Getting Rid of Murtha

Jenny AU-92

His opposition is actually picking up steam...

Link to Diana Irey for Congress

You can even make a contribution to her campaign on her website.

Also, for you vets:

Link to Vets for Irey

They are building a list of veterans who are supporting Irey.

Thanks Jenny. I've been waiting for something like this to finally show up.

WDE!

Thanks Jenn, that is good to hear!

While John Murtha is calling for an immediate withdrawal from the war against terror, Diana Irey has been standing steadfastly by our fighting men and women and is committed to finishing the job. And while John Murtha is voting to tax our social security benefits, Diana Irey has been holding the line on taxes and government spending.

Irey1.jpg

Added my name to the list. Murtha is the poster child for scumbag politicians.

242420[/snapback]

How about Duke Cunningham? Was his downfall just due to the librul media?

242420[/snapback]

242441[/snapback]

Where has anyone ever suggested that Duke Cunningham was 'innocent' ? It's a damn shame to see what a REAL hero has fallen to, but it sadly is what it is. As for Murtha, he's definatly painted himself into a corner. He's abandoned the troops for the sake of furthering his politcal career. Not a criminal act, but clearly an immoral one. I hope it costs him his job.

Well, if she can't win it won't be due to lack of campaign contributions once all that Murtha hatin' money starts flowing in.

242442[/snapback]

Do you not like that?

Well, if she can't win it won't be due to lack of campaign contributions once all that Murtha hatin' money starts flowing in.

242442[/snapback]

Do you not like that?

242454[/snapback]

Just an observation. Should make it interesting. His constituents either agree with him or they don't. Guess we'll find out.

242420[/snapback]

242441[/snapback]

Where has anyone ever suggested that Duke Cunningham was 'innocent' ? It's a damn shame to see what a REAL hero has fallen to, but it sadly is what it is. As for Murtha, he's definatly painted himself into a corner. He's abandoned the troops for the sake of furthering his politcal career. Not a criminal act, but clearly an immoral one. I hope it costs him his job.

242453[/snapback]

I'm just saying the Duke is a pretty strong candidate for "the poster child for scumbag politicians." You guys are more concerned that someone holds a different opinion than whether they are a crook.

242420[/snapback]

242441[/snapback]

242453[/snapback]

I'm just saying the Duke is a pretty strong candidate for "the poster child for scumbag politicians." You guys are more concerned that someone holds a different opinion than whether they are a crook.

242458[/snapback]

No I would have to say you are way off base on this. It has nothing at all to do with someone not agreeing with us and I realize that is very hard for you to comprehend and understand. What it does have to do with is his rhetoric has put troops at risk. It has nothing to do with agreeing with this administrations policies, nothing. It has to do with Murtha going out of his way to make the world know this country will cut and run and has no intention of fighting and eliminating international terrorists. I really don't understand why you folks don't see Islamic fascists for what they are. Do you really think they will leave us alone if we pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan? We better pull out of Turkey, Kuwait, Saudi, Philippines, Spain, Italy and Germany as well.

242420[/snapback]

242441[/snapback]

242453[/snapback]

242458[/snapback]

No I would have to say you are way off base on this. It has nothing at all to do with someone not agreeing with us and I realize that is very hard for you to comprehend and understand. What it does have to do with is his rhetoric has put troops at risk. It has nothing to do with agreeing with this administrations policies, nothing. It has to do with Murtha going out of his way to make the world know this country will cut and run and has no intention of fighting and eliminating international terrorists. I really don't understand why you folks don't see Islamic fascists for what they are. Do you really think they will leave us alone if we pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan? We better pull out of Turkey, Kuwait, Saudi, Philippines, Spain, Italy and Germany as well.

242469[/snapback]

Actually, I supported going into Afghanistan and wish we had focused our resources more there. I've never evem advocated pulling out of Iraq, even though I believed before we ever went in that it was a huge strategic blunder. I don't understand why "you folks" equate invading Iraq with fighting Islamic fascists. Saddam was a largely secular Arab leader. Osama Bin Ladin hated him and was glad to see him go. He was a brutal dictator, but he was hardly in the same category of motivation as the "Islamic fascists."

I don't necssarily agree with Murtha, but at the same time, the fact that someone takes the position that letting the Iraqis know that by a certain date they have to step up may be no less of a meaningful "plan" than what we have now. Also, his view that the presence of our troops merely fuels the insurgency may be a valid view. There's a rationale to it. One may rationally disagree with it, but merely repeating the Mantra "stay the course" doesn't constitute a plan.

242420[/snapback]

242441[/snapback]

242453[/snapback]

242458[/snapback]

242469[/snapback]

Actually, I supported going into Afghanistan and wish we had focused our resources more there. I've never evem advocated pulling out of Iraq, even though I believed before we ever went in that it was a huge strategic blunder. I don't understand why "you folks" equate invading Iraq with fighting Islamic fascists. Saddam was a largely secular Arab leader. Osama Bin Ladin hated him and was glad to see him go. He was a brutal dictator, but he was hardly in the same category of motivation as the "Islamic fascists."

I don't necssarily agree with Murtha, but at the same time, the fact that someone takes the position that letting the Iraqis know that by a certain date they have to step up may be no less of a meaningful "plan" than what we have now. Also, his view that the presence of our troops merely fuels the insurgency may be a valid view. There's a rationale to it. One may rationally disagree with it, but merely repeating the Mantra "stay the course" doesn't constitute a plan.

242482[/snapback]

Guess what Tex, we're winning.

Yeah, the good guys. Our troops. And the Iraqi army. We're winning. We were winning big even before Zarqawi was nailed. The terrorists themselves said so. In their state-of-the-troubled-union message to themselves. You remember those documents that were captured last week don't you?

According to al Qaeda in Iraq, critics of "stay the course" need to stick it where the sun don't shine: One key captured document states that "time is beginning to be of service to the American forces."

Guess we ought to pull our troops out now. Right, Nancy? Howard? Teddy? John Murtha? John Kerry?

Guess what Tex, if Murtha looses this election, it will not be because of outside money or outside influence. It will be because the people of his state know there is a world wide war on terrorist going on right now. It will be because the people of Pennsylvania know there are troops in the field in harms way and those people recognize how harmful Murtha's words have been to the war effort. If he looses I will applaud the people of Pennsylvania for kicking his back stabbing ass out. If he wins I will say, well Pennsylvania voted him in.

The terrorists were suffering from the loss of financial resources, as well as a shortage of weapons - old allies were bailing out on them, while their dwindling assets were being seized by Coalition and Iraqi-government forces.

In the terrorists' view, regional and world opinion had moved behind the Coalition and the elected Iraqi government

While elements in our own media, our own government (democrats), our own citizens continued to claim that the terrorists couldn't be defeated, the terrorists themselves felt that the Iraqi media's reporting on terrorist atrocities had badly undercut their base of support.

In the terrorists' view, regional and world opinion had moved behind the Coalition and the elected Iraqi government

For patriotic Americans and freedom lovers everywhere, for the enemies of terror and the friends of tolerance, for the people of Iraq and of the United States, the captured terrorist documents contained nothing but great news - confirmation that we're winning, that terror is being defeated and that Iraq is on the road to recovery.

But that same week what did Murtha and the democrats do? Started their cut and run BS, ratchet up their we can't win, we can't win rhetoric.

In my humble opinion, if Murtha looses it will be because the people of Pennsylvania know the truth and know now they can't trust Murtha.

Sorry for the rant, I usually don't go on that long, but this has been bothering me for some time.

242420[/snapback]

242441[/snapback]

242453[/snapback]

242458[/snapback]

242469[/snapback]

242482[/snapback]

Sorry for the rant, I usually don't go on that long, but this has been bothering me for some time.

242486[/snapback]

Didn't strike me as a rant, really. I hope you're right about us winning. I hope Bush is right about Iraq becoming a shining beacon for freedom and democracy in the Middle East that serves as a model for other countries in the region. If he is right, he alone deserves the credit and he will be treated very favorably by history. Unfortunately, I can't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong.

I mentioned no party with my "political scumbag" comment. I don't care what party you are a member of , if you did something illegal or immoral in my eyes, you are a political scumbag. The post was about Murtha. If it would have been about Cunnigham, I would have said the same thing. Cunnigham may be an idiot also, but that does not excuse Murtha moronic comments. The old, "well, so-and-so did this or said this also" does not fly with me. Just like when a conservative does something they should not have and somebody brings up Clinton's trangressions, I can't stand that. Clintons stupidity does not justify anything stupid that a conservative does and vice-versa.

Yeah, the good guys. Our troops. And the Iraqi army. We're winning. We were winning big even before Zarqawi was nailed. The terrorists themselves said so. In their state-of-the-troubled-union message to themselves.  You remember those documents that were captured last week don't you?

According to al Qaeda in Iraq, critics of "stay the course" need to stick it where the sun don't shine: One key captured document states that "time is beginning to be of service to the American forces."

Guess we ought to pull our troops out now. Right, Nancy? Howard? Teddy? John Murtha?  John Kerry?

Guess what Tex, if Murtha looses this election, it will not be because of outside money or outside influence.  It will be because the people of his state know there is a world wide war on terrorist going on right now.  It will be because the people of Pennsylvania know there are troops in the field in harms way and those people recognize how harmful Murtha's words have been to the war effort.  If he looses I will applaud the people of Pennsylvania for kicking his back stabbing ass out.  If he wins I will say, well Pennsylvania voted him in.

The terrorists were suffering from the loss of financial resources, as well as a shortage of weapons - old allies were bailing out on them, while their dwindling assets were being seized by Coalition and Iraqi-government forces.

While elements in our own media, our own government (democrats), our own citizens continued to claim that the terrorists couldn't be defeated, the terrorists themselves felt that the Iraqi media's reporting on terrorist atrocities had badly undercut their base of support.

For patriotic Americans and freedom lovers everywhere, for the enemies of terror and the friends of tolerance, for the people of Iraq and of the United States, the captured terrorist documents contained nothing but great news - confirmation that we're winning, that terror is being defeated and that Iraq is on the road to recovery.

But that same week what did Murtha and the democrats do?  Started their cut and run BS, ratchet up their we can't win, we can't win rhetoric.

In my humble opinion, if Murtha looses it will be because the people of Pennsylvania know the truth and know now they can't trust Murtha.

242486[/snapback]

Well said, my good friend!

Man, this BDS must be one hell of a powerful handicap.

242420[/snapback]

242441[/snapback]

242453[/snapback]

242458[/snapback]

No TT, you're just delusional. You're trying to deflect attention away from Murtha by brining up Cunningham. It's an apples or oranges tactic. Cunningham did worng, no one denies that, not for a second. He is a once bonafide national hero, w/ out any question. But he made some bad choices and is going to pay for them. You're more concerned w/ protecting Murtha by drawing attention away from his comments than having to deal w/ them. One could infer from your position that you approve of what Murtha says, and that you join him in trying and convicting our own troops before ANY evidence or charges have been filed. Just be a man, stand up and say that, why don't you ? There's no need to play this game of diversion. It's nothing but a waste of time.

242420[/snapback]

242441[/snapback]

242453[/snapback]

242458[/snapback]

No TT, you're just delusional. You're trying to deflect attention away from Murtha by brining up Cunningham. It's an apples or oranges tactic. Cunningham did worng, no one denies that, not for a second. He is a once bonafide national hero, w/ out any question. But he made some bad choices and is going to pay for them. You're more concerned w/ protecting Murtha by drawing attention away from his comments than having to deal w/ them. One could infer from your position that you approve of what Murtha says, and that you join him in trying and convicting our own troops before ANY evidence or charges have been filed. Just be a man, stand up and say that, why don't you ? There's no need to play this game of diversion. It's nothing but a waste of time.

242518[/snapback]

The phrase, "the poster child for..." typically means the consumate illustration. Dukey took 2.4 million, probably the most ever, in bribes. There was hardly any outcry on this board about that, although if he had been a Dem, I'm sure that would have been quite different. By contrast, there are a ton of Murtha posts. Nothing deflects the almost daily whining about Murtha. Add three more posts today, for all I care. The consumate "scumbag of a politician"? My vote probably goes to the guy who takes huge bribes to spend our tax money on certain projects than that of a politician taking a position that I think they sincerely believe. Your vote goes to the guy you disagree with politically. No real surprise here.

The consumate "scumbag of a politician"? My vote probably goes to the guy who takes huge bribes to spend our tax money on certain projects than that of a politician taking a position that I think they sincerely believe. Your vote goes to the guy you disagree with politically. No real surprise here.

There you go again. I'm convinced you'll bring up Cunningham all day long if it offers you one tiny patch of cover in drawing attention away from Murtha. Cunningham's crimes are old news, while Murtha's immoral , wreckless comments just keep coming. That's why you don't hear much about 'Duke'. There's no 'there there'.

There was hardly any outcry on this board about that, although if he had been a Dem, I'm sure that would have been quite different.
I offer you William Jefferson, for starters. Why did the Congressional Black Caucus all but threaten Nancy Pelosi if she attempted to remove Mr Jefferson from his committee position? There was no 'circling of the wagons' when it came to supporting Cunningham near to the level that the Dems tried to cover their own.

Just like you're trying to cover for Murtha. The consumate scumbag of a politician who is trying to sell his own brethren down the river for the sake of his own political career. The same lust for fame and power that destroyed Duke Cunningham has affected Jack Murtha, but Murtha's actions are costing the lives of our own Marines. He's creating a haven for the terrorist who will use his words to bolster their resolve and he's painting OUR troops as guilty before the facts have come out.

Scumbag defined - Jack Murtha

The consumate "scumbag of a politician"? My vote probably goes to the guy who takes huge bribes to spend our tax money on certain projects than that of a politician taking a position that I think they sincerely believe. Your vote goes to the guy you disagree with politically. No real surprise here.

There you go again. I'm convinced you'll bring up Cunningham all day long if it offers you one tiny patch of cover in drawing attention away from Murtha. Cunningham's crimes are old news, while Murtha's immoral , wreckless comments just keep coming. That's why you don't hear much about 'Duke'. There's no 'there there'.

There was hardly any outcry on this board about that, although if he had been a Dem, I'm sure that would have been quite different.
I offer you William Jefferson, for starters. Why did the Congressional Black Caucus all but threaten Nancy Pelosi if she attempted to remove Mr Jefferson from his committee position? There was no 'circling of the wagons' when it came to supporting Cunningham near to the level that the Dems tried to cover their own.

Just like you're trying to cover for Murtha. The consumate scumbag of a politician who is trying to sell his own brethren down the river for the sake of his own political career. The same lust for fame and power that destroyed Duke Cunningham has affected Jack Murtha, but Murtha's actions are costing the lives of our own Marines. He's creating a haven for the terrorist who will use his words to bolster their resolve and he's painting OUR troops as guilty before the facts have come out.

Scumbag defined - Jack Murtha

242532[/snapback]

There you go again. Misunderstanding everything. There was never much here about Cunningham.

Jefferson was removed by the democrats prior to an indictment even being issued. It is unprecedented. Some of the CBC protested, key players, like Rangel and Lewis, did not. He hasn't been charged with anything. Cunningham stayed until he copped a plea. Nothing was ever done to him by the Repugs.

The phrase, "the poster child for..." typically means the consumate illustration.  Dukey took 2.4 million, probably the most ever, in bribes.  There was hardly any outcry on this board about that, although if he had been a Dem, I'm sure that would have been quite different.  By contrast, there are a ton of Murtha posts.  Nothing deflects the almost daily whining about Murtha.  Add three more posts today, for all I care.  The consumate "scumbag of a politician"?  My vote probably goes to the guy who takes huge bribes to spend our tax money on certain projects than  that of a politician taking a position that I think they sincerely believe.  Your vote goes to the guy you disagree with politically.  No real surprise here.

242521[/snapback]

In actuality, Murtha was one of the ORIGINAL poster children for scumbag politicians. He has just been able to use his veteran's status like a shield for all this time - that and ratting out his buddies to get off scott free...Unfortunately the AbScam scandal is old news - but once a scumbag...

LINK

His performance on "Meet the Press" reinforced dismay inside the party that Murtha, at age 74, has announced his candidacy for majority leader if the Democrats regain control of the House in the 2006 elections.

Jack Murtha proves there are second acts in American politics. I had forgotten that federal prosecutors designated him an unindicted co-conspirator in the Abscam investigation 26 years ago. I was reminded of it after Murtha became a candidate for majority leader, not by a Republican hit man but a Democratic former colleague in the House. In a long political career, Murtha has made bitter enemies inside his party who are alarmed by his new stature.

Murtha got into politics in 1968 as a 36-year-old highly decorated Marine and in 1974 became the first Vietnam War veteran elected to Congress. By 1980, Murtha was a lieutenant of Speaker Thomas P. (Tip) O'Neill and was moving to the top in the House when the FBI named him as one of eight members of Congress videotaped being offered bribes by a phony Arab sheik.

The other seven congressional targets took cash and were convicted in federal court. The videotape showed Murtha declining to take cash but expressing interest in further negotiations, while bragging about his political influence. Murtha testified against the popular Rep. Frank Thompson in the Abscam case, which created lifelong enemies in the Democratic cloakroom.The House Ethics Committee exonerated Murtha of misconduct charges by a largely party-line vote, after which the committee's special counsel resigned in protest.

Dukey took 2.4 million, probably the most ever, in bribes.  There was hardly any outcry on this board about that, although if he had been a Dem, I'm sure that would have been quite different. 

242521[/snapback]

That was your job. This is a free board and if you had so choose, you could have mad 100's of post about "Dukey". That's the way it works in a free society.

Nothing deflects the almost daily whining about Murtha.  Add three more posts today, for all I care.  The consumate "scumbag of a politician"?  My vote probably goes to the guy who takes huge bribes to spend our tax money on certain projects than  that of a politician taking a position that I think they sincerely believe.  Your vote goes to the guy you disagree with politically.  No real surprise here.

242521[/snapback]

So stealing money is worse than undermining the troops in the field. Is worse than openly encouraging murdering terrorists to hold out a little longer, when we (dems) get into power we will be pulling out so fast your turban will un wrap. Murtha and all the anti war crowd can KISS MY ASS! No none wants a war, but this one has to be fought and HAS to be won. Let's get this straight, that statement has nothing to do with party affiliation or liking or disliking any politician or any government policy. It has to do with troops in the field and doing all that can be done and said to support them and to WIN the war and to see the job done and done right. It has to do with protecting our country and our citizens. Do you think those Islamic fascists are content with stopping at 9/11? Do you think if we cut and run they will all say what nice folks we are? Will they discontinue their ambitions? You are smarter than that Tex. Those peckerwoods have not stopped plotting and will not stop until they are dead. So I say the sooner they are dead the better. If Murtha, Dean, Kerry & Pelosi had been around during WWII, the world might very well be speaking German & Japanese today. As I said in an earlier post we are winning and our troops are doing a good job. The Iraqi troops are increasing in number and increasing in ability to get the job done. But the rhetoric from the left has been deafening and unceasing in their ambition and goal to undermine the determination and resolve of the people of the United States. All this rhetoric is not so much aimed at the troops, but to subvert the will and resolve of American people. So I will say it again, Murtha and all the anti war crowd can KISS MY ASS!

To get back on subject of this thread, "Getting Rid of Murtha". I have a hypothetical question. If Murtha does loose his election, will we see a back peddling among Democrats concerning their "anti war" & pull out, cut and run policy ambitions?

To get back on subject of this thread, "Getting Rid of Murtha".  I have a hypothetical question.  If Murtha does loose his election, will we see a back peddling among Democrats concerning their "anti war" & pull out, cut and run policy ambitions?

242626[/snapback]

No. They will simply find another jackass to fill the void. There seems to be a never ending supply of liberal "war hero's" looking to make a name for themselves at the expense of the troops in the field.

Once again Tigermike, you have hit the ball out of the park. My hats off to you, sir.

The consumate "scumbag of a politician"? My vote probably goes to the guy who takes huge bribes to spend our tax money on certain projects than that of a politician taking a position that I think they sincerely believe. Your vote goes to the guy you disagree with politically.

242518[/snapback]

Mine goes to both equally. It may be Murtha a little more and not because he holds a different view about the war than do I. But, mainly because he jumped the gun and called our soldiers cold blooded murderers before any facts came out besides Iraqis being killed. What kind of person does that but one with an agenda?

Both scumbags I say. Do you not agree on that point?

The consumate "scumbag of a politician"? My vote probably goes to the guy who takes huge bribes to spend our tax money on certain projects than that of a politician taking a position that I think they sincerely believe. Your vote goes to the guy you disagree with politically.

242518[/snapback]

Mine goes to both equally. It may be Murtha a little more and not because he holds a different view about the war than do I. But, mainly because he jumped the gun and called our soldiers cold blooded murderers before any facts came out besides Iraqis being killed. What kind of person does that but one with an agenda?

Both scumbags I say. Do you not agree on that point?

242811[/snapback]

I don't know what information he has seen to lead him to that conclusion, but, as I've said before on this board, he certainly should have exercised more restraint in public, even if he has seen strong evidence to support that assertion. I don't know much about the guy, other than he seemed to serve quietly for over 35 years. Maybe he truly feels so passionately about this issue and that's why he has suddenly been more vocal. Or maybe old age has loosened his filters on ocassion. I do believe he is sincere, whether one agrees with him or not and I think the personal attacks on him and his service are largely very unfair.

I think there are valid arguments for staying, and I see valid arguments for phasing a withdrawal. It is very unfortunate that whatever merits those two positions may have cannot simply be discussed rationally without having one's patriotism or support for the troops questioned. As I have posted here before, many of the same Republicans who accuse the Dems of being weak and cutting and running said very similar things when we went to the Balkans.

The Duke not only stole, he sold his vote and influence directly for excessive and totally unneeded luxuries. He stole tax dollars from the hardworking men and women who pay taxes and handed it over to the corrupt military-industrial complex that Republican and General Eisenhower warned us about 45 years ago.

Tigermike frames the issue as stealing money as opposed to undermining troops in the field. I don't characterize what Murtha did that way, i.e. advocating a pullout. The argument goes, that anyone advocating a withdrawal undercuts the troops, stabs them in the back, blah, blah, blah. Framing in that way tends to shut down debate on a topic of great import to our country and, if followed, renders democratic government pretty hollow and meaningless. Are we only free to hold one view on the war? Is that what passes for freedom these days?

I posted it in another thread, but will repeat it because it applies here. Chuck Hagel is decorated combat vet and a tough, no-nonsense, straight-talking leader, the likes of which we can use more of. And we may not agree on a whole lot of things, but he understands what freedom and democracy means, and he understands what the duty to govern means, and unfortunately, that rare combination of qualities makes him standout amongst many mediocre men and women taking up space in Congress:

Congress fails in its duty when we do not probe, when we fail, we do not ask tough questions, and we fail when we do not debate the gate issues of our day. There is no issue more important than war. The war in Iraq is the defining issue on which this Congress and the administration will be judged. The American people want to see serious debate about serious issues from serious leaders. They deserve more than a political debate. This debate should transcend cynical attempts to turn public frustration with the war in Iraq into an electoral advantage. It should be taken more seriously than to simply retreat into focus-group tested buzz words and phrases like “cut and run,” catchy political slogans that debase the seriousness of war. War’s not a partisan issue, Mr. President. It should not be held hostage to political agendas. War should not be drug down into the political muck. America deserves better. Our men and women fighting and dying deserve better.

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/06/21/hagel-buzz-words/

Archived