Suggestions for a Visiting Fan?

gladstone

Hey guys,

Some buddies and I are coming to Auburn for the AU/LSU game this year and we’re looking for some suggestions about food and tailgating. We want to get the best Auburn experience, so we figured yall would be the best people to ask. Anyway, if you could recommend any restaurants or bars we’d appreciate it.

Thanks guys. Here’s hoping for a great game!

First Of All WELCOME TO AUBURN

Remember Our House Our Rules You Play You Loose You Go HOME!!!

With that being said Hope you have a real nice time in Auburn.

Gutheries is always good and its an Auburn Tradition (mainly chicken Fingers)

The Buffalo Connection is Good.

J&M Book store is a good place to hang out (a bit crowded on game day)

and after the game dont forget to throw up some toilet paper at Toomers after an AUBURN

VICTORY that night.

Toomers Drug store has the Best Lemonade any where..

Welcome gladstone.

Another great place is Melow Mushroom.

A lot of the tailgating spots I go to are all "Family Friendly" kind of places.

Many of them allow other fans to drop by and partake in the food & drink if they act right.

I guess the answer to your question depends on what type of tailgater you are.

:au:

Another question....

How safe is it for someone to camp on campus the night before the game? And if it is safe, how safe would it be for and :lsu: fan? I don't want to wake up with my tent on fire.

I've never been to Jordan-Hare and would love to experience it. I'm trying to go to all the SEC stadiums, but have only been to MOO State so far. :thumbsdown:

(What a terrible town, stadium, tailgating, and team!)

Thanks for you help.

GEAUX :lsu:

Visiting fans have RARELY had a problem at AU...it's a great place, and you are treated with respect as long as you give it and are friendly. THe last few years, LSU fans have been just that (after the VAN burning in Corndog City). And it's been a HUGE improvement in the LSU/AU gameday experience.

Mellow Mushroom is great (they have Guinness), and Wings is great...I love Cheeburger Cheeburger too...and there are so many great places to eat.

Tiger Rags and any of the bookstores are great places to hang on game day.

And you really should go to Tiger Walk at the South end of JHS, 2 hours before the game. Many opposing fans do, and they usually have a great time.

Welcome...and enjoy. :)

:au::homer:

Guest Tigrinum Major

Don't expect it to be like Baton Rouge. It ain't.

Tailgating places are getting fewer and fewer, but can still be found. As far as camping out, I don't think I would recommend it. Too much downside. Unless you have an RV.

Auburn is much smaller than Baton Rouge with a smaller campus.

Go to Momma Goldberg's for a beer and a sandwich. Located near the stadium and has great food. Not much to look at, but they have TVs and an outdoor area.

Get in the stadium early and watch the eagle fly. No tiger, so don't get your hopes up.

Have a great time. Wear your cup.

Good Bars would Be Bodega, Bourbon Street, and you have to visit the Supperclub. With the exception of the Supperclub, most of the bars are located downtown near Toomers Corner. On Gameday you have to go to Momma G's, Its awesome. War Eagle!

Things to expect:

1st: It will be a 2:30 Central game (CBS), that means no extended tailgating, that means people will be there early if not the night before. Therefore, DONT expect to be able to find a place to park. Come prepared. There's no paying for parking in Auburn or anything, so don't worry about that.

2nd: Hit up Momma Goldberg's. Sloppy steamed sandwiches. Its a very rugged deli really close to the stadium.

3rd: If you see a roped off area, do not trespass. Auburn has rules that say that you cannot rope off your tailgating area until 4PM on Friday. This has led EVERYONE to HAVE to rope off their areas the night before. People get damn touchy about the places they've "always" tailgated in, so just stand clear of the rope & flagging.

4th: Have a frickin' good time. You'll be safe as long as you don't try to start crap. Behave like a gentleman (or lady, if thats what you are) and no ones gonna cross you.

5th: Get in the stadium early enough to watch the eagle. You'll thank me later.

The Supper Club is the bar you go to when all the other bars are closed. They usually have good bands on big gameday weekends. Just don't go in being an jackass (especially if you win), because 300 drunk Auburn students will show you the door. Also, it would probably be best if you took a cab there, because it is near the interstate and a good ways from Downtown. They have a "Drunk Bus" that will take you home for free (or at least they did when I was at Auburn).

In case you need a visual, a picture of it is in my avatar. :D

If you want a good micro-brew, stop by The Olde Auburn Ale House, right off of College Street, behind Mellow Mushroom. They have good food there, too.

If you really want to experience an Auburn Tradition, stop by the Tiger Walk. Even if you aren't an Auburn fan, it is a really cool experience.

Be sure you are in the stadium to check out the pre-game flight of the eagle. If you're really lucky, it may crap in your Coke!

The Supper Club is the bar you go to when all the other bars are closed.  They usually have good bands on big gameday weekends.  Just don't go in being an jackass (especially if you win), because 300 drunk Auburn students will show you the door.  Also, it would probably be best if you took a cab there, because it is near the interstate and a good ways from Downtown.  They have a "Drunk Bus" that will take you home for free (or at least they did when I was at Auburn). 

In case you need a visual, a picture of it is in my avatar.   :D

If you want a good micro-brew, stop by The Olde Auburn Ale House, right off of College Street, behind Mellow Mushroom.  They have good food there, too.

If you really want to experience an Auburn Tradition, stop by the Tiger Walk.  Even if you aren't an Auburn fan, it is a really cool experience.

Be sure you are in the stadium to check out the pre-game flight of the eagle.  If you're really lucky, it may crap in your Coke!

239109[/snapback]

How did I know you were gonna say that?!?!?! I promise there is no bias in his opinion! :roflol:

I have a lot of the same opinions as what has already been mentioned...but here would be my itinerary...assuming you get here sometime friday night

Friday Night Dinner at Mama G's...have a Mama's Love and a pitcher of beer while playin pool, watchin the games if there are any, etc.

Leave Mama' G's and head downtown and go to Bodega or Sky Bar downtown..they are right next door to each other so you can go to both or either.

Saturday morning go get some Toomer's Lemonade to recover from the night before and walk around and enjoy campus and the tailgating. Either eat downtown at Mellow Mushroom or meet up with some fellow LSU fans who are tailgating and eat their food.

Go to Tiger walk approximately 2 hours before the game, as others have said, even if you are not an Auburn fan its a cool thing to witness.

Make sure you get into the stadium early enough to see the Eagle fly...I get chill's everytime I witness it.

After the game I'd go eat somewhere like Buffalo Connection to watch some of the other games still going on that day before heading out for the night.

go to Supper Club the night after the game and enjoy Auburn's most famous bar

Another question....

How safe is it for someone to camp on campus the night before the game?  And if it is safe, how safe would it be for and  :lsu: fan?  I don't want to wake up with my tent on fire. 

I've never been to Jordan-Hare and would love to experience it.  I'm trying to go to all the SEC stadiums, but have only been to MOO State so far.  :thumbsdown:

(What a terrible town, stadium, tailgating, and team!)

Thanks for you help.

GEAUX  :lsu:

239080[/snapback]

You will be safe camping out...as others have said you SHOULDN'T have any problems, unless of course you come in acting a fool. If you are coming in on Friday evening, I would recommend trying to park somewhere down Samford Avenue b/t Wire Rd and Shug Jordan Pw. There is a little pond out in front of the Facilities building that would make for a nice little camping area. Biggest thing is if you are cordial and polite with Auburn folks, then they will be also, and you may get some free food out of it from the many tailgaters.

I personally like Niffer's and Cheeburger Cheeburger. Come by Auburn Ale House after the game and join me and some others. We try to go there after every home game depending on start time.

Auburn is loads of fun......Pregame festivities are awesome, as others have said the Tiger Walk and Eagle Flight are two of the great pregame festivities. Enjoy and welcome to the board. Don't be a stranger

These all sound like great suggestions. I'm writing the names of these restaurants/bars down and plan on checking them out. I enjoy experiencing all the traditional hangouts/establishments that other cities have to offer.

I'm def. always cordial when it comes to opposing fans, so there won't be a problem there.

I'm looking forward to "TigerWalk" and can't wait to see 'Tiger' fly around the stadium. I've seen clips of both on TV/Internet but I'm sure that doesn't do it justice.

LSU/AU games are always great and I'm sure this year won't be any different.

I plan on going up there without tickets, so I was wondering how readily tix are available (especially for a big game) outside of the stadium? And should I expect to pay an exorbitant amount for them?

GEAUX :lsu:

Guest Tigrinum Major

There are always tickets, but if both are undefeated, expect to pay triple digits.

I got some bad news guys. Last time I went to Cheeburger a few weeks ago, it was closed. And I mean CLOSED. :(

Guest Tigrinum Major

It is reopening. Not sure if it is under the same name, but I am sure the food will be adequately greasy.

I'd also have to recommend some good drunk food establishments. Jimmie Johns which is next to mellow mushroom and pita pit which is across the street. Both stay open til probably 3am so you can get food after the downtown bars close. You could also order Willie's. they have wings and stuff of that nature. plus they deliver til about 4am.

As an RV'er (I have a season pass in my lot...Lot X), the best place to camp is on Donohue about 3/4 mile south of the stadium. This is where the visiting RVers park so you will have planty of company. The shuttle buses start about 2 hours before kickoff...walking is really no problem from there. If you fell a little gritty on Saturday morning, head to the Coliseum (also on Donohue) across from the stadium. There are plenty of showers downstairs by the Aquatics arena. This is set up for RVers. Even though my rig has a shower w/hot water, I normally use the coliseum because the water pressure is much better and the hot water lasts much longer. On Friday night go to Moma Goldbergs and get a Momma's Love....it's orgasmic. Saturday try the Buffalo Connection (get there early). Or you can usually walk up to most any AU tailgater (especially RVers) and if you are friendly they will usually offer you something to eat. Come by Lot X....it's on the northeast side of the stadium. Go to the AU website for maps. Be safe and have a good time.

Bayou Bengal

I camp every Fri night before a home game. I bring a satelite dish, TV, food, grills, tents...everything we need for the next day. Everyone drops by to leave their coolers for the next day so they don't have to carry it from where ever they park the next day. I'm the only one willing to do this, I'm a giver what can I say.

I would enjoy the company (I normally have a buddy camping with me, a Bama fan, he goes home sat morning) if you would like to set up with us. We would be glad ro host a few Bengal Tiger for the game. I'm gonna have about 70 WSU fans tailgaiting with us Sept 2. We do alot of drinking, eating and we always have a good time.

Get intouch through the board or email and I'd be glad to help you out. :au:

This goes for you too Gladstone.

Gladstone, welcome aboard!

Please tailgate with me and Friends (AU and LSU)

I'm a scholarship donor and have a parking spot in the scholarship donor lot just West of JHS.

I'll be pleased to meet you and your friends, and we'll all be friends forever.

I live in Atlanta and stop at Sprayberry's and stop enroute for some "stew 'n Q" to bring to the tailgate party.

Travel safe, be blessed-looking forward to meeting you and your friends.

Rocketman (Bob: infil37@bellsouth.net)

Just to reiterate:

Definately eat at Momma Goldberg's.

And definately go to Supper Club, but don't bother until midnight at least.

One spot that hasn't been mentioned is Rooster's.

It's a similar atmosphere to Momma G's. It's a good late supper place. Good wings, great drink specials, and then it turns into a bar with live music.

Archived