rights, movie-watching privileges, access to computers and access to classes needed for early parole.

U.S. District Judge Robert Pratt called the perks "seemingly minor benefits" that constituted unfair treatment to those not in the religious program. Despite any claims of rehabilitating inmates, the program "impermissibly endorses religion," Pratt wrote.

The InnerChange Freedom Initiative was implemented in Newton in 1999. State prison officials have said they hired the religious group to improve inmate behavior and reduce recidivism — not promote Christianity.

Ministry president Mark Earley said in a statement Friday that the group plans to appeal the ruling and believes its program is constitutional.

"This decision, if allowed to stand, will enshrine religious discrimination," Earley said. "It has attacked the right of people of faith to operate on a level playing field in the public arena and to provide services to those who volunteered to receive them."

The judge gave the group's workers 60 days to leave the prison, though he put a stay on his order, meaning the decision won't officially be implemented until the appeals process is complete.

link

I guess we should not allow anything in our prisons that atually may make convicts better people...

Saturday , June 03, 2006

DES MOINES, Iowa  — A judge has ruled that a Bible-based prison program violates the First Amendment's freedom of religion clause by using state funds to promote Christianity to inmates.

Prison Fellowship Ministries, which was sued in 2003 by an advocacy group, was ordered Friday to cease its program at the Newton Correctional Facility and repay the state $1.53 million.

"This calls into question the funding for so many programs," said Barry Lynn, executive director of the Washington-based Americans United for Separation of Church and State, which filed the suit. "Anyone who doesn't stop it is putting a giant 'sue me' sign on top of their building."

Lynn's group accused Prison Fellowship Ministries of giving preferential treatment to inmates participating in the program. They were given special visitation rights, movie-watching privileges, access to computers and access to classes needed for early parole.

U.S. District Judge Robert Pratt called the perks "seemingly minor benefits" that constituted unfair treatment to those not in the religious program. Despite any claims of rehabilitating inmates, the program "impermissibly endorses religion," Pratt wrote.

The InnerChange Freedom Initiative was implemented in Newton in 1999. State prison officials have said they hired the religious group to improve inmate behavior and reduce recidivism — not promote Christianity.

Ministry president Mark Earley said in a statement Friday that the group plans to appeal the ruling and believes its program is constitutional.

"This decision, if allowed to stand, will enshrine religious discrimination," Earley said. "It has attacked the right of people of faith to operate on a level playing field in the public arena and to provide services to those who volunteered to receive them."

The judge gave the group's workers 60 days to leave the prison, though he put a stay on his order, meaning the decision won't officially be implemented until the appeals process is complete.

link

238375[/snapback]

The question is tax dollars, not what is "allowed... in." Churches can fund outreach programs like this if they wish. In fact, scripture instructs them to.

For five or six years, I worked in the prison ministry at the church I attended in Mobile. We funded the ministry ourselves. The church didn't receive or ask for, nor did they want any federal or state money.

At one point all churches were stopped from these type ministries. But not because of federal monies, but because the prison Chaplin had them stopped. I'm not sure what was going on, but after a while things changed to allow outside churches into the prisons.

U.S. District Judge Robert Pratt called the perks "seemingly minor benefits" that constituted unfair treatment to those not in the religious program.

No one has mentioned this part yet. It's certainly not right to grant special privilages based on participation in one particular religious group.

For the record:

I agree that churches/religions should fund such programs themselves and every denomination/religion that wishes to do so should have equal access to state prisons (including Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu, etc. if they desire).

I also think Planned Parenthood should fund its own programs without government aid. On the other hand, when the government is paying for medical care--i.e., Medicare, Medicaid, military health care, etc.--it should do so equally for all enrolled in that program based on what the patient and doctor decide is best for that patient, without preference for one particular religious doctrine over another. If a procedure/treatment/drug is legal and normal for the private sector (and not optional, such as cosmetic surgery for vanity's sake) , the government should not discriminate against it in public funding.

Should tax dollars go to Planned Parenthood?

238458[/snapback]

YES. There should be forced sterilization for all libruls. I'll be one of the local judges as to who is or os not a librul.

Thank you for playing the tubal ligation game..... :big:

Well, I hate to inform you all, but PP gets tax dollar support in almost every community. It is part and parcel of the ole Liberal hipocrisy. I have lead protests and City Council sessions in Huntsville where no one there could understand why I even challenged it. So check with your home town. Your City is probably paying the rent for free, leasing the furniture and office equipment, paying the utilities and phone bills, paying for office help, etc, subsidizing whatever, for PP.

The double standard is in full use here, nationwide.

Well, I hate to inform you all, but PP gets tax dollar support in almost every community. It is part and parcel of the ole Liberal hipocrisy. I have lead protests and City Council sessions in Huntsville where no one there could understand why I even challenged it. So check with your home town. Your City is probably paying the rent for free, subsidizing whatever, for PP.

238773[/snapback]

You are so right brother! Sav-A-Life in Decatur had for years brought of they hypocrisy of how PP was funded with government dollars, but yet religious programs that gave alternatives to PP could not receive that same funding. It is okay for an anti-religious agenda be funded by federal money.

Well, I hate to inform you all, but PP gets tax dollar support in almost every community. It is part and parcel of the ole Liberal hipocrisy. I have lead protests and City Council sessions in Huntsville where no one there could understand why I even challenged it. So check with your home town. Your City is probably paying the rent for free, subsidizing whatever, for PP.

238773[/snapback]

You are so right brother! Sav-A-Life in Decatur had for years brought of they hypocrisy of how PP was funded with government dollars, but yet religious programs that gave alternatives to PP could not receive that same funding. It is okay for an anti-religious agenda be funded by federal money.

238774[/snapback]

That really is my point. In Hsv, the non-abortion alternative to PP was shutdown and had their funding cut off by the City. PP has rocked on another 18 years with full support.

Actually I have belonged to a Christian Ministry for years called "Kairos." This ministry is legit and depends upon donations from it's members and others without any organized "fund raising." I've made several trips into Donaldson, which lies in the western portion of Jefferson County and witnessed some fantastic changes in some of the inmates. I suppose one could find anything wrong with almost anything they chose if they are looking but IMO, this is a worthwhile organization who does good things..... :)

Archived