Good SEC Preseason Look

DKW 86

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=50664

SEC football has more questions than answers

By Brett Hait, bhait@nashvillecitypaper.com

June 27, 2006

Are you ready for some football?

The annual Southeastern Conference Media Days are slated for July 26-28 in Birmingham. From there, the season, for all intents and purposes, will be in full swing and football will dominate the headlines.

As an early primer, here are some questions to ponder as summer kicks into full swing.

Is Phillip Fulmer’s job really on the line?

Some say another losing season will spell doom for the veteran Tennessee coach, who watched his team finish an uncustomary 5-6 a year ago. UT athletics director Mike Hamilton has publicly said the school expects improvement. In the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world of big-time college athletics, those who describe Fulmer’s situation as tenuous probably are not exaggerating.

Who will win the 2006 SEC title?

Allow us to gloat a little and point out that we accurately predicted a Georgia championship last year when most forecasted a Bulldogs decline. This time, the crystal ball shows Auburn claiming the crown. No team in the league was better than Auburn at the end of the 2005 season, and that momentum should carry over into 2006. In addition, three of the Tigers’ toughest opponents — Florida, LSU and Georgia — visit the Plains this fall.

Who is the SEC’s rising star?

Nashvillians might list Vanderbilt wide receiver Earl Bennett, and they would have a strong argument. For now, this distinction must go to South Carolina receiver Sidney Rice, who caught 70 passes for 1,143 yards and 13 touchdowns last season. In Coach Steve Spurrier’s offense, the sky is the limit for Rice.

Can Vanderbilt survive without Jay Cutler?

Even with Cutler, arguably the best player in school history, the Commodores could only finish 5-6 last season despite starting 4-0. Can Vanderbilt snap its 23-year run of seasons without a bowl appearance with a new quarterback? The battle will come down to Chris Nickson, who backed up Cutler last season, and Arizona transfer Richard Kovalcheck.

Will Brent Schaeffer make a difference at Ole Miss?

Schaeffer, the troubled former Tennessee quarterback who started three games for the Vols as a true freshman in 2004, has re-surfaced at Ole Miss after spending the 2005 in junior-college oblivion. Schaeffer has academic work to do this summer to be eligible, but Rebels coach Ed Orgeron is confident everything will work out. If so, the talented Schaeffer should infuse a spark into a dreadful Ole Miss offense.

Is South Carolina for real?

SEC coaches might not admit it, but they all know it’s just a matter of time before Spurrier has South Carolina in position to compete for the league championship. Lest we forget, Spurrier won big at Duke, of all places, in the 1980s before building his empire at Florida in the 1990s.

Is this the end for Rich Brooks?

The Kentucky head coach, entering his fourth season, has won only nine games in Lexington. Even at Kentucky, where long-suffering fans regularly fill 67,000-seat Commonwealth Stadium, some level of progress is expected. Brooks probably never imagined the job being this difficult, but another three-win season will likely send the former NFL head coach into permanent retirement. 

They went what, 7-5 and lost to y'all by 41? No, they're not for real.

How many years have SEC fans been told to "watch out for USC." Most of the time, that talk dies down after they lose to UGA in the second or third week in September.

You guys will win by 2 TDs in Columbia.

We flat out drilled the gamecocks in Columbia and they were at full strength. I just dont see them having the horses to run with the rest of the SEC.

I think UGA is going to absolutely hammer them after the last few years of close contests with them.

UGA will not hammer USC. Without an experienced QB, UGA will be lucky to score 28 on USC.

For some reason, USC always makes it a close game and they always seem to get UP for this game as it usually defines their season (as in, if they win...they do well...if they lose...they struggle).

With that said, USC is not heading to become any power.

They may win the East 1 or maybe even 2 times in the next 7-8 years but that is it.

Spurrier is not out-recruiting anyone nor does he have the talent he had at UF.

People love to say that Spurrier doesn't need all the talent to win and I semi-agree but I also don't agree that he can win with this USC team.

USC has an average at best OL....a bad DL....little depth/experience at DL....and they lose their best two defensive players in Ko/JJ.

USC has no proven RB, no #2 WR, and a QB who got worse as the season went on.

With that said, USC beating UGA wouldn't shock me. I just don't see USC beating UT, AU, or UF

It really wouldn't. Spurrier owns us.

Link...judging from what Mizzou did with Brad Smith...i say let a RB take the snaps from the gun and just take it up the middle. That should be good for about 45 pts.

Archived