Bama players asking same questions

quietfan

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh...6570.xml&coll=2

Players asking same questions as fans

Friday, July 07, 2006

RAY MELICK

News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA - Will Tyrone Prothro be physically ready to play this fall?

Will DJ Hall be eligible to rejoin the team after going home for the summer?

What kind of discipline will linebacker Juwan Simpson face as a result of his arrest earlier this summer for drug possession?

Those are not just the questions that Alabama fans ask each other as the 2006 football season gets closer.

The Crimson Tide players wonder about those things, too.

"They are all still a big part of the team," said senior fullback Le'Ron McClain. "But we do talk about keep going. Whether those people play or not, we just keep getting ready for the season."

There is still no official word regarding the futures of Prothro (who broke his leg in the fifth game of the season) or Hall (who left the team this summer to return home to Fort Walton Beach, Fla.) or Simpson.

"I see Pro (Prothro) every day in the training room, going through rehab," said senior offensive tackle Kyle Tatum.

"He's doing all he can to get back," Tatum added. "He's been on and off crutches, but deep in my heart I believe he'll play football again. That's just the way he is."

The same is essentially said of Hall and Simpson.

"DJ's coming back, I believe," said senior tailback Kenneth Darby. "He's just got to take care of whatever he's got to take care of. Then he'll be back and ready to go."

As for Simpson, "I have nothing bad to say about Juwan," said defensive end Wallace Gilberry. "I love the guy. He messed up, and he knows it. But everything he needs to do, he's doing it. He's here, working out with the rest of us, getting ready to play."

While Prothro continues to push to play this fall, the reality is that he's not been able to do much more than walk without crutches.

"I don't want to say," Darby said of Prothro, "but I don't think he'll be back this fall. Not for the first few games, anyway. I think he's going to sit out this year.

"But he's Superman. We know he wants to be there with us this season. ... And if he does come back, hooray. Who wouldn't want him on your team? If he's back, we're all cheers and smiles. If not, then we know he'll be there as one of our biggest fans."

They have seen Prothro making progress, however.

"Prothro is moving a lot better," said sophomore quarterback John Parker Wilson. "He comes out and coaches the guys in pass (drills). I feel encouraged. He's moving more than I've seen him move in three or four months, getting up and down the field helping guys learn (pass) routes."

As for Simpson, Wilson believes whatever head coach Mike Shula decides will be fair.

"Coach Shula talks about discipline," said Wilson, who was suspended for one game last fall after being arrested for driving under the influence. "He talks about it every Thursday, when we have a character meeting. He talks about what is right, what is wrong, and what will happen if we do wrong. ... He'll be fair."

If Prothro is still off/on with the crutches, I'd say he's looking at a redshirt year for sure.

Kind of surprized the players don't know more about DJ Hall's and Juwan Simpson's status. Or maybe they do have some better info, but are just not sharing with the press.

Sadly, I think Prothro is headed down A.C.'s path.

245732[/snapback]

It looks that way.

Alabama will redshirt Prothro, but 9 months after the injury and he's still on crutches, it just doesn't look good. Even if he can come back, he'll never be 100%. It sure is sad seing someone like him go down like this. He always gave 110% and put it all on the line for Alabama.

245732[/snapback]

It looks that way.

Alabama will redshirt Prothro, but 9 months after the injury and he's still on crutches, it just doesn't look good. Even if he can come back, he'll never be 100%. It sure is sad seing someone like him go down like this. He always gave 110% and put it all on the line for Alabama.

245766[/snapback]

It's really too bad he played for a coach that is/was so greedy that he's calling high risk pass play's when he should be getting out of the game.

Shiela made the bad call and Prothro is paying. In fact, bammie is paying. Way to go, Mikey.

245732[/snapback]

It looks that way.

245766[/snapback]

It's really too bad he played for a coach that is/was so greedy that he's calling high risk pass play's when he should be getting out of the game.

Shiela made the bad call and Prothro is paying. In fact, bammie is paying. Way to go, Mikey.

245855[/snapback]

Two things are true...1) it was very unfortunate that a kid of this talent sustained an injury of this magnitude and isn't recovering well....and 2) the point above is spot on...he should have not been in the game at this point and it was a run up the score exercise by sheila.

he should have not been in the game at this point and it was a run up the score exercise by sheila.

Even though Tubby did the same thing with Jason Campbell and Brandon Cox.... :rolleyes:

he should have not been in the game at this point and it was a run up the score exercise by sheila.

Even though Tubby did the same thing with Jason Campbell and Brandon Cox.... :rolleyes:

245910[/snapback]

Ya let me tell you, Tubberville is just known for running up scores..

Give me a break.

We werent running up the score...and neither was Tubby when he had Campbell in the 4th Q up by 20 something with 3 mins left.

If your starting Quarterback is in with 3 mins to go on the clock and you are up by 4 TDs...i dont see how thats any different than having your slot receiver in the game at the start of the 4th Q against a high powered offense. ESPECIALLY on a drive that started in the third Quarter.

245732[/snapback]

It looks that way.

245766[/snapback]

245855[/snapback]

Thats a D!ck thing to say.

Good to see flipper is "talking" about discipline. Now, if he could just learn HOW to actually implement it into his "program".(Hint: It just ain't gonna' happen)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::poke:

Archived